Family Lines graph report

ceperman
I'm using Gramps 4.2.2, the version that comes with Linux Mint 18.3. I've been using Gramps for a number of years - just let me say how good I think it is!

I'm using the Family Lines report. I'm unable to get it to show places, even though the "include places" option is checked. I can see from searching the mailing list than someone asked this question some years ago, with no answer. I appreciate that I'm on a relatively old version of Gramps - is this a known problem that has been fixed in a later version? If so, should I upgrade, and how?

Thanks,
Chris Wood

Re: Family Lines graph report

ceperman
Hi Sam,
Thanks.

> Are you attempting to show Custom Places, if so that has been fixed for the next Gramps release(so you will need to wait) see:
>10968: Not all "Place Types" appear on Graphs etc

Many of my places are on the "do not appear" list, but not all, and none appear. I tried changing "unknown" to "town" with no effect. Other graph displays e.g. chart view works fine and show everything so I guess this is not the same problem.

>Only the older unsupported version seems to come with Mint!

Tell me about it! I will look into upgrading. Thanks.

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 22:56, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

CW>> I'm unable to get it to show places, even though the "include places" option is checked.

Are you attempting to show Custom Places, if so that has been fixed for the next Gramps release(so you will need to wait) see:
10968: Not all "Place Types" appear on Graphs etc

Otherwise you will need to show an example of how you recorded the places, so someone with Gramps 5.0.1 can check it for you?

CW>> If so, should I upgrade, and how?

Always a good idea to upgrade to the current release especially as Gramps has had many improvements and bug fixes, you can checkout the development change log or blog for a general idea of changes/improvements etc:

When you are ready to upgrade backup your family trees
Test the backup to make sure it work.

You can install the most current version of Gramps using the following instructions from the Linux Mint Forums
(As mentioned on the Gramps download page under Linux Mint https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download#Linux_and_BSD_distributions  )

Hopefully you have a successful upgrade.

Kind regards
Sam

Only the older unsupported version seems to come with Mint!