Event type for....

Brad Rogers
Hello All,

A person in my wife's family applied for, and was granted, Freedom of
the City of London based on their paternity (this was in 1897).  TBH, IDK
what event type to use for that.  I was thinking "Elected", the
predefined vocational event.

What does the panel think?

--
 Regards  _
Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry

Re: Event type for....

Ron Johnson
On 06/18/2017 12:51 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
Hello All,

A person in my wife's family applied for, and was granted, Freedom of
the City of London based on their paternity (this was in 1897).  TBH, IDK
what event type to use for that.  I was thinking "Elected", the
predefined vocational event.

What does the panel think?

He was honoured, not Elected.   Thus, I'd create a custom event type named "Honoured".

Re: Event type for....

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 13:07:18 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>He was honoured, not Elected.

Much better, but in this case, not entirely accurate.  My man was not
honoured, per se.  There are four ways of gaining Freedom, including
being honoured.  The other three are; servitude, patrimony (my case) or
redemption (i.e. purchase) which can be further sub-divided.

Freedom of the City isn't solely an honorary title (some might argue
pedantry on my part), but was (and still is in some cases) a requirement
for certain trades, professions and political offices.  See;
<https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/visitor-information/Documents/14-city-freedom-archives.pdf>

Despite all that, Honour is what I'll probably end up using.  Thanks,
Ron.

--
 Regards  _
I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax

Re: Event type for....

paul womack
Brad Rogers wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A person in my wife's family applied for, and was granted, Freedom of
> the City of London based on their paternity (this was in 1897).  TBH, IDK
> what event type to use for that.  I was thinking "Elected", the
> predefined vocational event.
>
> What does the panel think?

I created an event type "Public Life" for this
sort of thing. I also use it for opening fetes,
making speeches, donations for the poor etc.

  BugBear