Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

John W. Kitz-3
All,

I recently came across the adoption of a last name by an individual who up
to then went by a patronymic name of the form <first-name>
<first-name-of-the-father>+s, as it relates to the implementation of Civil
Registries in the early 1800's in The Netherlands under French law (Code
Napoleon).

Following earlier email exchanges with e.g. Dave, I've already used the name
editor to enter both the patronymic and patrilineal names and I could limit
myself to referring to the certificate, in the name adoption register, in
which the last name is legally adopted, as the source of the last name, but
I thought it would be appropriate to enter the adoption of a last name as an
event.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, based on prior experience from others, how
to (best) deal with this.

Regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

Absolutely. Put the Adoption of the name as an event especially if you
have the actual date and the supporting documentation.

There is an Adopted event but I see that as a child becoming the child
of non-biological parents. You would need to create a custom event.

Not knowing exactly what is entailed to alter a name in the
jurisdiction, I hesitate to offer a suggestion. To change a person's
name in the US, except at the time of a marriage, it takes going to
court so I would create a Legal event while using the description
field to specify what type of legal activity. Not sure if name changes
are handled in a Probate court which is a standard event type but
carries certain expectations of what it entails.

Dave

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I recently came across the adoption of a last name by an individual who up
> to then went by a patronymic name of the form <first-name>
> <first-name-of-the-father>+s, as it relates to the implementation of Civil
> Registries in the early 1800's in The Netherlands under French law (Code
> Napoleon).
>
> Following earlier email exchanges with e.g. Dave, I've already used the name
> editor to enter both the patronymic and patrilineal names and I could limit
> myself to referring to the certificate, in the name adoption register, in
> which the last name is legally adopted, as the source of the last name, but
> I thought it would be appropriate to enter the adoption of a last name as an
> event.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions, based on prior experience from others, how
> to (best) deal with this.
>
> Regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

I unintentionally went off-list, so I'm re-sending (with some minor
changes).

> On 2017-12-03 23:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>

>> Absolutely. Put the Adoption of the name as an event especially if you
>> have the actual date and the supporting documentation.

Adopting a last name does have a specific date and certificate
associated with it.

>> There is an Adopted event but I see that as a child becoming the child
>> of non-biological parents. You would need to create a custom event.

That was indeed what I was considering.

>> Not knowing exactly what is entailed to alter a name in the
>> jurisdiction, I hesitate to offer a suggestion.

My question does not pertain to altering one's (last) name, but to
adopting one by an individual who didn't have one. This used to occur
in the early 1800's, to my understanding, when The Netherlands (as
well as other countries) was under French rule and people were first
required by (Napoleontic or French) law to have a last or family name.

Prior to that in many areas people had patronymic names of the form
<first-name> <first-name-of-the-father>+s or some other addition to
represent the relationship to the father.

I.e. prior to Civil Registries if your father's first name was Pete,
in the specific area I'm looking at, you would been given the first
name Dave when baptized and you would have gone by the name Dave
Petes (son of Pete). If you in turn would have had a son that you
would have named Roger when baptized, he would have gone by the name
Roger Daves (son of Dave).

When the Civil Registries were instituted in the early 1800, I believe
mostly in 1811, you would have been required by law to choose a last
or family name as we know it today, if you didn't already have one.

I've only looked at a few of these name adoption registers, but it is
my understanding the process did not involve any court at all, but was
a carried out by the major, in smaller municipalities, or by one of
the civil servants responsible for maintaining the Civil Registry.

>> To change a person's
>> name in the US, except at the time of a marriage, it takes going to
>> court so I would create a Legal event while using the description
>> field to specify what type of legal activity.

To the best of my knowledge going to court is what it would take today
in The Netherlands as well, but I'm referring to events that occurred
in the early 1800, when the transition was made from religious
registries as the prime means of keeping track of births, marriages,
deaths, burials, changes in residence (and thus one's church), etc. to
using civil registries for that purpose.

>> Not sure if name changes
>> are handled in a Probate court which is a standard event type but
>> carries certain expectations of what it entails.

