Find a Grave

Kevin Wright-5
The site findagrave.com has been very useful for my research.
(1) What do you think is the best way to cite a headstone from findagrave?
(2) It would be handy if all I had to do was enter the memorial number, and GRAMPS would create a link.  Maybe this could be a gramplet. If someone creates a gramplet, it might be nice to have a series of checkboxes labeled "link to person", "link to birth event", "link to burial event", etc.

--
Kevin Wright

Re: Find a Grave

Adam Stein-3
That would be really nice to have.  I use FindAGrave a lot.  I manually
save the tombstone images and enter the tombstone words into a Source.
For the burial event, I list plot location.

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 19:13 -0500, Kevin Wright wrote:

> The site findagrave.com has been very useful for my research.
> (1) What do you think is the best way to cite a headstone from
> findagrave?
> (2) It would be handy if all I had to do was enter the memorial
> number, and GRAMPS would create a link.  Maybe this could be a
> gramplet. If someone creates a gramplet, it might be nice to have a
> series of checkboxes labeled "link to person", "link to birth event",
> "link to burial event", etc.
>
> --
> Kevin Wright

Adam <[hidden email]>

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-stein/18/b06/1b3

Re: Find a Grave

Duncan Lithgow-5
I've never used the site you mention, but I do the same as Kevin with
Headstones and burial information.

Duncan

--
'The unconsidered life is not worth living' - Socrates

Re: Find a Grave

DS Blank
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That would be really nice to have.  I use FindAGrave a lot.  I manually
> save the tombstone images and enter the tombstone words into a Source.
> For the burial event, I list plot location.

Another possibility is to have a "screenscraper" in your webbrowser
that can gather the information, format it, and pass it to Gramps.
Perhaps an example is the best way to show this. An example of this
technique is used by citeulike.org. It is described here:

http://www.citeulike.org/post

It works like this:

1. Register at citeulike and install the citeulike button
2. Go to one of the sites mentioned at the bottom of the the above URL
3. Press the button
4. The data on the page is sent to a URL (we could download it to
gramps) and stored

The data is "scraped" from the URLs using a plugin architecture described here:

http://svn.citeulike.org/svn/plugins/HOWTO.txt

I've written some of these for another project, and it works fine as
long as the HTML doesn't change too much.

This idea could be used for other types of on-line data. This is just
an idea, and I wonder if people would like it.

-Doug

> On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 19:13 -0500, Kevin Wright wrote:
>> The site findagrave.com has been very useful for my research.
>> (1) What do you think is the best way to cite a headstone from
>> findagrave?
>> (2) It would be handy if all I had to do was enter the memorial
>> number, and GRAMPS would create a link.  Maybe this could be a
>> gramplet. If someone creates a gramplet, it might be nice to have a
>> series of checkboxes labeled "link to person", "link to birth event",
>> "link to burial event", etc.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Wright

> Adam <[hidden email]>
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-stein/18/b06/1b3

Re: Find a Grave

Adam Stein-3
Interesting idea.  Haven't heard of citeulike before.  I'll have to look
into it.

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 06:49 -0400, Doug Blank wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > That would be really nice to have.  I use FindAGrave a lot.  I manually
> > save the tombstone images and enter the tombstone words into a Source.
> > For the burial event, I list plot location.
>
> Another possibility is to have a "screenscraper" in your webbrowser
> that can gather the information, format it, and pass it to Gramps.
> Perhaps an example is the best way to show this. An example of this
> technique is used by citeulike.org. It is described here:
>
> http://www.citeulike.org/post
>
> It works like this:
>
> 1. Register at citeulike and install the citeulike button
> 2. Go to one of the sites mentioned at the bottom of the the above URL
> 3. Press the button
> 4. The data on the page is sent to a URL (we could download it to
> gramps) and stored
>
> The data is "scraped" from the URLs using a plugin architecture described here:
>
> http://svn.citeulike.org/svn/plugins/HOWTO.txt
>
> I've written some of these for another project, and it works fine as
> long as the HTML doesn't change too much.
>
> This idea could be used for other types of on-line data. This is just
> an idea, and I wonder if people would like it.
>
> -Doug
>
> > On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 19:13 -0500, Kevin Wright wrote:
> >> The site findagrave.com has been very useful for my research.
> >> (1) What do you think is the best way to cite a headstone from
> >> findagrave?
> >> (2) It would be handy if all I had to do was enter the memorial
> >> number, and GRAMPS would create a link.  Maybe this could be a
> >> gramplet. If someone creates a gramplet, it might be nice to have a
> >> series of checkboxes labeled "link to person", "link to birth event",
> >> "link to burial event", etc.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kevin Wright

> > --
> > Adam <[hidden email]>
> >
> > http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-stein/18/b06/1b3

Adam <[hidden email]>

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-stein/18/b06/1b3

Re: Find a Grave

Martin Ewing
Another facility for grabbing web data and managing all kinds of library research is Zotero, an add-on for the Firefox browser.  I don't think it makes an image out of a web page - it just captures the HTML.  However, the normal "screenshot" functions will make an image.  Zotero will automatically synchronize its files among all your computers - that's really neat.

Cheers,
Martin

Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL