Finding Person by searching Places

Ross Gammon
Hi All,

I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I have
researched. They have given me some names, dates and places. The names
and places are very familiar, so they must be in the database (or still
on paper) somewhere.

Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering on the
places gives me some hits.

For each place, the references tab (at the bottom of the screen) gives
me some references (Events - censuses in one particular case). Double
clicking on the event opens the Census event, but this only gives me a
source citation. Double clicking the source citation gives me the
source, and all the events referencing this source.

How can I find out which people these places are attached to? Any ideas?

Regards,

Ross
PS: using Ubuntu 14.04 - Gramps pre-4.0.4 ppa

Re: Finding Person by searching Places

Douglas Bainbridge
On 04/06/14 16:58, Ross Gammon wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I have
> researched. They have given me some names, dates and places. The names
> and places are very familiar, so they must be in the database (or still
> on paper) somewhere.
>
> Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering on the
> places gives me some hits.
>
> For each place, the references tab (at the bottom of the screen) gives
> me some references (Events - censuses in one particular case). Double
> clicking on the event opens the Census event, but this only gives me a
> source citation. Double clicking the source citation gives me the
> source, and all the events referencing this source.
>
> How can I find out which people these places are attached to? Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross
> PS: using Ubuntu 14.04 - Gramps pre-4.0.4 ppa
I'd like to help but don't fully understand.
How are your Event Descriptions set up?
Mine are (mostly) by Tools=> Family Tree Processing=>
Extract Event Description, so the References tab on a Place
usually shows names of relevant people.
What sorts of Events are you getting?

Regards,
Doug

On 06/04/2014 07:22 PM, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:

> On 04/06/14 16:58, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I
>> have researched. They have given me some names, dates and places.
>> The names and places are very familiar, so they must be in the
>> database (or still on paper) somewhere.
>>
>> Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering
>> on the places gives me some hits.
>>
>> For each place, the references tab (at the bottom of the screen)
>> gives me some references (Events - censuses in one particular
>> case). Double clicking on the event opens the Census event, but
>> this only gives me a source citation. Double clicking the source
>> citation gives me the source, and all the events referencing this
>> source.
>>
>> How can I find out which people these places are attached to? Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ross PS: using Ubuntu 14.04 - Gramps pre-4.0.4 ppa
> I'd like to help but don't fully understand. How are your Event
> Descriptions set up? Mine are (mostly) by Tools=> Family Tree
> Processing=> Extract Event Description, so the References tab on a
> Place usually shows names of relevant people. What sorts of Events
> are you getting?
>
> Regards, Doug

Thanks Doug - that was enough of a clue :-)

Choosing a different place, there was a marriage event referenced.
Double clicking that there was a family referenced. Double clicking
that finds me some people!

Conclusion:
The places/events I was looking at are not attached to anyone. They
must have come in unattached during an import, or left behind after
deleting/merging someone.

So now I have to find the email/paper that I will have somewhere in my
collection that will allow me to finish this aborted merge/import. I
know I have seen those names somewhere!

Cheers,

Ross

On 04/06/14 20:42, Ross Gammon wrote:

> On 06/04/2014 07:22 PM, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> On 04/06/14 16:58, Ross Gammon wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I
>>> have researched. They have given me some names, dates and places.
>>> The names and places are very familiar, so they must be in the
>>> database (or still on paper) somewhere.
>>>
>>> Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering
>>> on the places gives me some hits.
>>>
>>> For each place, the references tab (at the bottom of the screen)
>>> gives me some references (Events - censuses in one particular
>>> case). Double clicking on the event opens the Census event, but
>>> this only gives me a source citation. Double clicking the source
>>> citation gives me the source, and all the events referencing this
>>> source.
>>>
>>> How can I find out which people these places are attached to? Any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Ross PS: using Ubuntu 14.04 - Gramps pre-4.0.4 ppa
>> I'd like to help but don't fully understand. How are your Event
>> Descriptions set up? Mine are (mostly) by Tools=> Family Tree
>> Processing=> Extract Event Description, so the References tab on a
>> Place usually shows names of relevant people. What sorts of Events
>> are you getting?
>>
>> Regards, Doug
>>

> Thanks Doug - that was enough of a clue :-)
>
> Choosing a different place, there was a marriage event referenced.
> Double clicking that there was a family referenced. Double clicking
> that finds me some people!
>
> Conclusion:
> The places/events I was looking at are not attached to anyone. They
> must have come in unattached during an import, or left behind after
> deleting/merging someone.
>
> So now I have to find the email/paper that I will have somewhere in my
> collection that will allow me to finish this aborted merge/import. I
> know I have seen those names somewhere!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ross

Surprised, but pleased it helped!

