Export to Gedcom with some media filtering

Export to Gedcom with some media filtering

brian fitzgerald
I am using the export options wizard tool, from 5.0b1, to create a Gedcom for a dna-related website but I am finding that there is no good way to exclude a lot of the media and events I have associated with the existing data.
Many of these would be readily usable to re-identify me, so I should sanitize much of the data prior to export.
There does not seem to be a 'media filter' option, nor an 'event filter' option. The same is true for a 'place filter' option and 'source/citations', of course.

I wonder if anyone else had had this thought and how they might have addresses it. Perhaps there is a compound filter that someone possesses which could do this.
There are some existing guidelines (complicated unfortunately!) for de-identifying PII and maybe they could be used as a starting point.

Should this be a feature request, as well?

Thanks in advance  for any thoughts.
Brian

Re: Export to Gedcom with some media filtering

Philip Weiss

On May 27 2018, at 8:26 am, brian fitzgerald <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Plugin "Export GEDCOM Extensions (GED2)" has an option to exclude media. There's no filter though, just exclude or not exclude.

Phil.

On 05/27/2018 10:26 AM, brian fitzgerald wrote:
> I am using the export options wizard tool, from 5.0b1, to create a Gedcom
> for a dna-related website but I am finding that there is no good way to
> exclude a lot of the media and events I have associated with the existing
> data.
> Many of these would be readily usable to re-identify me, so I should
> sanitize much of the data prior to export.
> There does not seem to be a 'media filter' option, nor an 'event filter'
> option. The same is true for a 'place filter' option and
> 'source/citations', of course.

In 4.2, I usually backup (without media) then import to a new tree and then
delete all events except birth and death.  From there, a few rounds of
Remove Unused Objects gets rid of all the unnecessary stuff.  Then I export
to GEDCOM and delete that temporary tree.