Filters-Editing Notes

John Whitehand
Hello Gramps-2.0.3( Fedora c 3) users.
 I am seeking help to set up a filter which will allow me to
systematically view and  edit (correct typos etc)  the NOTES attached to
my quite large Database.(6000+ Individuals)
 It may well be that I have overlooked something as I have tried without
success to date, to set up a filter to Isolate all entries containing
Notes. which will I hope, reduce the  number to something like a more
manageble 2000..
Hoping for some guidance which will avoid the need to revert to that
other platform to carry out the Editing...
 Regards
 John

--
John Whitehand
West Footscray 3012

              http://www.vicnet.net.au/~whitehaj/welcome.htm

       A Linux Desktop - a few hurdles and fences but NO gates.

Re: Filters-Editing Notes

Alex Roitman
John,

On 07/05/2005 06:05:11 AM, John Whitehand wrote:
>  I am seeking help to set up a filter which will allow me to
> systematically view and  edit (correct typos etc)  the NOTES attached to
> my quite large Database.(6000+ Individuals)
>  It may well be that I have overlooked something as I have tried without
> success to date, to set up a filter to Isolate all entries containing
> Notes. which will I hope, reduce the  number to something like a more
> manageble 2000..
> Hoping for some guidance which will avoid the need to revert to that
> other platform to carry out the Editing...

It sounds like a good idea for a new useful filter. Presently, there's no
easy way to do that in gramps. A less-than-easy way would be to save the
data into XML (export into GRAMPS XML format) and then uncompress it
(gunzip -c data.gramps > data.xml) and edit the xml in any text editor
searching for the <note> tag. YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN EDITING XML
by hand. Then you would compress your data back
(gzip -c data.xml > data2.gramps) and import data2.gramps into GRAMPS.

However, we may implement the filter so it would catch the right people
within GRAMPS program. It is possible that it will make it into 2.0.5
expected in a day or two.

The catch here is that it's easy to find people who have notes. It is harder
to find people whose events have notes and whose families have notes and
whose family's events have notes, as well as attributes' notes, media object's
notes, media object attributes' notes, source reference's notes, etc.

In other words, not only Person objects but most other object can have
notes. Selecting people with notes in *any* of their records will be a
bit harder, so this would not be in 2.0.5 -- it may be in 2.0.6 though :-)

Alex

Re: Filters-Editing Notes

Stefan Björk
> However, we may implement the filter so it would catch the right people
> within GRAMPS program. It is possible that it will make it into 2.0.5
> expected in a day or two.

I, too, was looking for a similar filter the other day. I wanted to find
all persons with NickNames, but I found no possibility to create a
filter that checked if a field (any field) was set.

Stefan

Re: Filters-Editing Notes

Alex Roitman
On 07/05/2005 03:06:41 PM, Stefan Björk wrote:
> > However, we may implement the filter so it would catch the right people
> > within GRAMPS program. It is possible that it will make it into 2.0.5
> > expected in a day or two.
>
> I, too, was looking for a similar filter the other day. I wanted to find
> all persons with NickNames, but I found no possibility to create a
> filter that checked if a field (any field) was set.

This also would not be hard for us to implement, but unfortunately it
cannot be done in user-space at the moment.

You can write your own filter, though, in Python and place it under
~/.gramps/filters/ and it should be picked up on the startup and used
as if it came with gramps.

Alex