Family Map web page left aligned

Melissa Brooks
Hi there,

I've been using Gramps for a while, little by little, love it. I'm just getting closer and closer to having a website up and running but hitting a couple of issues.

When exporting my website the "family maps" pages are all left aligned rather than centred like all other pages.
ie the content body div seems pushed over to the left of the screen.

Any ideas welcomed.
Let me know if this should be logged as a bug or??

Narrated Website Report
Mainz stylesheet
Gramps 4.2.6.1

Thanks
Melissa

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

Dave Scheipers
Hi Melissa,

I do not normally add the family map page when I create my narrated
web sites for relatives. So I went exploring.

I see what you mean. The Mainz stylesheet is the old-timey paper
scroll normally centered in the browser. Except the Family map page
which is left justified. It is a shock to the experience.

I made a new web site using Basic-spruce (my preferred stylesheet). It
handles maps slightly differently between the location map and the
family map but it is not noticeable because the stylesheet uses the
total browse width. The Family map page is totally left justified. The
map based upon the place is indented. But it is not a shock to the
browsing experience because the supporting text remains consistent.

You may wish to submit bug report. This appears to be something unique
to the Mainz stylesheet. It's probably one line of code but this is
above my pay grade, I'll leave it to the developers to figure it out.

Sorry I could not be of more help, Dave

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Melissa Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been using Gramps for a while, little by little, love it. I'm just
> getting closer and closer to having a website up and running but hitting a
> couple of issues.
>

> When exporting my website the "family maps" pages are all left aligned
> rather than centred like all other pages.
> ie the content body div seems pushed over to the left of the screen.
>
> Any ideas welcomed.
> Let me know if this should be logged as a bug or??
>

> Narrated Website Report
> Mainz stylesheet
> Gramps 4.2.6.1
>
> Thanks
> Melissa

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

J. Allen Crider-2
Are you using Google maps or Open Street maps?  I have not noticed any
problem when using Google maps (you can see my website at
www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy).  Maybe because the map is
almost the full display width (only a small margin on each side within
the parchment area), but nothing seems that different to me from other
pages in the website.

Allen Crider

On 11/16/2017 12:40 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Melissa,
>
> I do not normally add the family map page when I create my narrated
> web sites for relatives. So I went exploring.
>
> I see what you mean. The Mainz stylesheet is the old-timey paper
> scroll normally centered in the browser. Except the Family map page
> which is left justified. It is a shock to the experience.
>
> I made a new web site using Basic-spruce (my preferred stylesheet). It
> handles maps slightly differently between the location map and the
> family map but it is not noticeable because the stylesheet uses the
> total browse width. The Family map page is totally left justified. The
> map based upon the place is indented. But it is not a shock to the
> browsing experience because the supporting text remains consistent.
>
> You may wish to submit bug report. This appears to be something unique
> to the Mainz stylesheet. It's probably one line of code but this is
> above my pay grade, I'll leave it to the developers to figure it out.
>
> Sorry I could not be of more help, Dave
>

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Melissa Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been using Gramps for a while, little by little, love it. I'm just
>> getting closer and closer to having a website up and running but hitting a
>> couple of issues.
>>

>> When exporting my website the "family maps" pages are all left aligned
>> rather than centred like all other pages.
>> ie the content body div seems pushed over to the left of the screen.
>>
>> Any ideas welcomed.
>> Let me know if this should be logged as a bug or??
>>

>> Narrated Website Report
>> Mainz stylesheet
>> Gramps 4.2.6.1
>>
>> Thanks
>> Melissa

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

Melissa Brooks
Hi there,
yes, using google maps, I just checked one of your family maps and it is showing left aligned too..

check out (for example) Matilda Abshire, then go to her "family map" link.. I am using chrome, and I just tried on IE, does the same.. I'm logging this as a bug so hopefully its just something easy in the css that they can fix up.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM, J. Allen Crider <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Allen

The problem was not with the actual map.

The Mainz stylesheet is the old fashion scroll paper format. On all
pages this displays in the center of the browser window.

On the Family Map page, instead of the 'page' being centered, it is
left justified. The map displays correctly within the 'page'. The
shift to left justified is a shock to the browsing experience and I am
sure not what the designer intended.

Melissa said she used both chrome and IE and saw the same effect. I
saw it on Firefox.

