Exporting and importing to XML

Martnal
Following a problem with a third party addon, the developer advisef me to
export my data and media as XML, and then re import it into a new empty
database. I did this (and it fixed the problem, but HOW?) and all seems well
now.

What should I check to ensure that I can reliably trust the new version of
my data?  I will of course backup the old version before carrying on with
the new version.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML

Nick Hall
On 06/12/17 11:56, Martnal wrote:
> Following a problem with a third party addon, the developer advisef me to
> export my data and media as XML, and then re import it into a new empty
> database. I did this (and it fixed the problem, but HOW?) and all seems well
> now.

An export and import will rebuild the reference map, secondary tables
(indexes) and some of the metadata.  What was the original problem?

> What should I check to ensure that I can reliably trust the new version of
> my data?  I will of course backup the old version before carrying on with
> the new version.

The XML that you imported is a backup.

Are you worried that the database was missing data before the export?

Re: Exporting and importing to XML

Martnal
Nick, on one of my three databases (my main one) I was crashing GRAMPS 4.2.6
when I ran Reports, Web Pages - Network ChART.

It failed reliably on just that one database, as soon as I pressed enter to
generate the report.  The developer advised me to export and import as XML.

I just want a 'warm feeling' that I am safe to carry on with the newly
imported version, which fixed the problem, although I don't understand how.
I have kept a permanent copy of the old version, but I worry about not
finding a problem for many weeks.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Martnal
Nick, I've just been visually inspecting things, and in my old database I
have about 30 media entries where the drive letter has disappeared and the
slash signs in the paths have changed direction.

In my new version this has happened to ALL my media.  My files as shown in
GRAMPS are stored in

Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media/

and further sub-folders below.  The (E:\) drive designator letter has
vanished.

The "Base path for relative media paths" is set in both to
E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media

Please help, I'm not having a good day.

Martin

-----

On 12/06/2017 07:10 AM, Martnal wrote:

> Nick, I've just been visually inspecting things, and in my old database I
> have about 30 media entries where the drive letter has disappeared and the
> slash signs in the paths have changed direction.
>
> In my new version this has happened to ALL my media.  My files as shown in
> GRAMPS are stored in
>
> Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media/
>
> and further sub-folders below.  The (E:\) drive designator letter has
> vanished.
>
> The "Base path for relative media paths" is set in both to
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media
>
> Please help, I'm not having a good day.

Is your media still visible from Gramps?

On 06/12/17 13:10, Martnal wrote:

> Nick, I've just been visually inspecting things, and in my old database I
> have about 30 media entries where the drive letter has disappeared and the
> slash signs in the paths have changed direction.
>
> In my new version this has happened to ALL my media.  My files as shown in
> GRAMPS are stored in
>
> Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media/
>
> and further sub-folders below.  The (E:\) drive designator letter has
> vanished.
>
> The "Base path for relative media paths" is set in both to
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media
>
> Please help, I'm not having a good day.

Look at the XML.  If the media objects have checksums, then the
third-party Media Verify tool should be able to fix the paths for you.
If not the Media Manager tool has a search and replace facility.

I recommend using relative media paths.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Hi Martin,

When you add media files, there is a check box for setting a relative
path based upon the media file location you set in preferences so
depending on how this box was checked at the time of adding will
determine the inclusion of drive letters etc or not.

The path will normally have the forward slash (\). But if you ever
re-imported your backup into a new empty database, for some reason,
the media records all import with a back slash (/). New records will
have the forward slash so now you have a mixed field. I sort my media
files by path name so when this happens its irksome.

Media Manager can fix both issues.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick, I've just been visually inspecting things, and in my old database I
> have about 30 media entries where the drive letter has disappeared and the
> slash signs in the paths have changed direction.
>
> In my new version this has happened to ALL my media.  My files as shown in
> GRAMPS are stored in
>
> Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media/
>
> and further sub-folders below.  The (E:\) drive designator letter has
> vanished.
>
> The "Base path for relative media paths" is set in both to
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media
>
> Please help, I'm not having a good day.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Martnal
Firstly, to Ron, my Media is safe, but I get the large red X box if I try to
view something.

Nick, I am correcting, in the old database, the 30-odd media items with
forward (/) slashes, then I will export the whole database, and import it
again and see what happens.  I wonder if the wrong slashes are what caused
the original addon problem?  (Only a guess as I am out of my depth.)

I can't imagine how a seemingly random selection of items got the wrong
slash.  I haven't done any

I'm going to do all this very slowly, so it might not be until tomorrow
afternoon, ue to other activities.

PS , I just saw Dave's comment.  This might be what happened.  Further
reason for taking it all VERY slowly.

I always worry about having an un-noticed problem, doing several backups and
then finding the error.

Martin.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Martnal
It's me again.  I decided I couldn't concentrate on anything else without
resolving this.  I have now exported and imported the corrected data.

