FYI: PyGTK

Paul Franklin-5
I suppose it's all old news to many of you developers but I
just read it and I thought I'd paste a few words here, from
http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/author/admin/
and a post he made 3 April.  (He's the lead author and the
originator of osmgpsmap, which again I assume you probably
already know but which I hadn't.)

He said (excerpted):

I just released PyGTK 2.24, which will almost certainly be
the last major PyGTK release. The future of Python on the
GNOME platform is PyGObject + GObject Introspection.

and then later:

To clarify a point raised in the comments, PyGTK will be
maintained in the exact same was as the GTK+-2.0 series will
be maintained. Bug fix releases will be made if necessary,
but no new features will be added. If you want the new
GTK+-3.0 features then you should use PyGObject + GObject
Introspection.

Re: FYI: PyGTK

Richard Taylor-2
I think that this is going to be a good thing in the long-run but
porting gramps will take some effort.

I have spent a few mins reading some of the docs online. The big
advantage of GObject introspection is that it should always track the
latest version of GTK+ and the python bindings will never fall behind.
So GTK3 should be available to us more quickly. Hopefully it will also
make the support on other platforms (e.g. OS X) more reliable.

Porting gramps from PyGTK to GObject Introspection (GI) looks like a
largely mechanical exercise:
http://live.gnome.org/PyGObjec/IntrospectionPorting

GI should also give access to more libraries. For example
http://developer.gnome.org/libpeas/1.0/ looks interesting.

The hardest decision will be when to port.

Ricard

On 29/04/2011 05:30, Paul Franklin wrote:

> I suppose it's all old news to many of you developers but I
> just read it and I thought I'd paste a few words here, from
> http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/author/admin/
> and a post he made 3 April.  (He's the lead author and the
> originator of osmgpsmap, which again I assume you probably
> already know but which I hadn't.)
>
> He said (excerpted):
>
> I just released PyGTK 2.24, which will almost certainly be
> the last major PyGTK release. The future of Python on the
> GNOME platform is PyGObject + GObject Introspection.
>
> and then later:
>
> To clarify a point raised in the comments, PyGTK will be
> maintained in the exact same was as the GTK+-2.0 series will
> be maintained. Bug fix releases will be made if necessary,
> but no new features will be added. If you want the new
> GTK+-3.0 features then you should use PyGObject + GObject
> Introspection.

Re: FYI: PyGTK

jerome
A script is also available:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/pygi-convert.sh

The problem might be to make sure that we "don't keep using the static
bindings for a library that we are using through introspection. That
would cause wrappers from both bindings be mixed and compatibility
issues would arise."  http://live.gnome.org/PyGObject/IntrospectionPorting

Note, Benny generated an experimental qt interface for mobile (see blog
pages)!

Richard,
It seems to me that you also made an experimental qt interface (pyqt ?)
for a third-party program related to Gramps... I tried to run pyside
(under a Gnome environment) but I (too quickly) give up! :(

Regards,
Jérôme

Richard Taylor a écrit :

> I think that this is going to be a good thing in the long-run but
> porting gramps will take some effort.
>
> I have spent a few mins reading some of the docs online. The big
> advantage of GObject introspection is that it should always track the
> latest version of GTK+ and the python bindings will never fall behind.
> So GTK3 should be available to us more quickly. Hopefully it will also
> make the support on other platforms (e.g. OS X) more reliable.
>
> Porting gramps from PyGTK to GObject Introspection (GI) looks like a
> largely mechanical exercise:
> http://live.gnome.org/PyGObjec/IntrospectionPorting
>
> GI should also give access to more libraries. For example
> http://developer.gnome.org/libpeas/1.0/ looks interesting.
>
> The hardest decision will be when to port.
>
> Ricard
>
> On 29/04/2011 05:30, Paul Franklin wrote:
>> I suppose it's all old news to many of you developers but I
>> just read it and I thought I'd paste a few words here, from
>> http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/author/admin/
>> and a post he made 3 April.  (He's the lead author and the
>> originator of osmgpsmap, which again I assume you probably
>> already know but which I hadn't.)
>>
>> He said (excerpted):
>>
>> I just released PyGTK 2.24, which will almost certainly be
>> the last major PyGTK release. The future of Python on the
>> GNOME platform is PyGObject + GObject Introspection.
>>
>> and then later:
>>
>> To clarify a point raised in the comments, PyGTK will be
>> maintained in the exact same was as the GTK+-2.0 series will
>> be maintained. Bug fix releases will be made if necessary,
>> but no new features will be added. If you want the new
>> GTK+-3.0 features then you should use PyGObject + GObject
>> Introspection.

Re: FYI: PyGTK

robhealey1
Greetings:

I have also had a look into this idea, and if or when we make the conversion over to Pygi, is there a chance to also dump python2.x.x to the wayside...  An upgrade to python3 might need to be decided upon also!

I know that this would be a MAJOR huge undertaking, but as you can see by Gnome releasing 3.0.x of there new Shell Desktop, the world is already starting to switch to python3...