Assuming my understanding of the purpose of a probate court in the US
is correct, a name change would not be accurately reflected by a
Probate event. Conversely, and again assuming my understanding of the
purpose of a US Probate court is correct, I don't think the Dutch
legal system does have courts specifically for that purpose nor does
the process of executing a will, again to the best of my knowledge,
require a court's involvement unless there is/are parties that are in
some, way, shape or form in disagreement with a will or it's execution.

>> Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

John W. Kitz-3
Dave, (and all),

On 2017-12-03 23:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:

>>> Not knowing exactly what is entailed to alter a name in the
>>> jurisdiction, I hesitate to offer a suggestion.
>
> My question does not pertain to altering one's (last) name, but to
> adopting one by an individual who didn't have one. This used to occur
> in the early 1800's, to my understanding, when The Netherlands (as
> well as other countries) was under French rule and people were first
> required by (Napoleontic or French) law to have a last or family name.
>
> Prior to that in many areas people had patronymic names of the form
> <first-name> <first-name-of-the-father>+s or some other addition to
> represent the relationship to the father.
>
> I.e. prior to Civil Registries if your father's first name was Pete,
> in the specific area I'm looking at, you would been given the first
> name Dave when baptized and you would have gone by the name Dave
> Petes (son of Pete). If you in turn would have had a son that you
> would have named Roger when baptized, he would have gone by the name
> Roger Daves (son of Dave).
>
> When the Civil Registries were instituted in the early 1800, I believe
> mostly in 1811, you would have been required by law to choose a last
> or family name as we know it today, if you didn't already have one.
>
> I've only looked at a few of these name adoption registers, but it is
> my understanding the process did not involve any court at all, but was
> a carried out by the major, in smaller municipalities, or by one of
> the civil servants responsible for maintaining the Civil Registry.
>
>>> To change a person's
>>> name in the US, except at the time of a marriage, it takes going to
>>> court so I would create a Legal event while using the description
>>> field to specify what type of legal activity.
>
> To the best of my knowledge going to court is what it would take today
> in The Netherlands as well, but I'm referring to events that occurred
> in the early 1800, when the transition was made from religious
> registries as the prime means of keeping track of births, marriages,
> deaths, burials, changes in residence (and thus one's church), etc. to
> using civil registries for that purpose.

I noticed there are quite a number of articles on various weblogs about
this topic, some of which IMHO tend to oversimplify (as did I above) the
topic of the transition from patronymic to family or last names as well
as from church to civil registries.

So I decided to look it up, in a publication dating from 1993, that
someone at some point referred me to, and include the following here for
reference, should anyone happen to find this thread in the future.

According to that publication (ISBN 90-70324-66-0, pages 47, 81, 82 and
others), authored by a professor at the University of Groningen, The
Netherlands and published by the Dutch Central Bureau for Genealogy
entitled "First- and Family names in The Netherlands - History,
Distribution, Form and Use", the legal requirement to adopt or legalize
and fix one's last name in The Netherlands was a result of a French law
'aux prénoms et changement de noms' (or in English on first names and
changing of (last) names), dating from the 1st of April 1803 (or 11
germinal an XI according to the French Republican Calendar[1],[2] of the
time), that was declared into effect in The Netherlands twice, on the
8th of November 1810 and the 6th January 1811 respectively, following
the annexation of (the remainder of) The Netherlands by France in 1810.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germinal_(French_Republican_Calendar)

On 2017-12-03 23:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>

> Absolutely. Put the Adoption of the name as an event especially if you
> have the actual date and the supporting documentation.
>
> There is an Adopted event but I see that as a child becoming the child
> of non-biological parents. You would need to create a custom event.

All considering I decided to add a custom event 'Name' with the
intention to use it to cover both the adoption of a last name as part of
the transition from religious to civil status registries as well as
changes of a name under the legislation applicable to the civil status
registries, should I encounter any in the future.

