FamilySearch ID's

Peter Merchant
Any suggestions where I should put FamilySearch ID numbers  in my records?

Peter M

Re: FamilySearch ID's

Bill Gee
I put them in as an "Attribute" on each person record.  I also add the URL as an "Internet" item on the person record.  That is sort of redundant because the ID is part of the URL.

Same for Find A Grave.

--
Bill Gee

On Friday, March 15, 2019 11:01:21 AM CDT Peter Merchant wrote:

> Any suggestions where I should put FamilySearch ID numbers  in my records?
>
> Peter M

Re: FamilySearch ID's

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I added a Source for FamilySearch and another for FindAGrave and others for WikiTree & Daughter's of the American Republic's ancestor search.

Then added a Citation for each person where the Page as the profile ID & the Date is when I last harvested data from that profile.

added a Note to each Source with info on the URL path template to append the profile ID to hit the site directly. So now this data isn't redundantly stored.

Haven't used the Repository feature but an Internet one would probably be best for collating these sources.

(Did something similar for Newspapers & Periodicals. Only those citations have have separate sources for each Press while the Citations have the actual Date of Publication and Page number.  When there is only an isolated Citation from a Press, I use a Source named Newspapers:Misc with the publication name/location as a "Volume" prefix to the page. If there are enough Citations for a Press, I'll create a separate Source and retrofit the Citations.)

Hoping we will eventually have a feature like the custom Search Engine configuration which let users set up a URL string with parameter passing.

That used to work for making custom Google searchbars. For a while it was nice to be able to directly search book ISBNs, permalinks, and databases... until the Web tools providing the searches realized we could bypass their revenue stream Ads and kept changing the parameter passing.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:06, Bill Gee
I put them in as an "Attribute" on each person record.  I also add the URL as an "Internet" item on the person record.  That is sort of redundant because the ID is part of the URL.

Same for Find A Grave.

--
Bill Gee

On Friday, March 15, 2019 11:01:21 AM CDT Peter Merchant wrote:

> Any suggestions where I should put FamilySearch ID numbers  in my records?
>
> Peter M

Re: FamilySearch ID's

Catherine White
I use Linekio getmyancestors (https://github.com/Linekio/getmyancestors) to download from FamilySearch automatically.  It adds the ids as an Attribute for you.  It's very useful for automating.
Just have to (at some point) create the script that will merge all people in Gramps who have the same FamilySearch id.

Catherine

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added a Source for FamilySearch and another for FindAGrave and others for WikiTree & Daughter's of the American Republic's ancestor search.

Then added a Citation for each person where the Page as the profile ID & the Date is when I last harvested data from that profile.

added a Note to each Source with info on the URL path template to append the profile ID to hit the site directly. So now this data isn't redundantly stored.

Haven't used the Repository feature but an Internet one would probably be best for collating these sources.

(Did something similar for Newspapers & Periodicals. Only those citations have have separate sources for each Press while the Citations have the actual Date of Publication and Page number.  When there is only an isolated Citation from a Press, I use a Source named Newspapers:Misc with the publication name/location as a "Volume" prefix to the page. If there are enough Citations for a Press, I'll create a separate Source and retrofit the Citations.)

Hoping we will eventually have a feature like the custom Search Engine configuration which let users set up a URL string with parameter passing.

That used to work for making custom Google searchbars. For a while it was nice to be able to directly search book ISBNs, permalinks, and databases... until the Web tools providing the searches realized we could bypass their revenue stream Ads and kept changing the parameter passing.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:06, Bill Gee
I put them in as an "Attribute" on each person record.  I also add the URL as an "Internet" item on the person record.  That is sort of redundant because the ID is part of the URL.

Same for Find A Grave.

--
Bill Gee

On Friday, March 15, 2019 11:01:21 AM CDT Peter Merchant wrote:

> Any suggestions where I should put FamilySearch ID numbers  in my records?
>
> Peter M

Re: FamilySearch ID's

Peter Merchant
Thank you all. That's wonderful.

This morning I found two post-it notes with lots of ID numbers on them, so I just have to work backwards to the people now.

Cheers,

Peter M.

Re: FamilySearch ID's

Richard Nairn
I did something like this too. Created a custom attribute to store the
ID. I haven't totally got the hang of creating my references so I also
tend to create a note which contains the full citation reference so that
everything is captured...

On 2019-03-15 10:04 a.m., Bill Gee wrote:
> I put them in as an "Attribute" on each person record.  I also add the URL as an "Internet" item on the person record.  That is sort of redundant because the ID is part of the URL.
>
> Same for Find A Grave.

Re: FamilySearch ID's

I presume that the ID numbers in question are those for individuals
within the Family Tree part of the website. If so I would like to point
out that those ID numbers are subject to change when merging individuals
and are therefore not permanent.

George Baynes

On 15/03/2019 16:01, Peter Merchant wrote:

> Any suggestions where I should put FamilySearch ID numbers  in my records?
>
> Peter M

Re: FamilySearch ID's

Kurt Caulley
What happens when your FS ID is merged into a different ID? Can you still
locate the original FS ID?

Kurt

Re: FamilySearch ID's

GRAMPS - User mailing list
No, the system just says it doesn't exist. No forwarding, no referral ID.

FamilySearch misses some pretty basic things.

But their system for attaching References is really cool. (Oddly, it's much better in the Android app than the browser based. Usually the reverse is true of their tools.)

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 15:12, CurtD