Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

Ramses
Hi people,

I have been using Gramps with great enjoyment and been adding as much of my family history as possible. Now I wish to print a full family tree with the family lines graph report.

When selecting my grandmother as focal point, I get the full ancestry (all 3 preceeding generations), as well as her full children and grandchildren overview. So far so good.

When I select my grandfather as focal point, without changing a singular option, the image generator runs very briefly and comes up with a minute file with absolutely nothing in it (a blank page).

Several other reports ran on either grandmother or grandfather are fine and display all the entered information, just not this family lines graph based on my grandfather.

Is there a way to check for errors in the image generator? I have been messing around with making the custom page stupendously large or small to see if that mattered, but so far it doesn't seem to.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ramses

Re: Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

EAWIII
When I have run into an empty or blank "family lines report", it has been due to some relationship entered incorrectly.

I have just now run into the problem again, and the only way I know to solve this is to review recent changes.

This is a reply to a message that may have not reached the list. So I am copying that message below:

Ed

[...]

Ramses"

Re: Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

Paul Franklin-5
On 6/17/17, EAWIII <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I have run into an empty or blank "family lines report", it has been
> due
> to some relationship entered incorrectly.

You might try running the Verify tool -- to see if it
gives you any hints what might be wrong.

Re: Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

Stéphane Charette-2
I originally wrote the family lines report.  I haven't looked at the code in several years now, but a few things come to mind:

- choose "graphviz file" as the document output type so you can see exactly is being produced
- select both "follow parents" and "follow children" in the report options
- did you select or clear the option called "try to remove extra people and families" in the report options?
- note you can have multiple people in the "people of interest" control
- the "family colours" is actually important; while it can be left blank, any surnames you add will help FamilyLines know that it should not trim that name from the graph

Stéphane

On 6/17/17, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/17/17, EAWIII <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I have run into an empty or blank "family lines report", it has been
>> due
>> to some relationship entered incorrectly.
>
> You might try running the Verify tool -- to see if it
> gives you any hints what might be wrong.

If following Stéphane Charette's suggestions didn't help either,
you can also either 1) file a bug report, making it "private" before
attaching your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file), or 2) email
me your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file) and tell me what
people provoke the problem, what to do to reproduce it.

The third thing I can suggest is starting gramps from the command
line, then seeing if you get any error messages from running the
report.  Assuming you do, you may or may not be able to fix the
problem (since if you have discovered a bug you may need one of
us to fix the report instead, if the problem is not in your family tree).

HTH.

Re: Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

EAWIII
Thanks, Paul, and everyone else.
I'm hoping to try some of the suggestions on this long weekend coming up.
- Verify
- command line

My guess at this time is "not a bug", but something I flummoxed by merging or adding record.
It is great to see responses from several people who care about the software.
Ed

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/17/17, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/17/17, EAWIII <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I have run into an empty or blank "family lines report", it has been
>> due
>> to some relationship entered incorrectly.
>
> You might try running the Verify tool -- to see if it
> gives you any hints what might be wrong.

If following Stéphane Charette's suggestions didn't help either,
you can also either 1) file a bug report, making it "private" before
attaching your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file), or 2) email
me your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file) and tell me what
people provoke the problem, what to do to reproduce it.

The third thing I can suggest is starting gramps from the command
line, then seeing if you get any error messages from running the
report.  Assuming you do, you may or may not be able to fix the
problem (since if you have discovered a bug you may need one of
us to fix the report instead, if the problem is not in your family tree).

HTH.

Re: Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file

EAWIII
Paul and Stéphan,
Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated. I learned quite a bit from this experience.
The verify tool helped me locate the problem. As suspected, I made an entry error recently, and it resulted in an empty family lines report.
I had entered an incorrect death date for an ancestor of my spouse. Since the death was 300 years before the birth of his children, this caused the empty report.

My opinion is this is not a bug.
Thanks for having the list available.
Ed

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Paul Franklin-5 [via GRAMPS] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/17/17, Paul Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/17/17, EAWIII <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I have run into an empty or blank "family lines report", it has been
>> due
>> to some relationship entered incorrectly.
>
> You might try running the Verify tool -- to see if it
> gives you any hints what might be wrong.

If following Stéphane Charette's suggestions didn't help either,
you can also either 1) file a bug report, making it "private" before
attaching your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file), or 2) email
me your family tree (as a "gramps XML" file) and tell me what
people provoke the problem, what to do to reproduce it.

The third thing I can suggest is starting gramps from the command
line, then seeing if you get any error messages from running the
report.  Assuming you do, you may or may not be able to fix the
problem (since if you have discovered a bug you may need one of
us to fix the report instead, if the problem is not in your family tree).

HTH.

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Family-Lines-Graph-empty-blank-file-tp4679587p4680459.html
To unsubscribe from Family Lines Graph - empty/blank file, click here.
NAML