For the time being I used the description field to distinguish the
adoption of a patrilineal last name by those that didn't have one - and
typically relied on patronymic names - prior to the introduction of
civil status registries in the early 1800's from any (legal) name
changes after that, but I may change that to attaching a common
explanatory note to all such events in the future should I deem that
necessary.

> Not knowing exactly what is entailed to alter a name in the
> jurisdiction, I hesitate to offer a suggestion. To change a person's
> name in the US, except at the time of a marriage, it takes going to
> court so I would create a Legal event while using the description
> field to specify what type of legal activity. Not sure if name changes
> are handled in a Probate court which is a standard event type but
> carries certain expectations of what it entails.
>
> Dave

Thanks for your input, regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

Dave Scheipers
Hi John,

I'm glad you settled on a standard using the events to record official
changes. Having specific dates when these changes occurred lends
itself to this course of action. Which name (or names) are you putting
in the name editor? in particular which name? The name they were born
with or the name they died with as the preferred name that displays in
reports etc.?

Dave

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 2017-12-03 23:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>

>> Absolutely. Put the Adoption of the name as an event especially if you
>> have the actual date and the supporting documentation.
>>
>> There is an Adopted event but I see that as a child becoming the child
>> of non-biological parents. You would need to create a custom event.
>

> All considering I decided to add a custom event 'Name' with the intention to
> use it to cover both the adoption of a last name as part of the transition
> from religious to civil status registries as well as changes of a name under
> the legislation applicable to the civil status registries, should I
> encounter any in the future.
>
> For the time being I used the description field to distinguish the adoption
> of a patrilineal last name by those that didn't have one - and typically
> relied on patronymic names - prior to the introduction of civil status
> registries in the early 1800's from any (legal) name changes after that, but
> I may change that to attaching a common explanatory note to all such events
> in the future should I deem that necessary.
>
>> Not knowing exactly what is entailed to alter a name in the
>> jurisdiction, I hesitate to offer a suggestion. To change a person's
>> name in the US, except at the time of a marriage, it takes going to
>> court so I would create a Legal event while using the description
>> field to specify what type of legal activity. Not sure if name changes
>> are handled in a Probate court which is a standard event type but
>> carries certain expectations of what it entails.
>>
>> Dave
>

> Thanks for your input, regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

John W. Kitz-3
Hi Dave,

On 2017-12-11 23:29, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I'm glad you settled on a standard using the events to record official
> changes. Having specific dates when these changes occurred lends
> itself to this course of action.

My reasoning is that the incidence of name changes in a typical family
tree probably won't be that high (to date I found only one, but expect
more to follow since the geographic path taken by the individuals, in
the particular branch I've been working on recently, leads me to a part
of the country were patronymic names seem to have been quite common
before the introduction of the civil registry), which (for now) lead me
to conclude that two separate custom events, to distinguish between
adopting a name and changing one, was overdoing it.

By the time I'll start finding several dozen or more individuals that
had to adopt a last name I'll probably start attaching some common
explanatory note rather than having to enter an explanation in the
description field of each event.

> Which name (or names) are you putting
> in the name editor?

I haven't input all data yet, but I intend to go about it in
chronological order, i.e. the individuals whom it concerned were born
and baptized in an era in which the religious registries were used, the
civil ones were introduced as a result of which some had to adopt a last
name, and after that they may have married, had children and typically
died in an era in which the civil registries were used.

> in particular which name? The name they were born
> with or the name they died with as the preferred name that displays in
> reports etc.?

Not having entered all data yet I haven't decided, but since you ask at
this point in time I'm inclined to favor their name as it is recorded in
the civil registry since any (male) descendants will have been known by
that last name too as opposed to by the constantly changing patronymic
names prior to the moment at which the last name was adopted, which was
the whole point of the legal requirement to have a last name to begin
with.

> Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: Experiences entering the adoption of a last name.

John W. Kitz-3
Dave, (and all),

I'm re-sending part of an earlier message including several links, among
others one to a brief discussion in English about the French law that I
referred to in the earlier message.

