Family photos

Doug-11
I'd be grateful to hear folks' thoughts on how to treat family photos:

I've been adding a lot of family photos to my GRAMPS db, cropping photos
to individuals so I can put an individual photo in the individual's
gallery; and where I have people all belonging to the same nuclear
family, I've added the group photo to the gallery for that family.

However, I have quite a lot of group photos consisting of cousins, aunts
and uncles, or maybe three generations of a family and am a bit puzzled
how best to deal with them. Is there any systematic way of doing this in
Gramps? What do others do?

Doug

Re: Family photos

Martin Ewing

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd be grateful to hear folks' thoughts on how to treat family photos:

I've been adding a lot of family photos to my GRAMPS db, cropping photos
to individuals so I can put an individual photo in the individual's
gallery; and where I have people all belonging to the same nuclear
family, I've added the group photo to the gallery for that family.

However, I have quite a lot of group photos consisting of cousins, aunts
and uncles, or maybe three generations of a family and am a bit puzzled
how best to deal with them. Is there any systematic way of doing this in
Gramps? What do others do?

Doug

You can add a gallery item for a "family" (mother/father/children), but that will not always be the grouping of interest.  (Furthermore, when you're looking at an individual in the GUI, you don't get any special flag that there are applicable resources available through his/her families.) I note that Facebook has an interesting capability -- you can add a photograph, "tag" and name the people in it (graphically selecting them), and the results automatically propagate throughout their database.

I run into this situation when I have a resource item that applies to multiple individuals.  In Gramps, I do not find a convenient way to enter the fact that a particular resource (gallery item, source, place, research note, etc.) should be associated with a (possibly long) list of individuals, families, events, etc.  In general, you now have to go to each individual and add the item of interest, using lots of clicking and scrolling (and possibly making mistakes) to make the right associations.

Going the other direction, there are problems, too.  For example, if I want to get a list of people who are associated with a given place, it's not easy.  You open the Place, go to References, and all you get is a list of Events.  If you want the people associated with the events, you must open the Event and go to *its* References.  It would be great to be able to do this easily at the GUI level.

Feature requests, anyone?

Martin

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: Family photos

Duncan Lithgow-2
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking how many things to
connect the picture to? If so then I tend to put it into the clipboard
(together with the image explaining who everyone is) and paste it into
everyone who's in the picture. It doesn't take so long and helps build
a good picture of who each person is.

Duncan

Re: Family photos

Duncan Lithgow-2
Hi Doug, please remember to click 'Reply all' when replying. Here's
the message you sent me:

Not quite that: when I have a group picture I 'cut out' each person
and put the 'cut-out' into that person's gallery, so that he/she is
identified individually. When the group is a nuclear family (parents
and children) I edit the Family entry and paste the group picture
(uncut) into the gallery of the Family.
Logically I'd like to be able to paste a picture with grandma, aunts,
uncles and kids into the gallery of some kind of '3-Generation'
category. I know that's a nonsense, so I wondered what other people
do.

My reply.

You can always create an event for the photo, I've done that and just
made an event type called 'Gathering'. Then make all of them
participants in the event and attach the image to that.

Duncan

Re: Family photos

Guilhem Bonnefille
2008/8/22 Doug <[hidden email]>:
> I've been adding a lot of family photos to my GRAMPS db, cropping photos
> to individuals so I can put an individual photo in the individual's
> gallery; and where I have people all belonging to the same nuclear
> family, I've added the group photo to the gallery for that family.

Just a precision: when you say "cropping photos", are you doing this
ouside Gramps?
I recently discovered that Gramps includes a system to locate a person
on a familly photo:
1) you insert the photo in Gramps (perhaps as en event)
2) for each people both in the photo and in your DB, you do a
rectangular selection

By this way, I have portraits for lot of people and Gramps keeps that
these portraits are taken from the family photo.

I hope that help.
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- #UIN: 15146515 JID: [hidden email] MSN: [hidden email]

Re: Family photos

Duncan Lithgow-2
2008/8/24 Guilhem Bonnefille <[hidden email]>:
> Just a precision: when you say "cropping photos", are you doing this
> ouside Gramps?
> I recently discovered that Gramps includes a system to locate a person
> on a familly photo:
> 1) you insert the photo in Gramps (perhaps as en event)
> 2) for each people both in the photo and in your DB, you do a
> rectangular selection
You're right! I'd forgotten about that - where is this function?

Duncan

Re: Family photos

Benny Malengier
So to recap, the idea is:

1. create a media object for the foto, in the note add who is on it if you know
2. copy it to the clipboard
3. add it to the source the foto is stored in, so you can find it again (use drag and drop)
4. go to each person/family in the foto, and drop the foto from the clipboard there on the media tab. This opens a media reference dialog. In this dialog you can define a rectangular section which you can use to overlay on the foto, so to only see the person this reference is about.

This is in 3.0.1, so no need for manual cropping and such.
At the moment, the subsection is not visible in the reports, but it might be added somehow in the future

PS: you can also drag and drop the media reference instead of the media object, note that an exact copy of the reference is then created.

Benny

Guilhem Bonnefille wrote:

> 2008/8/22 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I've been adding a lot of family photos to my GRAMPS db, cropping photos
>> to individuals so I can put an individual photo in the individual's
>> gallery; and where I have people all belonging to the same nuclear
>> family, I've added the group photo to the gallery for that family.
>>

> Just a precision: when you say "cropping photos", are you doing this
> ouside Gramps?
> I recently discovered that Gramps includes a system to locate a person
> on a familly photo:
> 1) you insert the photo in Gramps (perhaps as en event)
> 2) for each people both in the photo and in your DB, you do a
> rectangular selection
>
> By this way, I have portraits for lot of people and Gramps keeps that
> these portraits are taken from the family photo.
>
> I hope that help.

I've  been using  Digikam (which enabled me to do some quick
exposure/contrast improvement on  most of my very old photos) or Gimp
(when they really needed a lot more work): cropping the photos was just
an additional step.

However I didn't know about the Gramps selection - it sounds
phenomenally useful if it keeps the references together logically as
well. Many thanks!
Doug

Re: Family photos

2008/8/26 Doug <[hidden email]>
Benny Malengier wrote:
So to recap, the idea is:

1. create a media object for the foto, in the note add who is on it if you know
2. copy it to the clipboard
3. add it to the source the foto is stored in, so you can find it again (use drag and drop)
4. go to each person/family in the foto, and drop the foto from the clipboard there on the media tab. This opens a media reference dialog. In this dialog you can define a rectangular section which you can use to overlay on the foto, so to only see the person this reference is about.

This is in 3.0.1, so no need for manual cropping and such.
At the moment, the subsection is not visible in the reports, but it might be added somehow in the future

PS: you can also drag and drop the media reference instead of the media object, note that an exact copy of the reference is then created.

Benny

<snip>
Now after a bit of experience with this, I very much like the way the shared data links the crop to the original picture. The snag, however, is that making the rectangular selection is painfully slow: I guess because my db has about 390 jpg files, totalling some 800MB. Is there some way this could be improved, or requested as a future feature?

There have been ideas for a rectangular selection tool by using the mouse. You could do a feature request for that. Finding a developer to do it is the problem however.

Benny

Doug