Extracting transcribed census data

Martnal
Having duly transcribed lots of census forms, I want to send my data to a (newly-found) relative in Australia for her to compare.  Other than doing screen-shots of the Forms Gramplet editor pages, what is my best option, (before I learn Python, that is!) ?  Am I missing something obvious, or has nobody ever wanted to do that before?  I can't find a suitable export or report option.

Martin

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

Ron Johnson
On 08/24/2016 09:26 AM, Martnal wrote:
> Having duly transcribed lots of census forms, I want to send my data to a
> (newly-found) relative in Australia for her to compare.  Other than doing
> screen-shots of the Forms Gramplet editor pages, what is my best option,
> (before I learn Python, that is!) ?  Am I missing something obvious, or has
> nobody ever wanted to do that before?  I can't find a suitable export or
> report option.

Have you tried the text Census Report?

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

Martnal
Ron, I am unable find it on the menus. I was puzzled by the recent posting by Elvin Birth on 16th July which didn't get any replies.  Where should I be looking?  It isn't on Books, Text Reports nor Utilities.  I think my software is fully updated.

Elvin Birth on 16th July said,
"I have been using the Forms gramplet to enter Census data. Now I would like to run a Census Report but I can find it nowhere. Do I need to look somewhere other than Addons?
Elvin Birth"

Martin

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

It's in my list under the Text Reports menu.  Maybe it's an addon you need
to install.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

Nick Hall
On 25/08/16 11:35, Martnal wrote:
> Ron, I'm using 4.2.3-1.  Could that be the reason it isn't on my list?  When
> I try to use EDIT - PREFERENCES - CHECK NOW, I am fully updated.  What do I
> do, talk nicely to the developer?

I removed the census report in v4.2.  Did any one actually use it?

The report didn't look good for census returns with a large number of
columns.  However, it produced reasonable output for UK census data.

It would be very easy to include it in the third-party repository again.

What output format do you want?

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

Simon C. Tremblay
Hi Nick,

I like the flexibility of CSV output. It's easy to import in your spreadsheet software of choice and format it from there. The only drawback of CSV is when you have blobs of text that include what you define as separator...

XML is also flexible and can be parsed several ways.

Thanks for your great work on this.

Simon

On 25 August 2016 at 07:36, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25/08/16 11:35, Martnal wrote:
> Ron, I'm using 4.2.3-1.  Could that be the reason it isn't on my list?  When
> I try to use EDIT - PREFERENCES - CHECK NOW, I am fully updated.  What do I
> do, talk nicely to the developer?

I removed the census report in v4.2.  Did any one actually use it?

The report didn't look good for census returns with a large number of
columns.  However, it produced reasonable output for UK census data.

It would be very easy to include it in the third-party repository again.

What output format do you want?

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

The tab character is a great delimiter.

On 08/25/2016 07:51 AM, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I like the flexibility of CSV output. It's easy to import in your
> spreadsheet software of choice and format it from there. The only drawback
> of CSV is when you have blobs of text that include what you define as
> separator...
>
> XML is also flexible and can be parsed several ways.
>
> Thanks for your great work on this.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Extracting transcribed census data

Elvin Birth
I have resorted to using the text report "Complete Individual Report" with all the options unchecked except the Event Group "Residence" in the Sections tab and saving as a .pdf file. It's a kludge that I would not want to pass on to anyone but it is a quick and easy way to look up a census detail for someone.

Hope this is of use to someone, Elvin Birth