Faster adding of whole families

Martin Hawlisch
Hi!

As a regular user of GeneWeb I can say that GRAMPS requires many more user interaction (e.g. mouse cklicks) to add a bunch of new families. This is because GRAMPS has a very flexible and well structured UI, but many of the information has to be entered in lists (children, events) and popups (children, sources, places). I'm sure I'm not alone when saying: I want to add families in a faster way!

What I dont want is a predefined UI that contains a bunch of input fields for father, mother and children, because when adding a family or person from a source the ammount of information is limited and in many cases identical for the same kind of source (e.g. birth certificate).

I dont want to have a new family editor but a special UI only for adding new data that provides one large form containing input fields for all the information. For example this could be: father/mother firstname, lastname, age, occupation, last address; Marriage date and place; name, age, occupation of witnesses; firstname and marriage place and year of children.

What do you think about the following:

1) We add a UI for entering a new family, in a first step providing a fixed set of input fields to see if that is a good way to go and how we can build the UI layout and input elements.

2) We collect information about what details are provided for given types of sources.

3) We change the new UI to read the layout from XML, providing multiple predefined sets for different common sources.

4) We add a editor for creating custom layouts.

The custom filter editor shows that providing an editor and creating xml descriptions is a very flexible way.

Other ideas or opinions?

Cheers, Martin.

Re: Faster adding of whole families

Don Allingham
I think I would need to see an example to fully understand this.

Don

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 22:39 +0100, Martin Hawlisch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As a regular user of GeneWeb I can say that GRAMPS requires many more user interaction (e.g. mouse cklicks) to add a bunch of new families. This is because GRAMPS has a very flexible and well structured UI, but many of the information has to be entered in lists (children, events) and popups (children, sources, places). I'm sure I'm not alone when saying: I want to add families in a faster way!
>
> What I dont want is a predefined UI that contains a bunch of input fields for father, mother and children, because when adding a family or person from a source the ammount of information is limited and in many cases identical for the same kind of source (e.g. birth certificate).
>
> I dont want to have a new family editor but a special UI only for adding new data that provides one large form containing input fields for all the information. For example this could be: father/mother firstname, lastname, age, occupation, last address; Marriage date and place; name, age, occupation of witnesses; firstname and marriage place and year of children.
>
> What do you think about the following:
>
> 1) We add a UI for entering a new family, in a first step providing a fixed set of input fields to see if that is a good way to go and how we can build the UI layout and input elements.
>
> 2) We collect information about what details are provided for given types of sources.
>
> 3) We change the new UI to read the layout from XML, providing multiple predefined sets for different common sources.
>
> 4) We add a editor for creating custom layouts.
>

> The custom filter editor shows that providing an editor and creating xml descriptions is a very flexible way.
>

> Other ideas or opinions?
>
> Cheers, Martin.

Re: Faster adding of whole families

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 04:47, Don Allingham wrote:

> I think I would need to see an example to fully understand this.
>
> > As a regular user of GeneWeb I can say that GRAMPS requires many more
> > user interaction (e.g. mouse cklicks) to add a bunch of new families.
> > This is because GRAMPS has a very flexible and well structured UI, but
> > many of the information has to be entered in lists (children, events)
> > and popups (children, sources, places). I'm sure I'm not alone when
> > saying: I want to add families in a faster way!
> >
> > What I dont want is a predefined UI that contains a bunch of input
> > fields for father, mother and children, because when adding a family or
> > person from a source the ammount of information is limited and in many
> > cases identical for the same kind of source (e.g. birth certificate).
> >
> > I dont want to have a new family editor but a special UI only for
> > adding new data that provides one large form containing input fields
> > for all the information. For example this could be: father/mother
> > firstname, lastname, age, occupation, last address; Marriage date and
> > place; name, age, occupation of witnesses; firstname and marriage place
> > and year of children.

When you enter a lot of new items, that's more like importing data to Gramps
than editing or viewing (what one usually does with Gramps).  I don't think
it makes sense to add this functionality directly to Gramps.

I have (a very old) proposal where the data would be edited in a
spreadsheet, exported from the spreadsheet as CSV and then imported to
the Gramps.  Gramps doesn't have yet CSV import/export filter, but doing
those shouldn't be that hard.  (Python already has a CSV module)

> > What do you think about the following:
> >
> > 1) We add a UI for entering a new family, in a first step providing a
> > fixed set of input fields to see if that is a good way to go and how we
> > can build the UI layout and input elements.
> >
> > 2) We collect information about what details are provided for given
> > types of sources.
> >
> > 3) We change the new UI to read the layout from XML, providing multiple
> > predefined sets for different common sources.
> >
> > 4) We add a editor for creating custom layouts.
> >
> > The custom filter editor shows that providing an editor and creating
> > xml descriptions is a very flexible way.

If you like playing with XML, why not make a tool that takes the XML
template, the list of data (e.g. in CSV format) and produces as a result
Gramps XML database that can be imported/joined to the current Gramps
database? :-)

The existing Gramps import tools can already handle overlaps in the data
(between the existing database and what is being imported).

However, making a "generic" tool that supports arbitrary object relations is
very hard, I don't think it really makes sense.  Entering the data is the
thing taking most of the time. After you've imported all the information on
the new people, adding their relations in Gramps using its current
facilities shouldn't be that hard.

        - Eero