I now have ALL my paths with the wrong slash and no drive letter.  What
should I do next?

As I have many subfolders of the  base path for relative media, doing many
substring replacements in the path would be gruesome.

Needless to say, thank you.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Dave Scheipers
Hi Martin

Use Media Manager

Just for the slash conversion use the Replace substrings in the path.
Replace / with \

you already have a backup so your info is safe.

Dave

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's me again.  I decided I couldn't concentrate on anything else without
> resolving this.  I have now exported and imported the corrected data.
>
> I now have ALL my paths with the wrong slash and no drive letter.  What
> should I do next?
>
> As I have many subfolders of the  base path for relative media, doing many
> substring replacements in the path would be gruesome.
>
> Needless to say, thank you.
>
> Martin
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Martnal
Dave, just to clarify this, the Replace will just replace EVERY SINGLE
INDIVIDUAL wrong slash with the correct one changing
"E:/Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media" to "
E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media" and all the subfolders?

Then what about the Drive letter?  Do I then just repeat, changing 'Docum'
to 'E:\Docum'  ?

I'm glad I'm not a new user!!

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Martin, SW London

My Gedmatch DNA Kit# is H062246

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.6-1 on Windows 10.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool), Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool), Ballard & Glassop (E. London),  Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool, & Barnington, Yorks.)  Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).  I use GRAMPS 4.2.6 software.

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Dave Scheipers
The replace sub-string will replace every instance of / with \ in the
path field. even for sub-folders.

Using the Media Manager's Set all paths to Absolute (I've never used)
or Set all paths to relative (I've used) will fix the slashes and fix
drive letters etc. all at the same time. As always, make sure you have
a recent backup before doing any batch editing like this.

I use the Relative paths, and it is what Nick suggests, so the only
path I see are the subfolders under the media folder I set in
Preferences. I use C:\Users\Public\Genealogy\Media on Win10 and all my
media files are in sub-folders in this directory.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave, just to clarify this, the Replace will just replace EVERY SINGLE
> INDIVIDUAL wrong slash with the correct one changing
> "E:/Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media" to "
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media" and all the subfolders?
>
> Then what about the Drive letter?  Do I then just repeat, changing 'Docum'
> to 'E:\Docum'  ?
>
> I'm glad I'm not a new user!!

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.
>
> I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Exporting and importing to XML

Martnal; A Gramps XML file is what is used for the 'backup'.  It is pretty much the gold standard for Gramps data interchange.  Since your db was corrupted, (at least one Persons Death event was improperly recorded in the db) that persons connection to the death event may have been lost, or perhaps relegated to a secondary death event.

P.s.  It was not necessary to make an XML with media, although that did not hurt.  Just the XML was sufficient.

For Nick; the Person.death_ref_index was invalid, outside the range of the Person.event_ref_list.  Since most of Gramps code uses Person.get_death_ref(), which checks for validity and silently returns None for invalid, this may have gone undetected for a long time.  The Addon that failed, directly used the Person.death_ref_index and got an index error.  Check and Repair would not fix this, but XML export/import would.

Paul C.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Martin,

> In my new version this has happened to ALL my media.  My files as shown in
> GRAMPS are stored in
>
> Documents/Genealogy/GRAMPS/Media/
>
> and further sub-folders below.  The (E:\) drive designator letter has
> vanished.
This is sort of normal when you use backups with media. I recommend that
you never use such backups, unless you have no backup plan for your
media and other personal files, or want to transfer a backup with media
to another PC. Backups without are much faster, smaller, and they don't
mess up your media path.

> The "Base path for relative media paths" is set in both to
> E:\Documents\Genealogy\GRAMPS\Media
>
> Please help, I'm not having a good day.
First, if you still have a recent backup without media, i.e. one in
.gramps format, I recommend that you restore that into a new tree. If
you use that, you will see that media files have the relative paths that
you were used to.

Second, don't worry about forward slashes in the paths of your media. If
they are relative paths, Gramps will attach those to the base path, and
make sure that all slashes are converted internally so that all files
can be found. Just make sure that there are no duplicate folders in the
base and media path, so that when they are concatenated, the resulting
path is where the files really are, and the relative paths are as short
as you like them to be.

I normally use Gramps on Linux, where all slashes are forward ones, and
sync all my documents with Windows, and when I restore a .gramps backup
on the latter, and then set the base path in the proper way, all media
files show up like they should.

Cheers,

Re: Exporting and importing to XML UPDATE

Martnal
I am reasonably positive that all is now well.  The replacements seem to have
gone OK.   I just hope that in a few weeks I don't discover something that
I've overlooked.  I'd hate to think that I am just backing up the same
problems each time.  Thank you all for the help, I have had a scary 24
hours.  I must look into the arguments for absolute or relative paths.

I'm very grateful for the help.

Martin

-----