Family View mockup

Don Allingham
This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments. It is
not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
parents and relationships.

Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.

Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit Person
window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML link - clicking
on the link will make that person the active person.

This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit dialogs.

http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: Family View mockup

Doug Blank
> This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit dialogs.
>
> http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11

Don,

It is very clean! I like Richard's idea, and your instincts. You might
want to add "Siblings" here, too, maybe?

-Doug

> --
> Don Allingham
> http://don.allingham.org

Re: Family View mockup

Don Allingham
Yes, adding siblings would be a natural thing to add.

This is still a very rough mockup, but it is functional. I'll add more
to it over the next day or so.

Don

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Family View mockup

Jim Winfrey-2
Don Allingham wrote:

>This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments. It is
>not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
>navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
>parents and relationships.
>
>Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.
>
>Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit Person
>window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML link - clicking
>on the link will make that person the active person.
>
>This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit dialogs.
>
>http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11

Don,

I personally like this approach.  It would be useful to have the
pertinent dates shown to the right of each individual so the user could
navigate through the right families.  This is very similar to a great
Aussie program called Relatively Yours written by Bob Dalrymple.  RY
didn't catch on in the US for some reason but it is a great approach.
Bob's starting point was a 3-gen family page with places and dates as
hyperlinks for major events.  Multiple unions (regardless of type) show
up under each principle in the family page so you don't lose track of
them.  Bob also linked female events to their name at the time of the
event.  Events before unions used the maiden name and after used
whatever name the woman used.  This worked great for women who retained
their maiden names, hyphenated names, etc.

Jim

Re: Family View mockup

sakuno
Jim,

> I personally like this approach.  It would be useful to have the
> pertinent dates shown to the right of each individual so the user could
> navigate through the right families.  This is very similar to a great
> Aussie program called Relatively Yours written by Bob Dalrymple.

Unless someone else had taken over development of this program, you won't see
any further releases.  Unfortunately Bob passed away last year.  He was to
have spoken at our Family History Society meeting and we received a call at
the last minute informing us about what had happened.  Very sad.

> RY didn't catch on in the US for some reason but it is a great approach.
> Bob's starting point was a 3-gen family page with places and dates as
> hyperlinks for major events.  Multiple unions (regardless of type) show
> up under each principle in the family page so you don't lose track of
> them.  Bob also linked female events to their name at the time of the
> event.  Events before unions used the maiden name and after used
> whatever name the woman used.  This worked great for women who retained
> their maiden names, hyphenated names, etc.

Wouldn't that mean you would have to look in three different places for the
events?  I would prefer they be linked to the person and not the different
names.

--
 Regards
      Trevor Rhodes

Never mud wrestle with a pig.. you get dirty and the pig enjoys it!
Never try to teach a pig to dance. You waste your time and annoy the pig.
Theoretically pigs can fly if propelled with enough force.

Re: Family View mockup

Richard Taylor-2
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 11:35, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> Don Allingham wrote:
>
> >This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments. It is
> >not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
> >navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
> >parents and relationships.
> >
> >Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.
> >
> >Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit Person
> >window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML link - clicking
> >on the link will make that person the active person.
> >
> >This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit dialogs.
> >
> >http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11
> >

> Don,
>
> I personally like this approach.  It would be useful to have the
> pertinent dates shown to the right of each individual so the user could
> navigate through the right families.  This is very similar to a great
> Aussie program called Relatively Yours written by Bob Dalrymple.  RY
> didn't catch on in the US for some reason but it is a great approach.
> Bob's starting point was a 3-gen family page with places and dates as
> hyperlinks for major events.  Multiple unions (regardless of type) show
> up under each principle in the family page so you don't lose track of
> them.  Bob also linked female events to their name at the time of the
> event.  Events before unions used the maiden name and after used
> whatever name the woman used.  This worked great for women who retained
> their maiden names, hyphenated names, etc.
>
> Jim

It would make sense to use tooltips on each of the objects (Person,Event etc.)
that would show all the information. This would make it possible to quickly
check detailed information without opening another window. Tooltips are
already present for Person objects in the Person view (they may be broken in
head at the moment).

Richard

--
Jabber: [hidden email]
PGPKey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA7DA9FD9

Re: Family View mockup

John Stoffel

Don> This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments. It is
Don> not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
Don> navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
Don> parents and relationships.

I don't like it.  It doesn't flow visually for me.  I think you should
have the primary person in the middle, with the parents above, and the
children below.

Don> Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.

Don> Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit
Don> Person window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML
Don> link - clicking on the link will make that person the active
Don> person.

I thought the idea was that only one person could be active at a time,
and then you would edit that person only?  So does it make sense to
make it so that clicking on the link of the active person would bring
up the edit dialog, but clicking on the link for others in the view
would make them active, and you'd just click on the active person to
edit them?

Don> This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit
Don> dialogs.

For me, I'd like to see some lines/boxes showing the links to the
active person.

And how do you show parent and step-parents in there?

John

Re: Family View mockup

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 19:25, John Stoffel wrote:
> Don> This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments.
> Don> It is not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
> Don> navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
> Don> parents and relationships.
>
> I don't like it.  It doesn't flow visually for me.  I think you should
> have the primary person in the middle, with the parents above, and the
> children below.

