Filter for blank date

Rich Lakey
I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank date.
I am trying
Event filters / People with the <death data>
and then in the Date field I have tried
blank (nothing)
" "
but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date. Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death event.
With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
Rich
--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Filter for blank date

Mary Lynch
Perhaps more a work-around than a complete filter, but how about:
  • Event filters/People with the personal <event>
  • select Personal event type "Death", leave other fields blank
  • run filter, then sort selected people by death date

People with an undated death event are sorted to the top.

Mary

On 14/02/2017 05:02, Rich wrote:
I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank date.
I am trying
Event filters / People with the <death data>
and then in the Date field I have tried
blank (nothing)
" "
but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date. Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death event.
With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
Rich

Re: Filter for blank date

paul womack
Rich wrote:
> I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank date.
> I am trying
> Event filters / People with the <death data>
> and then in the Date field I have tried
> blank (nothing)
> " "
> but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date. Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the deathevent.
> With " " I getnobody. What might I try?

I suspect the filter interprets an empty field as a "do not filter on this field"

I suggest turning ON regular expressions and searching for
^$
which explicitly looks for a start of line IMMEDIATELY followed
by an end of line.

(I have not confirmed my diagnosis or prescription).

  BugBear

Re: Filter for blank date

paul womack
paul womack wrote:
> I suspect the filter interprets an empty field as a "do not filter on this field"
>
> I suggest turning ON regular expressions and searching for
> ^$
> which explicitly looks for a start of line IMMEDIATELY followed
> by an end of line.
>
> (I have not confirmed my diagnosis or prescription).

And it shows. When tried, it is immediately apparent that
whilst my solution works for text fields (e.g. description)
dates are *parsed*, and don't support regexp.

  BugBear

Re: Filter for blank date

Harvey Nimmo
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:02 -0600, Rich wrote:

> I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank date.
> I am trying
> Event filters / People with the <death data>
> and then in the Date field I have tried
> blank (nothing)
> " "
> but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date.
> Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death
> event.
> With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
> Rich

How about creating a filter with the 'Person Filter Editor'?

I tried it (and it seemed to work!) with an Event filter (People with
the <death data>') where the death date was 'between 1 and 2020'
('after 1' or 'before 2020' seemed not to work) and check 'Return
values that do not match the filter rules'. You should get all people
without death dates.

With the above, you will also get people with only burial dates, so you
may want to add a second rule to filter them out as well. ('People with
the personal <event>' 'between 1 and 2020'.)

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Filter for blank date

Harvey Nimmo
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 11:17 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:02 -0600, Rich wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank
> > date.
> > I am trying
> > Event filters / People with the <death data>
> > and then in the Date field I have tried
> > blank (nothing)
> > " "
> > but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date.
> > Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death
> > event.
> > With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
> > Rich
>
> How about creating a filter with the 'Person Filter Editor'?
>
> I tried it (and it seemed to work!) with an Event filter (People with
> the <death data>') where the death date was 'between 1 and 2020'
> ('after 1' or 'before 2020' seemed not to work) and check 'Return
> values that do not match the filter rules'. You should get all people
> without death dates.
>
> With the above, you will also get people with only burial dates, so
> you
> may want to add a second rule to filter them out as well. ('People
> with
> the personal <event>' 'between 1 and 2020'.)
>
> Cheers
> Harvey

Caveat: This will only give you the people who have *blank* entries in
the death field. An imprecise date entry like 'after 1776' or 'before
1945' will count as an entry.

Re: Filter for blank date

Dave Scheipers
I just tried the this:
Event filter: Events with <data - Date= between 1 and 2020
with  'Return  values that do not match the filter rules' checked.

Then in the sidebar filter, use that filter and set the Events to Deaths

It returned all Deaths with no dates but it also included deaths with non-standard dates (which I'm still cleaning)

If you need this filter for a report, you'd need to use two filter rules.... not the date and Event Type = Death

Hope this helps, Dave

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 11:17 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:02 -0600, Rich wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank
> > date.
> > I am trying
> > Event filters / People with the <death data>
> > and then in the Date field I have tried
> > blank (nothing)
> > " "
> > but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date.
> > Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death
> > event.
> > With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
> > Rich
>
> How about creating a filter with the 'Person Filter Editor'?
>
> I tried it (and it seemed to work!) with an Event filter (People with
> the <death data>') where the death date was 'between 1 and 2020'
> ('after 1' or 'before 2020' seemed not to work) and check 'Return
> values that do not match the filter rules'. You should get all people
> without death dates.
>
> With the above, you will also get people with only burial dates, so
> you
> may want to add a second rule to filter them out as well. ('People
> with
> the personal <event>' 'between 1 and 2020'.)
>
> Cheers
> Harvey

Caveat: This will only give you the people who have *blank* entries in
the death field. An imprecise date entry like 'after 1776' or 'before
1945' will count as an entry.

