Family tree books

Harvey Nimmo
Who has experience creating a family tree/family history book.

My question is more about content than technique (that might come
later!)

I have about 1600 people in all of the 4 branches emanating back from
me and my spouse.

Re: Family tree books

salamandir-2
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 13:19:20 PST Harvey Nimmo, an eminent
manifestation of divinity, wrote:
> Who has experience creating a family tree/family history book.
>
> My question is more about content than technique (that might come
> later!)
>
> I have about 1600 people in all of the 4 branches emanating back from
> me and my spouse.

i HAVE a family tree book, made by a shirt-tail relative of mine, which
includes my parents and family... what there was of it at the time (other
siblings have been born since then).

the book is actually the family tree of someone who has a very similar name to
one of my family names -- the main subject of the book is the WOODY family,
and my family name is DeWOODY, after one of my relatives married a WOODY who
died, and she adopted the DeWOODY name... my relatives fill up a few pages of
the book, and are added as sort of a side note to the main subject, which is
most of the book.

despite the fact that the main subject is not actually my lineage, i have
found it very useful.

--
namaste
salamandir

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

()  ascii ribbon campaign - increased security
/\                        - against html e-mail
                          - against proprietary attachments
--
First you accept reality, then you beat it to death with a hammer.
     -- Charlie Krafft

Re: Family tree books

Harvey Nimmo
On Sun, 2018-12-16 at 19:36 -0800, salamandir wrote:

> On Sunday, 16 December 2018 13:19:20 PST Harvey Nimmo, an eminent
> manifestation of divinity, wrote:
> > Who has experience creating a family tree/family history book.
> >
> > My question is more about content than technique (that might come
> > later!)
> >
> > I have about 1600 people in all of the 4 branches emanating back
> > from
> > me and my spouse.
>
> i HAVE a family tree book, made by a shirt-tail relative of mine,
> which
> includes my parents and family... what there was of it at the time
> (other
> siblings have been born since then).
>
> the book is actually the family tree of someone who has a very
> similar name to
> one of my family names -- the main subject of the book is the WOODY
> family,
> and my family name is DeWOODY, after one of my relatives married a
> WOODY who
> died, and she adopted the DeWOODY name... my relatives fill up a few
> pages of
> the book, and are added as sort of a side note to the main subject,
> which is
> most of the book.
>
> despite the fact that the main subject is not actually my lineage, i
> have
> found it very useful.
>
> --
> namaste
> salamandir
> [hidden email]
>
> A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
> Q: Why is top posting bad?
>
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - increased security
> /\                        - against html e-mail
>                           - against proprietary attachments

Many thanks for your reply
I am wondering about creating a  family tree/family history book using
Gramps. Of my four family branches, 2 are in England, 1 in Scotland and
1 in Germany.

I am running Gramps in English, but some of my notes/descriptions etc.
are in German. So one (technical) question I have is (for the German-
speaking members of my family) how to create a German version of Gramps
and create a German version of the book. At least, presumably the field
titles/headings etc. would be in German, even if some of the narrative
text (i.e. notes/descriptions etc) would be in English.

If I think about what I have been trying to do with my family research,
I guess I was trying to get back as far as I can. On the way, I found
some fascinating hints about the lives of individual family members
(not to mention stories), some interesting insights into social life in
the past, and a few aspects which might link us with more distant
living relatives.

So I would appreciate getting some of your experience with organising
such a book? What reports from Gramps make most sense for such a
venture?

Cheers
Harvey
PS: "an eminent manifestation of divinity". Of course, that applies to
us all, but thanks for the reminder!!

Re: Family tree books

On 16/12/2018 21:19, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> Who has experience creating a family tree/family history book.
>
> My question is more about content than technique (that might come
> later!)
>
> I have about 1600 people in all of the 4 branches emanating back from
> me and my spouse.

Joachim Breitner wrote a book using Gramps back in 2011.

Have a look at the following post:

https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/27642442/

or the linked blog:

https://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/492-401_page_family_book_published

You may get some inspiration from it.

Re: Family tree books

Hello Harvey,

> I am running Gramps in English, but some of my notes/descriptions etc.
> are in German. So one (technical) question I have is (for the German-
> speaking members of my family) how to create a German version of Gramps
> and create a German version of the book. At least, presumably the field
> titles/headings etc. would be in German, even if some of the narrative
> text (i.e. notes/descriptions etc) would be in English.

Please check:
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Howto:Change_the_language_of_reports

I have never created books myself, so I can't advise on the subject
itself. For localization, please don't forget the part about the locale,
which says that you may need to install the proper Gnome language pack
for this to work.

Cheers,

Re: Family tree books

salamandir-2
On Monday, 17 December 2018 02:48:46 PST Harvey Nimmo, an eminent
manifestation of divinity, wrote:
> Many thanks for your reply
> I am wondering about creating a  family tree/family history book using
> Gramps. Of my four family branches, 2 are in England, 1 in Scotland and
> 1 in Germany.

the book that i have was NOT created using GRAMPS. in fact, because of the
fact that the book that i have was originally published in 1989, i would
venture to say that it was published before GRAMPS was invented... in other
words, the author (Newt Brightwell) probably did the majority of it the old-
fashioned way, with a pencil and a lot of poring through old books.

> I am running Gramps in English
> <!-- SNIP! -->
> At least, presumably the field
> titles/headings etc. would be in German, even if some of the narrative
> text (i.e. notes/descriptions etc) would be in English.

i have a few German relatives in GRAMPS. it is my understanding and experience
that GRAMPS works well with unicode, so that things like ß (German "Eszett")
and suchlike will render correctly...

but i don't have the first clue how to make a book in German with the English
version of GRAMPS. i imagine that a large part of it would involve translating
the parts that you want to include from English to German.

> So I would appreciate getting some of your experience with organising
> such a book? What reports from Gramps make most sense for such a
> venture?

i am a graphic artist and a print broker, so i have quite a bit of experience
making physical books out of things, but, as i said, i don't have a clue about
what features GRAMPS might (or might not) have that would make this process
easier.

> PS: "an eminent manifestation of divinity". Of course, that applies to
> us all, but thanks for the reminder!!

i am aware that it applies to all of us, which is why my email client is
configured to put that phrase at the top of every email to which i reply. 😉

--
namaste
salamandir

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

()  ascii ribbon campaign - increased security
/\                        - against html e-mail
                          - against proprietary attachments
--
I'm just kidding you mostly. I don't believe any of these
things and I don't want to be agreed with about them...

Re: Family tree books

Oldest1

Thank you for that reference - it will be very helpful ;-)

On 2018-12-17 4:29 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 16/12/2018 21:19, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
Who has experience creating a family tree/family history book.

My question is more about content than technique (that might come
later!)

I have about 1600 people in all of the 4 branches emanating back from
me and my spouse.
After working on something along the lines you might be thinking of for at least a couple of years, I have tried finally make up a document this year and I expect to produce a 'new and improved' version for the next few years, rather than wait until the 'magnum opus' is all finished, which it very likely may never be :-).

Even so I have not made use of, or even investigated, all of the options available in Gramps.

For now I have only used the Ahnentafel and descendants reports for the major branches of interest to my immediate family as the main genealogical data set for the document. The rest consists of some more historical data collected relating to the main places of origin.

The current document was produced as a composite document with LibreOffice. Each report from Gramps was created as an ODT file, which I spliced into the master document with a bit of massaging (such as page breaks etc.) to get the overall look I had wanted.

Of course, the current 'final' document is nothing more than a 50 page PDF, printed on my local printer and then bound in a small 3-ring binder; nothing typeset, printed and bound - at least for now.

Arnold