Filter Question

Gerald Britton-2
I want to set up a filter to capture the ancestors of John Smith, as
well as spouses and children of those ancestors.  So far I did this:

1. Made a filter JohnSmithAncestors filtering the ancestors of John Smith.
2. Made a filter JohnSmithFamilies specifying any match of:

    a) people matching JohnSmithAncestors
    b) siblings of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
    c) spouses of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
    b) children of people matching JohnSmithAncestors

Now I test both filters.  The first one works fine and produces a
small list of John's ancestors.
The second filter produces nothing at all!

I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see it.

Can anyone with more success with filters help me out?

Re: Filter Question

Jim Winfrey
On 9/18/06, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to set up a filter to capture the ancestors of John Smith, as
> well as spouses and children of those ancestors.  So far I did this:
>
> 1. Made a filter JohnSmithAncestors filtering the ancestors of John Smith.
> 2. Made a filter JohnSmithFamilies specifying any match of:
>
>     a) people matching JohnSmithAncestors
>     b) siblings of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
>     c) spouses of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
>     b) children of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
>
> Now I test both filters.  The first one works fine and produces a
> small list of John's ancestors.
> The second filter produces nothing at all!
>
> I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see it.
>
> Can anyone with more success with filters help me out?

Gerald, are you writing the second filter so that the search
parameters are "or" relationships?  As you've written them, it reads
like all parameters have to be met to qualify or an "and" search.

Jim

Re: Filter Question

Gerald Britton-2
"OR" relationships. Note that I said "any match  of".  I clicked the
radio button that says:

At least one rule must apply

You know what.  I bet I clicked "test" before "apply"  since now it IS
filtering.

One last thing though.  My new filter doesn't appear in the dropdown
filter list.  ONly the standard ones.  Is there something else I must
do to see my new filter in the list

On 9/18/06, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/18/06, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I want to set up a filter to capture the ancestors of John Smith, as
> > well as spouses and children of those ancestors.  So far I did this:
> >
> > 1. Made a filter JohnSmithAncestors filtering the ancestors of John Smith.
> > 2. Made a filter JohnSmithFamilies specifying any match of:
> >
> >     a) people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> >     b) siblings of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> >     c) spouses of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> >     b) children of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> >
> > Now I test both filters.  The first one works fine and produces a
> > small list of John's ancestors.
> > The second filter produces nothing at all!
> >
> > I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see it.
> >
> > Can anyone with more success with filters help me out?
> >

> Gerald, are you writing the second filter so that the search
> parameters are "or" relationships?  As you've written them, it reads
> like all parameters have to be met to qualify or an "and" search.
>
> Jim

Re: Filter Question

Gerald Britton-2
I restarted gramps but only a few filters show up in the drop down.  I
have two person filters but they don't show up there.  In the dropdown
my choices are "Entire database", Ancestors of <current person>,
Descendants of <current person>, People with common ancestry of
<current person>

As it is, this means that I cannot export a portion of the database,
based on filters.

A second concern is that in 2.0.11 there was only really a person
filter.  If you export to gedcom using it, you don't get all places,
events etc. but those that match the filtered people (at least that's
how it looks to me).  With 2.1.195, I'm concerned that I will have to
build filters for every object type then apply them all to restrict my
database.  Is this true?
What about a person filter option that says "apply this filter to all
other objects"?

On 9/18/06, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "OR" relationships. Note that I said "any match  of".  I clicked the
> radio button that says:
>
> At least one rule must apply
>
> You know what.  I bet I clicked "test" before "apply"  since now it IS
> filtering.
>
> One last thing though.  My new filter doesn't appear in the dropdown
> filter list.  ONly the standard ones.  Is there something else I must
> do to see my new filter in the list
>
> On 9/18/06, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 9/18/06, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I want to set up a filter to capture the ancestors of John Smith, as
> > > well as spouses and children of those ancestors.  So far I did this:
> > >
> > > 1. Made a filter JohnSmithAncestors filtering the ancestors of John Smith.
> > > 2. Made a filter JohnSmithFamilies specifying any match of:
> > >
> > >     a) people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> > >     b) siblings of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> > >     c) spouses of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> > >     b) children of people matching JohnSmithAncestors
> > >
> > > Now I test both filters.  The first one works fine and produces a
> > > small list of John's ancestors.
> > > The second filter produces nothing at all!
> > >
> > > I must be doing something wrong, but I can't see it.
> > >
> > > Can anyone with more success with filters help me out?
> > >

> > Gerald, are you writing the second filter so that the search
> > parameters are "or" relationships?  As you've written them, it reads
> > like all parameters have to be met to qualify or an "and" search.
> >
> > Jim

Re: Filter Question

Alex Roitman
Gerald,

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 15:35 -0400, Gerald Britton wrote:
> A second concern is that in 2.0.11 there was only really a person
> filter.  If you export to gedcom using it, you don't get all places,
> events etc. but those that match the filtered people (at least that's
> how it looks to me).  With 2.1.195, I'm concerned that I will have to
> build filters for every object type then apply them all to restrict my
> database.  Is this true?
> What about a person filter option that says "apply this filter to all
> other objects"?

The filters in export (once I fix it by allowing for custom filters
as well) will be working the way they did in 2.0.x: person-based.

Alex