Cheers and good luck

Doug

Re: Finding Person by searching Places

Bob Dunford
i have the same problem i have my great grand father.john dunford born 1778 died 1837 at titchfied street liverpool,buried at st anthonys church liverpool lived as carter at 20 naylor street st marys parish liverpool where he owned his house stables and land for his carts,now we have almost his life where he lived,his wife martha,.born 1791 ,you would think with all this could find out more ,his birth,place,his wedding ,place .all his six children all baptised at st marys church liverpool,all this but cannot go any further ,i would like to ask why,from bob dunfordĀ

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Douglas Bainbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/06/14 20:42, Ross Gammon wrote:

> On 06/04/2014 07:22 PM, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
>> On 04/06/14 16:58, Ross Gammon wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I
>>> have researched. They have given me some names, dates and places.
>>> The names and places are very familiar, so they must be in the
>>> database (or still on paper) somewhere.
>>>
>>> Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering
>>> on the places gives me some hits.
>>>
>>> For each place, the references tab (at the bottom of the screen)
>>> gives me some references (Events - censuses in one particular
>>> case). Double clicking on the event opens the Census event, but
>>> this only gives me a source citation. Double clicking the source
>>> citation gives me the source, and all the events referencing this
>>> source.
>>>
>>> How can I find out which people these places are attached to? Any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Ross PS: using Ubuntu 14.04 - Gramps pre-4.0.4 ppa
>> I'd like to help but don't fully understand. How are your Event
>> Descriptions set up? Mine are (mostly) by Tools=> Family Tree
>> Processing=> Extract Event Description, so the References tab on a
>> Place usually shows names of relevant people. What sorts of Events
>> are you getting?
>>
>> Regards, Doug
>>

> Thanks Doug - that was enough of a clue :-)
>
> Choosing a different place, there was a marriage event referenced.
> Double clicking that there was a family referenced. Double clicking
> that finds me some people!
>
> Conclusion:
> The places/events I was looking at are not attached to anyone. They
> must have come in unattached during an import, or left behind after
> deleting/merging someone.
>
> So now I have to find the email/paper that I will have somewhere in my
> collection that will allow me to finish this aborted merge/import. I
> know I have seen those names somewhere!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ross

Surprised, but pleased it helped!

Cheers and good luck

Doug

Re: Finding Person by searching Places

paul womack
Ross Gammon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a query from someone potentially connected to a family I have
> researched. They have given me some names, dates and places. The names
> and places are very familiar, so they must be in the database (or still
> on paper) somewhere.
>
> Filtering on the names, does not find the people, but filtering on the
> places gives me some hits.

I had a similar request, a while back. The view/report you want can by synthesised
by using existing Gramps features in concert.

1) Make a named filter in the places view (I called mine "MyPlace",
and I routinely change what it actually does) that shows the place
or places you want.

2) Make an event filter in the event view (I called mine "@MyPlace");
this should be implemented as

General Filters -> Events of Places matching the <place filter> and select "MyPlace"
as the place filter.

3) Make (finally!!) a people filter in the people view (I called mine "@MyEvent");
this should be implemented as

General Filters -> Persons with events matching the <event filter> and select "@MyEvent"

Run the filter.

This gives a list of people who have events at your place(s).

Don't forget that views can be sorted by clicking the column headers, and also exported
for use in spreadsheets.

(this came from Douglas Bainbridge, to whom thanks)

  BugBear

paul womack wrote:
> this should be implemented as
>
> General Filters -> Persons with events matching the <event filter> and select "@MyEvent"