Family Tree visualization

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Family Tree visualization

Oldest1
The other day I came across the Youtube video by Michael McGuffin at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkRzDegzAo and it really looks like a
very useful way to traverse the tree in arbitrary ways, following one's
curiosity, but I have not been able to find any reference to either
McGuffin or anything like it in either the user or devel list for Gramps.

Have I missed any earlier discussion regarding this?

Arnold



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Ron Johnson
On 4/4/19 12:02 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> The other day I came across the Youtube video by Michael McGuffin at:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkRzDegzAo and it really looks like a
> very useful way to traverse the tree in arbitrary ways, following one's
> curiosity, but I have not been able to find any reference to either
> McGuffin or anything like it in either the user or devel list for Gramps.
>
> Have I missed any earlier discussion regarding this?

http://profs.etsmtl.ca/mmcguffin/research/#mcguffin_infovis2005 isn't
Gramps.  But it seems like a really good idea.

--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Peter Merchant
On 04/04/2019 18:27, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 4/4/19 12:02 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> The other day I came across the Youtube video by Michael McGuffin at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkRzDegzAo and it really looks like a very useful way to traverse the tree in arbitrary ways, following one's curiosity, but I have not been able to find any reference to either McGuffin or anything like it in either the user or devel list for Gramps.
>>
>> Have I missed any earlier discussion regarding this?
>
> http://profs.etsmtl.ca/mmcguffin/research/#mcguffin_infovis2005 isn't Gramps.  But it seems like a really good idea.
>
McGuffin has gone on to do far more fancy things judging by his academic output. But Gramps has a lot of this stuff in graphview without the fancy dots and pyramids. Gramps could sometimes do with displaying things a bit closer to each other, but one thing I really like that I had not noticed until recently is the dark lines showing  my ancestry in the graphview.  Graphview is my default method of working as I can right-click anything [person or event] and edit it.


Peter M.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Oldest1

On 2019-04-04 1:40 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
McGuffin has gone on to do far more fancy things judging by his academic output. But Gramps has a lot of this stuff in graphview without the fancy dots and pyramids. Gramps could sometimes do with displaying things a bit closer to each other, but one thing I really like that I had not noticed until recently is the dark lines showing  my ancestry in the graphview.  Graphview is my default method of working as I can right-click anything [person or event] and edit it.

It certainly seems that McGuffin has published a lot on graphs etc. but I was surprised that apparently the Gedcom example had not been seen by anyone connected with Gramps.

As for the plug-in Graphview for Gramps, I have looked for it but have not had any luck  finding it. I have Windows AIO package of Gramps 5.0.1 installed, but have not been able to find the plugin - it seems I don't even know where to look.

Is this feature available in the Windows AIO package?

I also have a Linux Mint 19 box available, but have not had any luck getting 5.0.1 up and running, mainly because of unsatisfied dependencies and my relative unfamiliarity with Linux in general.



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Oldest1

Many thanks for all of the hints and pointers.

Finally got it all installed under Mint - is there a chance I will be able to also install this add on under Windows and satisfy all of the dependencies?


On 2019-04-04 6:50 PM, Sam Manzi wrote:
Once you have installed it, go tothe Charts category view select the Graph View icon or select View > Graph View from the menu.

Support page for the Graph View addon

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 12:41, <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 2019-04-04 1:40 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
McGuffin has gone on to do far more fancy things judging by his academic output. But Gramps has a lot of this stuff in graphview without the fancy dots and pyramids. Gramps could sometimes do with displaying things a bit closer to each other, but one thing I really like that I had not noticed until recently is the dark lines showing  my ancestry in the graphview.  Graphview is my default method of working as I can right-click anything [person or event] and edit it.

It certainly seems that McGuffin has published a lot on graphs etc. but I was surprised that apparently the Gedcom example had not been seen by anyone connected with Gramps.

As for the plug-in Graphview for Gramps, I have looked for it but have not had any luck  finding it. I have Windows AIO package of Gramps 5.0.1 installed, but have not been able to find the plugin - it seems I don't even know where to look.

Is this feature available in the Windows AIO package?

I also have a Linux Mint 19 box available, but have not had any luck getting 5.0.1 up and running, mainly because of unsatisfied dependencies and my relative unfamiliarity with Linux in general.

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

StoltHD
go to help -> plugin manager to see or change your plug-ins/add-ons

But, do you not talk a little around each other here?

The graphical view (Charts) is installed as default on windows, only thing you might need to install if you haven't already is the GraphViz package...
https://graphviz.gitlab.io/_pages/Download/Download_windows.html 

If you can run graphical reports, you might already have this installed...

And remember that mostly you need to install packages for the correct bit-version of your Windows version, så if you have Gramps 64-bit on Windows 64-bit you need any other software also as 64-bi (or compatible)...
This is a tumbnail rule to get as little trouble in Windows as possible.... Never use 32-bit software on Windows 64 if there is a 64-bit version of the software that works....
Jus my 2,5 shilling and 2 pence tip for Windows users... ;-) 

jaran

fre. 5. apr. 2019 kl. 07:37 skrev Sam Manzi <[hidden email]>:
Your welcome,


Please read and change the settings as recommended on the following link to solve that issue :)


Also make sure to reply directly to the mailing list.

--
Sam


On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 16:28, Chris Ansted <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Sam, but when I click on "Check for updated addons" none come up, because earlier today when I opened Gramps I went through the list and I downloaded what looked interesting, but didn't see any New Gramps Views. Maybe Gramps is treating Graph View as an addon I've previously chosen not to add - which is possible, though I don't remember doing so.

Chris

_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Oldest1
In reply to this post by Oldest1

Yes, I was able to get graphview installed and working - though I do admit that it was not 'obvious'.

Initially I tried to look for it  - running under Mint - via Help -> Plug-in Manager. Eventually I caught on to the 'official' way via Edit -> Preferences.

Once I had 5.0.1 installed under Windows, I then followed the same route to install it there as well. I had installed Graphviz earlier when I was playing with some other visualization software, so all I need to do, after loading Graphview, was to restart Gramps.

After just a bit of work with this view, it looks like it will provide the most useful way to navigate the tree.

Kudos to the developers!

On 2019-04-04 9:39 PM, Sam Manzi wrote:
Please use the builtin method of Addon installation 
see:

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 15:37, Chris Ansted <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Arnold. Since Sam's clarification, that the Microsoft Windows Gramps AIO 5.0.x already has the dependencies installed for Graph View, have you had any luck installing Graph View in Windows 10? I've tried and can't seem to get  "GraphView.add-on.tgz" to install. If you had success, what did you do?

Chris




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
-- 
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.8
Vista & Win 7, 8 & 10 compatible
http://www.columbinehoney.net/wxSR.shtml


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Family Tree visualization

Peter Merchant
On 05/04/2019 17:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> After just a bit of work with this view, it looks like it will provide the most useful way to navigate the tree.
>
> Kudos to the developers!
>
Second That!

Peter M.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org