In my previous mail about Family view I had an ascii "chart" of that. :-)

However, I think there might be layout problems if this view would show
siblings and if there are multiple spouses with children or if the
relationship(s) has/have multiple events (engagement, marriage, divorce,
re-marriage etc).

Visually it would also be nicer if the edit button would be on the left so
that they are aligned (name lenghts can vary).

> Don> Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.
>
> Don> Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit
> Don> Person window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML
> Don> link - clicking on the link will make that person the active
> Don> person.
>
> I thought the idea was that only one person could be active at a time,
> and then you would edit that person only?  So does it make sense to
> make it so that clicking on the link of the active person would bring
> up the edit dialog, but clicking on the link for others in the view
> would make them active, and you'd just click on the active person to
> edit them?

How you would indicate the active person?  By place or by outline?

Would this view type e.g.  always keep the male on the left and female on
the right (so that it's easier to find husband and wife) and just highlight
the active one?  (This would have problems with same-sex couples)

> Don> This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit
> Don> dialogs.
>
> For me, I'd like to see some lines/boxes showing the links to the
> active person.

Agree.

> And how do you show parent and step-parents in there?

        - Eero

Re: Family View mockup

Steve Hall-4
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 22:36 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:

> http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11

Nice.

I tested adding more facts, and re-positioned the primary individual
below the parents with highlighting to clarify:

  http://dancingpaper.com/gramps-interface/familyview-2006-01-04.png

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]

Re: Family View mockup

bm-7
Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:

>  http://dancingpaper.com/gramps-interface/familyview-2006-01-04.png

Very nice. The family view in my opinion serves two purposes for me now. First
it's the easiest way to navigate, but secondly and just as important it's the
best place to get a quick and nice overview of a lot of data. You added that
whit this design.

Note that in the yesterday mentioned program Relatively Yours, even
more data is
shown (see http://www.relativelyyours.com/3ProductTourPerson010.htm ) but it
doesn't look so good (too cluttered) as what you give here (perhaps because of
the fisher price theme?).

Care should be taken that the most important info (the one that is now visible
in the family view) fits on the screen so user should not scroll if only the
main info is of interest (this family view will be easy to stretch over the
screen to the users preference, which is an added bonus over the
present family
view).

In contrary to what Eero says I would leave the edit icons on the left.
It looks
nicer, more organic.

Re: Family View mockup

John Stoffel

Sorry I'm so behind on this, too many other things going on at work
and home for me to chime in much.

Benny> Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:

>> http://dancingpaper.com/gramps-interface/familyview-2006-01-04.png

Benny> Very nice. The family view in my opinion serves two purposes
Benny> for me now. First it's the easiest way to navigate, but
Benny> secondly and just as important it's the best place to get a
Benny> quick and nice overview of a lot of data. You added that whit
Benny> this design.

Here's a pointer the family view I really really like.  Now I admit
this is a Mac program, and the Mac GUI widgets can be really nice.
But what I want to show here is the spacing, the detai shown, etc.

   http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Version7/NewFeatures/FlippedNames.gif

See how nice and tight the layout is, while at the same time being
visually distinct?  That's what I'm hoping gramps will aspire to and
achieve.   That's my primary complaint about the proposed gramps 2.2
display, it's not tight, and like alot of GUIs, it has tons of wasted
whitespace around the screen.

The primary person is on the left, but you can (I think, I haven't
booted my Mac in years...) edit details for either of the two people
there without a problem.  I really like how the marriage details are
there joining the two people, since that's how I view it mentally.

To move up the family, you click on the parent above the person.  Same
thing for children, though this picture doesn't show it well.

And yes, you can have multiple spouses for a person, with kids, step
kids, etc.

It's really a nice tool to use to manage, and the graphing output is
really it's strong suit as well.  But that's a tough problem to handle
for sure.

John

Family View mockup

Jim Winfrey-2
If the list accepts attachments, here is a screenshot of Relatively
Yours 3.0 which looks amazingly like what we seem to migrating to for
Gramps.  It is easy to use.  Note that the events have a hyperlink to
edit each event.

Jim

> Don Allingham wrote:
>
>> This is an example my interpretation of Richard Taylor's comments. It is
>> not intended to be a editable view, but a view for display and
>> navigation. Buttons will be added to allow adding/editing/deleting
>> parents and relationships.
>>
>> Separate dialogs would be provided to edit family relationships.
>>
>> Edit buttons are provided next to each name to bring up the Edit Person
>> window for the person. Each name is treated like an HTML link - clicking
>> on the link will make that person the active person.
>>
>> This view has been optimized for navigation and bring up edit dialogs.
>> http://developers.gramps-project.org/show_image.php?id=11
>>

> Don,
>
> I personally like this approach.  It would be useful to have the
> pertinent dates shown to the right of each individual so the user
> could navigate through the right families.  This is very similar to a
> great Aussie program called Relatively Yours written by Bob
> Dalrymple.  RY didn't catch on in the US for some reason but it is a
> great approach.  Bob's starting point was a 3-gen family page with
> places and dates as hyperlinks for major events.  Multiple unions
> (regardless of type) show up under each principle in the family page
> so you don't lose track of them.  Bob also linked female events to
> their name at the time of the event.  Events before unions used the
> maiden name and after used whatever name the woman used.  This worked
> great for women who retained their maiden names, hyphenated names, etc.
> Jim

RY3_ScreenShot.jpg (58K) Download Attachment