Finding all people who share an event

Jim Winfrey
The database I moved over to Gramps did not have a Witness capability
so I added a Witness event.  There are loads of these things.  How can
I do a search to locate everyone who has a Witness event so I can
change them?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Finding all people who share an event

Alex Roitman
Jim,

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 16:57 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> The database I moved over to Gramps did not have a Witness capability
> so I added a Witness event.  There are loads of these things.  How can
> I do a search to locate everyone who has a Witness event so I can
> change them?

You can create a custom filter with a single rule, to match
people with the "Witness" event. Here's how:
1. Select Tools->Utilities->Custom filter editor
   from GRAMPS menu
2. Click Add to add a new filter
3. In the Define filter dialog, enter name of this filter
   (e.g. WitnessEvent), comment if you like, then click Add
   to add a matching rule.
3. In the Add rule dialog, expand the Event filters node
   and then select "People with the personal <event>"
   entry. In the right pane, type or select your desired
   event type (Witness).
4. Click OK to close Add rule dialog. Click OK to close
   Define Filters dialog. Click Apply and close to close
   the Filter editor.

Now that you set this filter, you can use it in the People View.
For this, you need to display filter menu (View->Filter in
the GRAMPS menu) and then select your new filter from the Filter
menu and hit Apply. This will limit the list of people displayed
to only those matched by the filter. The new filter should be
found at the bottom of the menu, after all the presets.

Hope this helps,
Alex

P.S. Don't forget to set the filter menu back to Entire Database
and hit Apply when you are done. Otherwise the selected filter
will continue to be in effect and you will not see other people.

Also pressing Help button in the filter editor should take
you to the appropriate manual section, should you have problems.