Export View and Import CSV

Tony Gordon
I have a large number of events (over 6000 out of over 25000) that I want to set as private so I can produce reports without releasing private information. Using Export View I have created a CSV file of these events. So I could see how private events are exported, the file also contains a small number of private events. When I open the CSV in Libreoffice, these private events have gramps-lock in the Private column. I copied gramps-lock into the all of the cells under Private, created the new CSV (which looks the same in a text editor as the original except all lines now end with gramps-lock), and imported it. I expected it to update the data but nothing changed. Is the updating of the data what should have happened, and if so what am I missing?

The CSV file has the headings Type, Main Participants, Date, ID, Private.

I am using Gramps 4.2.6 on Fedora 27.

Regards
Tony

Re: Export View and Import CSV

GRAMPS - User mailing list
You could export the tree to gramps XML (use Family Tree/Make Backup), edit the XML and then re-import it to a new tree. There is no need to include media in the backup. Gramps compresses the XML, so you will need to uncompress before you can edit. I use "7-Zip file manager" on windows. I'm sure there is a tool available in Fedora. There is no need to re-compress the edited XML before you import it into gramps.

The XML file is fairly easy to interpret. Events are private if they have priv="1" in the XML.

<event handle="_dc4e65cfd492ee61eb0bb72ffa4" change="1513933433" id="E0001" priv="1">
    <type>Death</type>
    <dateval val="1950"/>
</event>

Mary Lynch