Dave

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM, J. Allen Crider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you using Google maps or Open Street maps?  I have not noticed any
> problem when using Google maps (you can see my website at
> www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy).  Maybe because the map is almost
> the full display width (only a small margin on each side within the
> parchment area), but nothing seems that different to me from other pages in
> the website.
>
> Allen Crider
>

> On 11/16/2017 12:40 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi Melissa,
>>
>> I do not normally add the family map page when I create my narrated
>> web sites for relatives. So I went exploring.
>>
>> I see what you mean. The Mainz stylesheet is the old-timey paper
>> scroll normally centered in the browser. Except the Family map page
>> which is left justified. It is a shock to the experience.
>>
>> I made a new web site using Basic-spruce (my preferred stylesheet). It
>> handles maps slightly differently between the location map and the
>> family map but it is not noticeable because the stylesheet uses the
>> total browse width. The Family map page is totally left justified. The
>> map based upon the place is indented. But it is not a shock to the
>> browsing experience because the supporting text remains consistent.
>>
>> You may wish to submit bug report. This appears to be something unique
>> to the Mainz stylesheet. It's probably one line of code but this is
>> above my pay grade, I'll leave it to the developers to figure it out.
>>
>> Sorry I could not be of more help, Dave
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Melissa Brooks <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've been using Gramps for a while, little by little, love it. I'm just
>>> getting closer and closer to having a website up and running but hitting
>>> couple of issues.
>>>

>>> When exporting my website the "family maps" pages are all left aligned
>>> rather than centred like all other pages.
>>> ie the content body div seems pushed over to the left of the screen.
>>>
>>> Any ideas welcomed.
>>> Let me know if this should be logged as a bug or??
>>>

>>> Narrated Website Report
>>> Mainz stylesheet
>>> Gramps 4.2.6.1
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Melissa

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

J. Allen Crider-2
OK, I now see what you mean.  I normally size my browser window to a
size that ends up with almost the same margin whether the page is
centered or left-justified.  It does become noticeable if I increase the
width of the window.

I did come up with a quick fix for it.  Simply add the line
        margin: 0px auto;
to the section labeled body#FamilyMap in the file narrative-maps.css.
It is in the narrative-screen.css file but was left out of
narrative-maps.css.

Allen

On 11/16/2017 09:05 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Allen
>
> The problem was not with the actual map.
>
> The Mainz stylesheet is the old fashion scroll paper format. On all
> pages this displays in the center of the browser window.
>
> On the Family Map page, instead of the 'page' being centered, it is
> left justified. The map displays correctly within the 'page'. The
> shift to left justified is a shock to the browsing experience and I am
> sure not what the designer intended.
>
> Melissa said she used both chrome and IE and saw the same effect. I
> saw it on Firefox.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM, J. Allen Crider
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you using Google maps or Open Street maps?  I have not noticed any
>> problem when using Google maps (you can see my website at
>> www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy).  Maybe because the map is almost
>> the full display width (only a small margin on each side within the
>> parchment area), but nothing seems that different to me from other pages in
>> the website.
>>
>> Allen Crider
>>

>> On 11/16/2017 12:40 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Melissa,
>>>
>>> I do not normally add the family map page when I create my narrated
>>> web sites for relatives. So I went exploring.
>>>
>>> I see what you mean. The Mainz stylesheet is the old-timey paper
>>> scroll normally centered in the browser. Except the Family map page
>>> which is left justified. It is a shock to the experience.
>>>
>>> I made a new web site using Basic-spruce (my preferred stylesheet). It
>>> handles maps slightly differently between the location map and the
>>> family map but it is not noticeable because the stylesheet uses the
>>> total browse width. The Family map page is totally left justified. The
>>> map based upon the place is indented. But it is not a shock to the
>>> browsing experience because the supporting text remains consistent.
>>>
>>> You may wish to submit bug report. This appears to be something unique
>>> to the Mainz stylesheet. It's probably one line of code but this is
>>> above my pay grade, I'll leave it to the developers to figure it out.
>>>
>>> Sorry I could not be of more help, Dave

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

Dave Scheipers
And we have a winner!!!!

Thank you Allen. I added the line and created a website based upon
Mainz and the Family Map page is now centered.

I am interested to see what will happen on another stylesheet. The
file modification did not indicate it was Mainz specific. But that
will have to wait until I take care of regular life stuff.