Re: Filter for blank date

Doug-11
On 14/02/17 09:44, paul womack wrote:

> paul womack wrote:
>> I suspect the filter interprets an empty field as a "do not filter on this field"
>>
>> I suggest turning ON regular expressions and searching for
>> ^$
>> which explicitly looks for a start of line IMMEDIATELY followed
>> by an end of line.
>>
>> (I have not confirmed my diagnosis or prescription).
> And it shows. When tried, it is immediately apparent that
> whilst my solution works for text fields (e.g. description)
> dates are *parsed*, and don't support regexp.
>
>    BugBear
This is a long-standing gripe about dates - join the group
of grumpy old grampers :)

Doug

Re: Filter for blank date

Rich Lakey
Thank you for all your ideas, I will try them today. I am trying to clean up my Gramps DB. Many problems still exist from when I first imported it as a gedcom 7 years ago. Gramps does not like "UNKNOWN" or blank in a death event. I been fixing them as I researched each one, but there were 5000+ with UNKNOWN and 1000+ with a blank date and no place of death that I deleted yesterday. Even if a person is dead more than 110 years they still are considered alive if they have a death event with a blank date. Yesterday I went through all death events with blank or UNKNOWN and deleted all except those that had a place of death. If the place is known I would like to create a list of those to research and find a date. I guess I am going to need a report as I cannot just copy the results and paste in a text file.  I am guessing I have in the hundreds of death events with no date but a place of death left.
Rich

On 02/14/2017 07:03 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
I just tried the this:
Event filter: Events with <data - Date= between 1 and 2020
with  'Return  values that do not match the filter rules' checked.

Then in the sidebar filter, use that filter and set the Events to Deaths

It returned all Deaths with no dates but it also included deaths with non-standard dates (which I'm still cleaning)

If you need this filter for a report, you'd need to use two filter rules.... not the date and Event Type = Death

Hope this helps, Dave

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-02-14 at 11:17 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:02 -0600, Rich wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to create a filter to find death events with a blank
> > date.
> > I am trying
> > Event filters / People with the <death data>
> > and then in the Date field I have tried
> > blank (nothing)
> > " "
> > but neither returns people with a death event with a blank date.
> > Leaving it blank I get lots of people that have a date in the death
> > event.
> > With " " I get nobody. What might I try?
> > Rich
>
> How about creating a filter with the 'Person Filter Editor'?
>
> I tried it (and it seemed to work!) with an Event filter (People with
> the <death data>') where the death date was 'between 1 and 2020'
> ('after 1' or 'before 2020' seemed not to work) and check 'Return
> values that do not match the filter rules'. You should get all people
> without death dates.
>
> With the above, you will also get people with only burial dates, so
> you
> may want to add a second rule to filter them out as well. ('People
> with
> the personal <event>' 'between 1 and 2020'.)
>
> Cheers
> Harvey

Caveat: This will only give you the people who have *blank* entries in
the death field. An imprecise date entry like 'after 1776' or 'before
1945' will count as an entry.

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Filter for blank date

Rich Lakey
How do I print my filter results to a file?

I think I have what I want.  A list of Death events with name, blank date and a place of death. 234 people. That should keep me busy for a while.
I created a event filter, Events with <data>. Event type = Death, Date = between 1 and 2020.  Checked Return values that do not match the filter rules.
But this not only gave me all death records without a date but birth records without a date.  ( I guess they need tobe dealt with to) . I then used the filter in the sidebar and in Type selected Death and in the custom filter put the filter I had created. This eliminated the birth records.
Now how can I put these 234 records in a text file to research?
Rich

On 14/02/2017 17:53, Rich wrote:

> How do I print my filter results to a file?
>
> I think I have what I want.  A list of Death events with name, blank
> date and a place of death. 234 people. That should keep me busy for a
> while.
> I created a event filter, Events with <data>. Event type = Death, Date
> = between 1 and 2020.  Checked Return values that do not match the
> filter rules.
> But this not only gave me all death records without a date but birth
> records without a date.  ( I guess they need tobe dealt with to) . I
> then used the filter in the sidebar and in Type selected Death and in
> the custom filter put the filter I had created. This eliminated the
> birth records.
> Now how can I put these 234 records in a text file to research?
> Rich

Family Trees / Export View