If the decision to begin porting to pygi and python3 is sat upon or shoved out of the way, Gramps will be left behind!  Never let that become true....

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Richard Taylor a écrit :
> I think that this is going to be a good thing in the long-run but
> porting gramps will take some effort.
>
> I have spent a few mins reading some of the docs online. The big
> advantage of GObject introspection is that it should always track the
> latest version of GTK+ and the python bindings will never fall behind.
> So GTK3 should be available to us more quickly. Hopefully it will also
> make the support on other platforms (e.g. OS X) more reliable.
>
> Porting gramps from PyGTK to GObject Introspection (GI) looks like a
> largely mechanical exercise:
> http://live.gnome.org/PyGObjec/IntrospectionPorting
>
> GI should also give access to more libraries. For example
> http://developer.gnome.org/libpeas/1.0/ looks interesting.
>
> The hardest decision will be when to port.
>
> Ricard
>
> On 29/04/2011 05:30, Paul Franklin wrote:
>> I suppose it's all old news to many of you developers but I
>> just read it and I thought I'd paste a few words here, from
>> http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/author/admin/
>> and a post he made 3 April.  (He's the lead author and the
>> originator of osmgpsmap, which again I assume you probably
>> already know but which I hadn't.)
>>
>> He said (excerpted):
>>
>> I just released PyGTK 2.24, which will almost certainly be
>> the last major PyGTK release. The future of Python on the
>> GNOME platform is PyGObject + GObject Introspection.
>>
>> and then later:
>>
>> To clarify a point raised in the comments, PyGTK will be
>> maintained in the exact same was as the GTK+-2.0 series will
>> be maintained. Bug fix releases will be made if necessary,
>> but no new features will be added. If you want the new
>> GTK+-3.0 features then you should use PyGObject + GObject
>> Introspection.

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: FYI: PyGTK

Benny Malengier
We should decide on python 3.x and GI together after 3.3 release and put a team together for it if we decide to do it for Gramps 3.4. (which would obviously be Gramps 4.0 then).

Only GTK was missing to port to python 3.x on linux last we investigated.
However, we can only agree to the port if it is ok for Windows and Mac OS X also. If not ok for those, we should wait another year. For that, I look to our windows and macosx porters.

Benny

Richard Taylor a écrit :
> I think that this is going to be a good thing in the long-run but
> porting gramps will take some effort.
>
> I have spent a few mins reading some of the docs online. The big
> advantage of GObject introspection is that it should always track the
> latest version of GTK+ and the python bindings will never fall behind.
> So GTK3 should be available to us more quickly. Hopefully it will also
> make the support on other platforms (e.g. OS X) more reliable.
>
> Porting gramps from PyGTK to GObject Introspection (GI) looks like a
> largely mechanical exercise:
> http://live.gnome.org/PyGObjec/IntrospectionPorting
>
> GI should also give access to more libraries. For example
> http://developer.gnome.org/libpeas/1.0/ looks interesting.
>
> The hardest decision will be when to port.
>
> Ricard
>
> On 29/04/2011 05:30, Paul Franklin wrote:
>> I suppose it's all old news to many of you developers but I
>> just read it and I thought I'd paste a few words here, from
>> http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/author/admin/
>> and a post he made 3 April.  (He's the lead author and the
>> originator of osmgpsmap, which again I assume you probably
>> already know but which I hadn't.)
>>
>> He said (excerpted):
>>
>> I just released PyGTK 2.24, which will almost certainly be
>> the last major PyGTK release. The future of Python on the
>> GNOME platform is PyGObject + GObject Introspection.
>>
>> and then later:
>>
>> To clarify a point raised in the comments, PyGTK will be
>> maintained in the exact same was as the GTK+-2.0 series will
>> be maintained. Bug fix releases will be made if necessary,
>> but no new features will be added. If you want the new
>> GTK+-3.0 features then you should use PyGObject + GObject
>> Introspection.

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

"Always surround yourself with people that inspire you to
greatness!"

Re: FYI: PyGTK

John Ralls-2

On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Benny Malengier wrote:

> We should decide on python 3.x and GI together after 3.3 release and put a team together for it if we decide to do it for Gramps 3.4. (which would obviously be Gramps 4.0 then).
>
> Only GTK was missing to port to python 3.x on linux last we investigated.
> However, we can only agree to the port if it is ok for Windows and Mac OS X also. If not ok for those, we should wait another year. For that, I look to our windows and macosx porters.

I've been doing nightly builds of Gtk master (now at 3.1.3) since January, so I know that part is OK. There's a problem with gdbus on OSX, but Gramps doesn't use GConf or dbus, so that should also be OK. I haven't tested any of the other Gramps dependencies; off the top of my head I'd be most concerned about WebKit. Is that completely supplanted by osmgpsmap?

I'll test the rest sometime in the next week and report back.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: FYI: PyGTK

Benny Malengier

2011/4/29 John Ralls <[hidden email]>

On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Benny Malengier wrote:

> We should decide on python 3.x and GI together after 3.3 release and put a team together for it if we decide to do it for Gramps 3.4. (which would obviously be Gramps 4.0 then).
>
> Only GTK was missing to port to python 3.x on linux last we investigated.
> However, we can only agree to the port if it is ok for Windows and Mac OS X also. If not ok for those, we should wait another year. For that, I look to our windows and macosx porters.