On 2017-12-11 23:29, Dave Scheipers wrote:

>> Hi John,
>>
>> I'm glad you settled on a standard using the events to record official
>> changes. Having specific dates when these changes occurred lends
>> itself to this course of action.
>
> My reasoning is that the incidence of name changes in a typical family
> tree probably won't be that high (to date I found only one, but expect
> more to follow since the geographic path taken by the individuals, in
> the particular branch I've been working on recently, leads me to a part
> of the country were patronymic names seem to have been quite common
> before the introduction of the civil registry), which (for now) lead me
> to conclude that two separate custom events, to distinguish between
> adopting a name and changing one, was overdoing it.
>
> By the time I'll start finding several dozen or more individuals that
> had to adopt a last name I'll probably start attaching some common
> explanatory note rather than having to enter an explanation in the
> description field of each event.
>
>> Which name (or names) are you putting
>> in the name editor?

In addition depending on what custom name formatting one already entered
in Gramps (in my case as per previous email exchanges in which I believe
you explained me this feature) prior to entering one of these name
adoptions one may have to enter at least one, may be two custom name
formats.

Such as, depending on one's personal preferences, 'Primary[sur] Prefix,
Given Patronymic[sur]' for an individual's combined first, patronymic as
well as adopted patrilineal last names applicable after having gone
through the name adoption process, resulting in the full name being
displayed or printed as: 'Lastname, First or Given name followed by the
Patronym'.

As well as probably, but I haven't tried and tested this yet, something
like 'Given Patronymic[sur]' for an individual's first and patronymic
names prior to having gone through the name adoption process and
assuming one had to adopt a last name since one didn't have one,
resulting in the full name being displayed or printed as: 'First or
Given name followed by the Patronym'.

FYI I included a link[1] to two randomly selected examples.

The top certificate on the left page pertains to a gentleman named J.C.
Ritsma who had a last name (Ritsma) prior to the mandatory adoption of
last names and therefore opted to continue to use those first, middle
and last names.

The top certificate on the right page pertains to a gentleman who, until
going through the mandatory name adoption process, went by the name Sape
Pieters (i.e. first or given name Sape followed by the patronym Pieters
(or son of Pieter) and hence the suggested format 'Given
Patronymic[sur]') and choose to adopt the last name 'van der Woude'.
I.e. after that he appeared in the civil registers as 'Sape Pieters van
der Woude' (hence the format 'Primary[sur] Prefix, Given
Patronymic[sur]').

The (right) certificate also shows he had two children, a girl name
Ymkje (or IJmkje) and a boy named Pieter who from then on probably
appeared in the civil registers as Ymkje (or IJmkje) van der Woude and
Pieter van der Woude, whereas before their father adopted the last name
of 'van der Woude' they probably were known as and went by Ymkje
(IJmkje) Sapes (daughter of Sape) and Pieter Sapes (son of Sape)
respectively.

In addition, from that point onward any children the boy Pieter van der
Woude (previously Pieter Sapes) may have had will have been registered
in civil registries with the last name 'van der Woude', which is why at
this time I favor setting the adopted name of whoever had to adopt a
last name as preferred rather than the actual Given and Patronymic name
with which the individual may have been entered into religious
registers, such as a church's book of baptisms.

[1] https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS63-KSQQ-4

> I haven't input all data yet, but I intend to go about it in
> chronological order, i.e. the individuals whom it concerned were born
> and baptized in an era in which the religious registries were used, the
> civil ones were introduced as a result of which some had to adopt a
> last
> name, and after that they may have married, had children and typically
> died in an era in which the civil registries were used.

Or they married and had children prior to having had to adopt a last
name f course.

>> in particular which name? The name they were born
>> with or the name they died with as the preferred name that displays in
>> reports etc.?
>
> Not having entered all data yet I haven't decided, but since you ask at
> this point in time I'm inclined to favor their name as it is recorded
> in
> the civil registry since any (male) descendants will have been known by
> that last name too as opposed to by the constantly changing patronymic
> names prior to the moment at which the last name was adopted, which was
> the whole point of the legal requirement to have a last name to begin
> with.
>

>> Dave

I hope this clarifies things further.

Regards, Jk.