Thanks, Dave

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM, J. Allen Crider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I now see what you mean.  I normally size my browser window to a size
> that ends up with almost the same margin whether the page is centered or
> left-justified.  It does become noticeable if I increase the width of the
> window.
>
> I did come up with a quick fix for it.  Simply add the line
>         margin: 0px auto;
> to the section labeled body#FamilyMap in the file narrative-maps.css. It is
> in the narrative-screen.css file but was left out of narrative-maps.css.
>
> Allen
>

> On 11/16/2017 09:05 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi Allen
>>
>> The problem was not with the actual map.
>>
>> The Mainz stylesheet is the old fashion scroll paper format. On all
>> pages this displays in the center of the browser window.
>>
>> On the Family Map page, instead of the 'page' being centered, it is
>> left justified. The map displays correctly within the 'page'. The
>> shift to left justified is a shock to the browsing experience and I am
>> sure not what the designer intended.
>>
>> Melissa said she used both chrome and IE and saw the same effect. I
>> saw it on Firefox.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM, J. Allen Crider
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you using Google maps or Open Street maps?  I have not noticed any
>>> problem when using Google maps (you can see my website at
>>> www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy).  Maybe because the map is almost
>>> the full display width (only a small margin on each side within the
>>> parchment area), but nothing seems that different to me from other pages
>>> in
>>> the website.
>>>
>>> Allen Crider

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

Dave Scheipers
Hi Allen,

The modification did alter the look of the Basic-spruce style sheet.

The normal layout of the style utilizes the full browser screen and
will alter the display depending on the size browser window. Full
justified.

With the line added to narrative-maps.css, the Family Map page is now
center justified. Where the page title and menu options normally abut
the left margin, in the Family Map page, they appear in the center of
the screen.

Your quick fix solves the issue for Mainz but not desirable for other styles.

As I only use the Basic-spruce stylesheet, I'll be removing the
line... until a more universal fix can be made.

Dave

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Dave Scheipers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And we have a winner!!!!
>
> Thank you Allen. I added the line and created a website based upon
> Mainz and the Family Map page is now centered.
>
> I am interested to see what will happen on another stylesheet. The
> file modification did not indicate it was Mainz specific. But that
> will have to wait until I take care of regular life stuff.
>
> Thanks, Dave
>
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM, J. Allen Crider
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OK, I now see what you mean.  I normally size my browser window to a size
>> that ends up with almost the same margin whether the page is centered or
>> left-justified.  It does become noticeable if I increase the width of the
>> window.
>>
>> I did come up with a quick fix for it.  Simply add the line
>>         margin: 0px auto;
>> to the section labeled body#FamilyMap in the file narrative-maps.css. It is
>> in the narrative-screen.css file but was left out of narrative-maps.css.
>>
>> Allen
>>

>> On 11/16/2017 09:05 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Allen
>>>
>>> The problem was not with the actual map.
>>>
>>> The Mainz stylesheet is the old fashion scroll paper format. On all
>>> pages this displays in the center of the browser window.
>>>
>>> On the Family Map page, instead of the 'page' being centered, it is
>>> left justified. The map displays correctly within the 'page'. The
>>> shift to left justified is a shock to the browsing experience and I am
>>> sure not what the designer intended.
>>>
>>> Melissa said she used both chrome and IE and saw the same effect. I
>>> saw it on Firefox.
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: Family Map web page left aligned

J. Allen Crider-2
I had only looked at the files in the css directory from a generated
website and it had been awhile since I looked at the files that are
included in the Gramps installation.  After looking at it just now, it
looks like ancestortree.css, behaviour.css, and narrative-maps.css are
treated as being style independent and merely copied from the source
directory.  narrative-print.css and narrative-screen.css are generated
from Web_{style}.css each time a Narrative Web report is generated.
Someone that is more familiar with narrativeweb.py than I am will need
to answer the question of how difficult it would be to make
narrative-maps.css style dependent.  The other option would be to take
the "margin" line out of Web_Mainz.css and have all pages left
justified, but I don't know if that would be desirable to most users.

There are a couple of other minor things I don't like about the Mainz
style sheets, so what I have done is keep a separate copy of the
customized style sheets I use and I don't update the css directory on my
web host each time I update the rest of the files.  Others using the
Mainz style may want to consider doing the same as long as this remains
an issue.

Allen