Quantcast

Filters to identify people with multiple events

Filters to identify people with multiple events

adrian.davey
While I am generally a great fan of gramps, there are some aspects of it
that just make my blood boil ...

Recently I made what I now realise was probably the serious mistake of
overlooking my misgivings and allowed gramps to merge various people.
Normally I do it myself, and while it can be tedious, at least I am
fully responsible for whatever results.

I had, perhaps naively, assumed that when I nominated which of the two
"mergees" was to take priority, inconsistent data from the other would
be discarded, but no! Somewhat unbelievably, after such a merge, gramps
shows multiple births, deaths etc for the retained person, but there
appears to be no way of filtering people to identify those that [now]
have multiple birth, death, burial etc events. In my case, I think I did
keep a reasonably complete record of all the "pairs" that I merged, but
I would much prefer to check!

The only filter I have found that permits identification of multiple
event types for a person is relationships. For example, there does not
appear to be any way for me to construct a filter that selects "people
with count of events=2 [AND] WHERE type=Birth" etc]?

Unless I am mistaken, in which case please point me to how I do this, is
this a bug or is fixing it a "feature request"?

Adrian

Re: Filters to identify people with multiple events

Dave Scheipers
Hi Adrian

When Gramps merges, the remaining individual has the other person's ID set as a Person attribute.

Attribute = "Merged Gramps ID"

So you can create a filter
>> General Filters >> People with the personal attribute <attribute>
Set the attribute to Merged Gramps ID and leave the value blank

This should give you the list of people. As you clean the individual, remember to delete the attribute so the now cleaned person comes off the list of people still to be cleaned.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Adrian Davey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Adrian,

> I had, perhaps naively, assumed that when I nominated which of the two
> "mergees" was to take priority, inconsistent data from the other would
> be discarded, but no! Somewhat unbelievably, after such a merge, gramps
> shows multiple births, deaths etc for the retained person, but there
> appears to be no way of filtering people to identify those that [now]
> have multiple birth, death, burial etc events. In my case, I think I did
> keep a reasonably complete record of all the "pairs" that I merged, but
> I would much prefer to check!
> Unless I am mistaken, in which case please point me to how I do this, is
> this a bug or is fixing it a "feature request"?
I don't think it's a bug, although one could say that by giving a
choice, one could expect that a user thinks that the other data will be
discarded, especially because the merge window does mention a couple of
things that will be merged, like notes, so one could expect that objects
not mentioned aren't merged either.

One could also expect, because the wiki says so, that identical names
and events are merged, but the reality is that they aren't.

With these things in mind, I suggest that you create a feature request
for this, with two aspects. One to create a filter for duplicate events
(and names), and another to automatically eliminate objects that are
exact duplicates. With that I mean identical names, attributes, and
events. And IMO events are identical when they have identical types,
dates, and places. Those events can automatically be merged into one,
where one can of course have notes and sources attached to both, which
should not be merged, unless they are identical too.

One can take this one step further with merging places too.

regards,

Re: Filters to identify people with multiple events

Doug-11
Dave,

That's a very useful tip - Why don't you put a note in the Wiki section on Merging People?

Doug

On 25/03/17 13:37, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Hi Adrian

When Gramps merges, the remaining individual has the other person's ID set as a Person attribute.

Attribute = "Merged Gramps ID"

So you can create a filter
>> General Filters >> People with the personal attribute <attribute>
Set the attribute to Merged Gramps ID and leave the value blank

This should give you the list of people. As you clean the individual, remember to delete the attribute so the now cleaned person comes off the list of people still to be cleaned.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Adrian Davey <[hidden email]> wrote:
While I am generally a great fan of gramps, there are some aspects of it
that just make my blood boil ...

Recently I made what I now realise was probably the serious mistake of
overlooking my misgivings and allowed gramps to merge various people.
Normally I do it myself, and while it can be tedious, at least I am
fully responsible for whatever results.

I had, perhaps naively, assumed that when I nominated which of the two
"mergees" was to take priority, inconsistent data from the other would
be discarded, but no! Somewhat unbelievably, after such a merge, gramps
shows multiple births, deaths etc for the retained person, but there
appears to be no way of filtering people to identify those that [now]
have multiple birth, death, burial etc events. In my case, I think I did
keep a reasonably complete record of all the "pairs" that I merged, but
I would much prefer to check!

The only filter I have found that permits identification of multiple
event types for a person is relationships. For example, there does not
appear to be any way for me to construct a filter that selects "people
with count of events=2 [AND] WHERE type=Birth" etc]?

Unless I am mistaken, in which case please point me to how I do this, is
this a bug or is fixing it a "feature request"?

Adrian

Re: Filters to identify people with multiple events

paul womack
Adrian Davey wrote:
> After such a merge, gramps
> shows multiple births, deaths etc for the retained person.

Indeed. There is no general constraint in Gramps that Birth or Death events
should be unique, and this is reasonable.

If you find multiple documents for a birth, giving different
dates you might well choose to record them as multiple
birth events, and defer deciding between until more evidence
is available.

Or course, many Events are reasonable as multiples e.g. Occupation.

With regard to merging people, you may be about to find another
quirk of gramps. I don't know of any easy way to merge 2 events
for a single person. IME it is more less common to deleting a "bad" Event,
but to merge the 2 partially true Events.

Event merging is available on the Event view (you cannot merge Events
in a Persons Event dialogue), so you need to find a way to somehow
get the 2 events "found and selected" in the Event window before you can merge them;

e.g. with multiple Birth events, you probably want to end up with 1 Birth event,
with 1 date, 1 Place, but all the Citations and notes.

If anyone know an elegant solution to this, I'm all ears.

  BugBear

Re: Filters to identify people with multiple events

Dave Scheipers
I use the delete event method after merging. The key is to remember to check for citations etc that you may want to transfer to the event your saving.

I rarely share events with other people so that is usually not an issue but something to consider.

As far as merging events and the need to change to the event view... create a tag Merge, tag the events in the person edit screen then filter the events on the tag. Works great too to make sure the correct John Smith's get merged. After the merge, just remember to remove the tag from the event unless it will be merged with another entry.

Dave