Filiation report ?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI

Is there a way in GRAMPS to extract from my family tree just a list of all the intervening individuals between a direct ancestor and muself ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
            Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                                                 -- H. L. Mencken

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Filiation report ?

lynches155
You can do this using a custom filter in the People view.
Combine two rules:
Ancestral filters / Ancestors of <person>
Descendant filters / Descendants of <person>

Mary

Re: Filiation report ?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
There are a LOT of filter options which can be used list this kind of common Ancestor information. (The Relationship filters rules are worth some experiments for indirect relationships.) I prefer to not use the People category filters for lineage unless my intent is to export the results. It is too hard to interpret the relationships. Particularly when the Person category view is Grouped or sorted alphabetically.

(In the case of exporting, I'd tag the results of the first filter, then run a subsequent filter to find at least the Spouses of the Tagged people & perhaps also the tagged person's parents/siblings/offspring. Expand the Tag to THOSE results & export the Tagged Persons. This slight bloat clarifies things when there are blended families.)

BUT the instant way to see the lineage to a direct acestor is with the Deep Connections gramplet. Set yourself as the Home Person and make the Ancestor as the Active Person.  Unfortunately, like also lacks the perspective of the spouses.

The Pedigree gramplet is wonderful for providing that kind of perspective. But you can get into information overload easily.

For both these gramplets, you can Select All & Copy the displayed results, then Paste & trim out the excesses.

But there's a third, less obvious approach using the Family category View... one that shows both spouses, has a compact footprint and provides a stable yet navigatable timeline perspective.

First note down the Family IDs for you & your spouse as well as that of the Ancestor. (It's too painful to find multiple Family IDs while creating filter rules.) In the filter gramplet for the Family category View, create a custom filter with 2 rules where ALL rules must apply :
1) General filters:Ancestor families of <family> for your Family ID, and;
2) General filters: Descendant families of <family> for your Ancestor's Family ID
Sort the results on the Marriage date. (If you don't have marriage dates, add an unknown relationship with an 'Estimate Between' date range from the estimated puberty age of the younger parent & the birth year of their 1st child.)

If there are no results, you're not connected ... or you haven't filled in the connecting links. If there are results but neither you nor they are listed, you have common ancestry but they are a cousin/aunt/uncle ... or you haven't filled in those pesky connecting links. If you see overlapping timelines in the results, there are some cousin marriages between you and that Ancestor.

Since you'll normally being filtering families in relation to yourself, you'll only need to edit the 'Descendant' rule for checking on another person. The 'Ancestor' rule just stays focused on you.

The idiosyncratically nice thing about using the Family category view is that it does not Sync the list with the Active person. So you can intuitively traverse the lineage in the Family category by opening a Family and using the Edit icon gadget for the parents or right-clicking the children rows & choosing Edit Child.

Less intuitively, the Active person focus doesn't change with the edit. So you can't absently swap to a different category View and tweak the nearby relatives, haring down all those attractive rabbit holes. But you CAN sift the focus by right-clicking one of those persons opened from the Family edit window & then right-clicking again to choose "Make Active Person".

And once you get lost down those beckoning rabbit holes, just go back to that un-sync'd Family category View to regain your proper focus.

-Brian

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 16:45, Mary Lynch
You can do this using a custom filter in the People view.
Combine two rules:
Ancestral filters / Ancestors of <person>
Descendant filters / Descendants of <person>

Mary

Re: Filiation report ?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Whoops, the Cousin/Aunt/Uncle results won't appear with the Ancestor + Descendant rule combo. That'd have to be a variant using the Ancestor rule for both families.

-Brian

Fwd: Filiation report ?

Chris Hunt

Is there a way in GRAMPS to extract from my family tree just a list of all the intervening individuals between a direct ancestor and myself ?

Cheers,
Ron.

Regards

Chris Hunt

Re: Filiation report ?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI

My thanks to all for their kind advice.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                      Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist
                       ought to have his head examined.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Filiation report ?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 21:11:35 +0000
Mary Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can do this using a custom filter in the People view.
> Combine two rules:
> Ancestral filters / Ancestors of <person>
> Descendant filters / Descendants of <person>

Thank you, Mary.

When I try that, all the individuals disappear from the People window.

What did I miss ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                Certains miroirs feraient mieux de réfléchir
                         avant de renvoyer une image.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Filiation report ?

lynches155
I don't know what you missed, it works for me.

Here is a screenshot of the filter I used:

and here is the code from custom_filters.xml:
    <filter name="test" function="and">
      <rule class="IsAncestorOf" use_regex="False">
        <arg value="I0000"/>
        <arg value="1"/>
      </rule>
      <rule class="IsDescendantOf" use_regex="False">
        <arg value="I0002"/>
        <arg value="1"/>
      </rule>
    </filter>

You could check that you have the two individuals the right way round, and that one really is the ancestor of the other.

I tried to find a sample gramps database that I could use to test this filter, but couldn't find one. Can anyone point me to one?

Mary

> You can do this using a custom filter in the People view.
> Combine two rules:
> Ancestral filters / Ancestors of <person>
> Descendant filters / Descendants of <person>

Thank you, Mary.

When I try that, all the individuals disappear from the People window.

What did I miss ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                Certains miroirs feraient mieux de réfléchir
                         avant de renvoyer une image.
                                              -- Jean Cocteau

Re: Filiation report ?

Did you put the correct person in the filter rule?

Make sure to put the grandchild as the Ancestors of <person> and the
distant grandparent as the Descendants of <person>.  The default is to
have both rules apply which is what you want.  So long as the two
people are in each others lines, you should get a list of all the
intermediate people.

I was scratching my head to help you. When Mary replied it became
obvious and worked great for me.

Dave