FHISO

ACProctor
The recent surge in Gramps emails raised a question in my head:

Are the Gramps developers intendending to participate in FHISO's standards development? Whatever standard FHISO comes up with must be capable to holding/representing data from a Gramps database (in addition to other products & data models).

Their Web site (http://fhiso.org) indicates that they're just beginning their technical work, and that will involve a number of Exploratory Groups that will look at various requirements and the overall scope. You guys are the only ones who know the internals and nuances of the Gramps data model so you need to be represented.

    Tony Proctor

Re: FHISO

jerome
Note, for information, in addition to DTD[1] and RNG[2] XML schemes,
there is an experimental basic XSD one[3], and a flat XPath
references[4] (gziped textual file).

If one needs to look at internal gramps DB relations, the webapp
documentation[5] is maybe more accessible than gramps.gen.db modules[6]?
On the other hand, there is also an experimental pseudo UML scheme[7].

About FHISO, sure gramps can monitor any new proposed standard.
Maybe via a new Gramps Enhancement Proposal[8]?

About participation, I looked at BetterGedcom in the past...
Today, I have few free time for genealogy search, testing/helping
gramps AND any new projet!

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/ci/master/tree/data/grampsxml.dtd?format=raw
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/ci/master/tree/data/grampsxml.rng?format=raw
[3]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps-addons/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/contrib/lxml/grampsxml.xsd?format=raw
[4] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/5/50/Xpaths.gz
[5]
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_013:_Gramps_Webapp#Models.2FViews
[6] https://gramps-project.org/docs/gen/gen_db.html
[7] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/2/2e/API.svg
[8] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS

Jérôme R.

Le ven. 29 août 2014 at 9:51, Tony Proctor <[hidden email]> a écrit
:

> The recent surge in Gramps emails raised a question in my head:
>
> Are the Gramps developers intendending to participate in FHISO's
> standards development? Whatever standard FHISO comes up with must be
> capable to holding/representing data from a Gramps database (in
> addition to other products & data models).
>
> Their Web site (http://fhiso.org) indicates that they're just
> beginning their technical work, and that will involve a number of
> Exploratory Groups that will look at various requirements and the
> overall scope. You guys are the only ones who know the internals and
> nuances of the Gramps data model so you need to be represented.
>
>     Tony Proctor

Re: FHISO

ACProctor
You're sending me these links Jérôme but FHISO will not have the manpower to
deeply research the requirements of every product and data-model. That's why
I stressed that Gramps really needs a representative there from the start,
as opposed to simply monitoring any proposed standard. Features have to be
designed in there.

    Tony

Note, for information, in addition to DTD[1] and RNG[2] XML schemes,
there is an experimental basic XSD one[3], and a flat XPath
references[4] (gziped textual file).

If one needs to look at internal gramps DB relations, the webapp
documentation[5] is maybe more accessible than gramps.gen.db modules[6]?
On the other hand, there is also an experimental pseudo UML scheme[7].

About FHISO, sure gramps can monitor any new proposed standard.
Maybe via a new Gramps Enhancement Proposal[8]?

About participation, I looked at BetterGedcom in the past...
Today, I have few free time for genealogy search, testing/helping
gramps AND any new projet!

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/ci/master/tree/data/grampsxml.dtd?format=raw
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/source/ci/master/tree/data/grampsxml.rng?format=raw
[3]
http://sourceforge.net/p/gramps-addons/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/contrib/lxml/grampsxml.xsd?format=raw
[4] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/5/50/Xpaths.gz
[5]
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_013:_Gramps_Webapp#Models.2FViews
[6] https://gramps-project.org/docs/gen/gen_db.html
[7] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/images/2/2e/API.svg
[8] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS

Jérôme R.

Le ven. 29 août 2014 at 9:51, Tony Proctor <[hidden email]> a écrit
:

> The recent surge in Gramps emails raised a question in my head:
>  Are the Gramps developers intendending to participate in FHISO's
> standards development? Whatever standard FHISO comes up with must be
> capable to holding/representing data from a Gramps database (in addition
> to other products & data models).
>  Their Web site (http://fhiso.org) indicates that they're just beginning
> their technical work, and that will involve a number of Exploratory Groups
> that will look at various requirements and the overall scope. You guys are
> the only ones who know the internals and nuances of the Gramps data model
> so you need to be represented.
>  Tony Proctor

Re: FHISO

jerome
Tony,

Sorry, these links were rather for any gramps-dev who wants to
participate to FHISO... Not send directly to you but on mailing list,
where you was in copy.

Just to know from where gramps could 'go to' or 'go from' (data
exchange) without re-inventing the wheel!

Manpower is also a problem for the gramps project.

  Jérôme