I've been doing nightly builds of Gtk master (now at 3.1.3) since January, so I know that part is OK. There's a problem with gdbus on OSX, but Gramps doesn't use GConf or dbus, so that should also be OK. I haven't tested any of the other Gramps dependencies; off the top of my head I'd be most concerned about WebKit. Is that completely supplanted by osmgpsmap?

Yes, htmlview is present but it is a hidden view, so users have to activate it to use it. Users can have firefox open however if they like that and there is no webkit.

I am most concerned about our use of the gtk.TextView for the notes adding hooks and the spell checking. I'm afraid for pygobject conversion that will not be straithforward.
Gtkspell itself seems mostly unmaintained:
http://gtkspell.cvs.sourceforge.net/gtkspell/gtkspell2/

Perhaps somebody with a redhat login can add a note to:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=675504
to indicate that would be great. Or even test the patch there?

Benny

PS: we are not alone: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5762766/gtk-spell-checking-in-python-with-pygobject-on-ubuntu

Benny

I'll test the rest sometime in the next week and report back.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: FYI: PyGTK

robhealey1
Dear Benny:

You are correct in the idea that I do not know how the conversion to pygi and python3 does and will affect Gramps, so my knowledge and understanding is very naive and limited...

I am very grateful that the core developers in this project do know what to do!  I am also very grateful that these same people are willing to help others....

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob,

Your questions indicate you do not understand how the new gobject introspection works.
We only need gtkspell to work with gnome3

Benny

2011/4/30 Rob Healey <[hidden email]>
Greetings:

If gtkspell does not become compliant with python3, is there another package that would work instead of it?  Seems like spell checking would be a simple one to overcome if it is not maintained...

I know that there is a PyGTK-2.0 tutorial, but does anyone know of how things would convert from pygtk to pygobject?  Is there a tutorial out there?

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

2067902018

On Apr 29, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2011/4/29 John Ralls <[hidden email]>
>
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Benny Malengier wrote:
>
> > We should decide on python 3.x and GI together after 3.3 release and put a team together for it if we decide to do it for Gramps 3.4. (which would obviously be Gramps 4.0 then).
> >
> > Only GTK was missing to port to python 3.x on linux last we investigated.
> > However, we can only agree to the port if it is ok for Windows and Mac OS X also. If not ok for those, we should wait another year. For that, I look to our windows and macosx porters.
>
> I've been doing nightly builds of Gtk master (now at 3.1.3) since January, so I know that part is OK. There's a problem with gdbus on OSX, but Gramps doesn't use GConf or dbus, so that should also be OK. I haven't tested any of the other Gramps dependencies; off the top of my head I'd be most concerned about WebKit. Is that completely supplanted by osmgpsmap?
>
> Yes, htmlview is present but it is a hidden view, so users have to activate it to use it. Users can have firefox open however if they like that and there is no webkit.
>
> I am most concerned about our use of the gtk.TextView for the notes adding hooks and the spell checking. I'm afraid for pygobject conversion that will not be straithforward.
> Gtkspell itself seems mostly unmaintained:
> http://gtkspell.cvs.sourceforge.net/gtkspell/gtkspell2/
>
> Perhaps somebody with a redhat login can add a note to:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=675504
> to indicate that would be great. Or even test the patch there?
>
> Benny
>
> PS: we are not alone: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5762766/gtk-spell-checking-in-python-with-pygobject-on-ubuntu
>

> Benny
>
> I'll test the rest sometime in the next week and report back.

This actually looks pretty good: The only libraries that don't build are GtkSpell (and as you note above, there's a trivial patch to fix it) and osmgpsmap. John Stowers is certainly aware of the need, so he'll probably be ready when we are.

PyGoocanvas still requires PyGtk, and goocanvas isn't set up for introspection, so that's an issue. The same is true for GtkSpell.

It looks to me that you could start a feature branch for a Gtk3 conversion and start work whenever you're ready.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: FYI: PyGTK

robhealey1
Dear John:

Can you specify how a gtkspell-gtk3 patch will fix the --disable-introspection error in osm-gps-map?

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On May 6, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Rob Healey wrote:

> Dear John:
>
> Can you specify how a gtkspell-gtk3 patch will fix the --disable-introspection error in osm-gps-map?

Sorry, I don't understand. gtkspell and osmgpsmap are AFAICT completely independent of each other, though both depend upon Gtk+. Why would patching gtkspell to build on gtk3 have anything to do with osmgpsmap?

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: FYI: PyGTK

robhealey1
Dear John:

I most certainly must apologize for the last message!  I realize now by re-reading your last message and actually reading it carefully my mistake!

I misunderstood what you had written in your message and didn't understand the punctuation and sentence...

It is as with anything that is written/ spoken, you must pay attention to the sentence structure and the connecting prepositions...

Thanks for letting me understand and not making a butt out of myself!

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey