First pass of the Database Manager checked in

First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Don Allingham
I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.

The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
the foreseeable future)

You can see a screenshot at
http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png

Don

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

bm-7
Don,

your changes mean I can't open databases or make new databases in the 2.3
branch:
95385: ERROR: __init__.py: line 1072: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/ViewManager.py", line 904, in
open_activate
    dialog = DbManager.DbManager()
  File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 88, in
__init__
    self.populate()
  File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 111, in
populate
    for dpath in os.listdir(DEFAULT_DIR):
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/benny/grampsdb'

and on cancel, and then new:
128766: ERROR: __init__.py: line 1072: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 189, in
new_db
    os.mkdir(new_path)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/benny/grampsdb/460a17bc'

Benny

Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
>
> The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> the foreseeable future)
>
> You can see a screenshot at
> http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
>
> Don

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

bm-7
Don,

as I said in a previous mail, I would be very careful with using terminology
other programs don't use.

Image you are a genealogist, not knowing databases, and you install
gramps. Will
you know how to proceed without reading the manual?

Even if terminology is more correct, it is of little use to people not knowing
this terminology.
If you change things to database nevertheless, I would suggest you also
get rid
of the 'file' menu. It can be 'Database' or 'Session' or 'Location'

Benny

Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:

> I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
>
> The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> the foreseeable future)
>
> You can see a screenshot at
> http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
>
> Don

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Don Allingham
Sorry. This should be fixed now.

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 09:25 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Don,
>
> your changes mean I can't open databases or make new databases in the 2.3
> branch:
> 95385: ERROR: __init__.py: line 1072: Unhandled exception
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/ViewManager.py", line 904, in
> open_activate
>     dialog = DbManager.DbManager()
>   File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 88, in
> __init__
>     self.populate()
>   File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 111, in
> populate
>     for dpath in os.listdir(DEFAULT_DIR):
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/benny/grampsdb'
>
> and on cancel, and then new:
> 128766: ERROR: __init__.py: line 1072: Unhandled exception
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/benny/programms/gramps/gramps23/src/DbManager.py", line 189, in
> new_db
>     os.mkdir(new_path)
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/benny/grampsdb/460a17bc'
>
> Benny
>
> Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> > and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
> >
> > The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> > and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> > you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> > if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> > another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> > the foreseeable future)
> >
> > You can see a screenshot at
> > http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
> >
> > Don

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Don Allingham
Well, that is the purpose of producing the prototype. We need feedback
to make things as clear as possible.

We had a discussion on the IRC channel the other night, and it was
thought that "Open" probably wasn't the clearest term, since there
wasn't a particular file to open.

This sounds like a good discussion for this list - what terminology
makes the most sense?

Don

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 09:40 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Don,
>
> as I said in a previous mail, I would be very careful with using terminology
> other programs don't use.
>
> Image you are a genealogist, not knowing databases, and you install
> gramps. Will
> you know how to proceed without reading the manual?
>
> Even if terminology is more correct, it is of little use to people not knowing
> this terminology.
> If you change things to database nevertheless, I would suggest you also
> get rid
> of the 'file' menu. It can be 'Database' or 'Session' or 'Location'
>
> Benny
>
> Quoting Don Allingham <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> > and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
> >
> > The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> > and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> > you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> > if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> > another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> > the foreseeable future)
> >
> > You can see a screenshot at
> > http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
> >
> > Don

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Stian Jordet-3
Don Allingham wrote:
> This sounds like a good discussion for this list - what terminology
> makes the most sense?

Load, perhaps?

-Stian

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Stefan Björk
>> This sounds like a good discussion for this list - what terminology
>> makes the most sense?
>>
> Load, perhaps?

Or simply 'use [database]'?

Stefan

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Brian Matherly
>> This sounds like a good discussion for this list - what terminology
>> makes the most sense?
>>
>Load, perhaps?
>
>-Stian

I was deciding between "Load" and "Connect". I liked "Connect" a little bit more, but I could go either way.

~Brian

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Martin Hawlisch
Hi Don,

I only had a quick look at the new code... guess what I found ;-)

But first: I like the idea of having centralized folders containing all files. A first impression on my slow computer at home makes me think this is running faster now. Probably because extenting multiple files is faster than extenting the one single database file.

Now back to the bugs.

1) The window title contains the cryptic name of the database folder. That should be the nice name I entered in the database manager.

2) If you keep pressing the [New] button in the database manager multiple entries of the same name "Unnamed Database" are created. They should probably be numbered.

3) Create a new database and connect to that. Now open the database manager again. It is possible to delete the currently opened database!
Strange... after having the database deleted I can for example still add a new person. Well, when closing first the backup complains about the missing database folder, then a Traceback.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/ViewManager.py", line 517, in quit
    self.state.db.close()
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/GrampsDb/_GrampsDBDir.py", line 1124, in cl ose
    self.env.close()
DBNoSuchFileError: (2, 'No such file or directory -- /home/martin/grampsdb/46095ba6/m eta_data.db: unable to flush: No such file or directory')
But that is to be expected when working on deleted files.

ok, next I created a new database again for more testing.

4) The Rebuild reference maps tool gives:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/PluginUtils/_Tool.py", line 254, in gui_tool
    tool_class(dbstate, uistate, options_class, name, callback)
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/plugins/RebuildRefMap.py", line 89, in __init__
    self.db.reindex_reference_map(self.update)
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/GrampsDb/_GrampsDBDir.py", line 915, in reindex_referenc e_map
    self.reference_map  = self.open_table(
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/GrampsDb/_GrampsDBDir.py", line 196, in open_table
    dbmap.open(fname, table_name, dbtype, self.open_flags(), 0666)
DBError: (20, 'Not a directory')

5) The rebuild secondary indices gives:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/PluginUtils/_Tool.py", line 254, in gui_tool
    tool_class(dbstate, uistate, options_class, name, callback)
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/plugins/Rebuild.py", line 88, in __init__
    self.db.rebuild_secondary(self.update)
  File "/home/martin/devel/gramps2_23/src/GrampsDb/_GrampsDBDir.py", line 678, in rebuild_secondar y
    env = db.DB(self.env)
AttributeError: DB

Cheers,
  Martin.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:18:27 -0600
Von: Don Allingham <[hidden email]>
An: GRAMPS Development mailing list <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [Gramps-devel] First pass of the Database Manager checked in

> I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
>
> The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> the foreseeable future)
>
> You can see a screenshot at
> http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
>
> Don

Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Kees Bakker
Op dinsdag 27 maart 2007 06:18, schreef Don Allingham:

> I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
>
> The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> the foreseeable future)
>
> You can see a screenshot at
> http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png

When I try the GEDCOM import a encounter a little problem. My GEDCOM is
using ANSEL encoding, that's fine. When I just select the default, that's
fine too. However, when I select ANSEL I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/gramps/DbLoader.py", line 500, in do_import
    importer(self.dbstate.db, filename, self.uistate.pulse_progressbar)
  File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_ReadGedcom.py", line 70, in importData
    import2(database, filename, callback, code_set, use_trans)
  File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_ReadGedcom.py", line 83, in import2
    gedparse = GedcomParser(database, ifile, filename, callback, np)
  File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_GedcomParse.py", line 867, in __init__
    enc = stage_one.get_encoding()
  File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_GedcomParse.py", line 317, in get_encoding
    return self.enc.upper()
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'upper'

This is because stage_one.set_encoding (_ReadGedcom.py line 80) is called with
number 1 instead of "ANSEL". You probably know best how to fix that.
--
Kees

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Kees Bakker
Op dinsdag 27 maart 2007 06:18, schreef Don Allingham:
> I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
[...]

In _WriteXML.py there is
   GrampsDbXmlWriter.__init__(self,version=const.version)

It's missing the 'db' and 'strip_photos' arguments of that __init__ call.
--
Kees

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Kees Bakker
Hi Don,

What do you suggest that I can try? In de 2.0 code this encoding field
(through get_active) was used as an integer value. In the new gramps
code is is assumed to be text.
1) change gedcomimport.glade and make this field a GtkMenu
2) change the Python code to translate 0..n into "default", "ANSEL", etc
I prefer the 1) choice because then the texts in the glade file are not
repeated in the Python code (plus the requirement of having the exact same
order). However, I'm not a Glade expert, and I wasn't able to make that
change.
--
Kees

Op dinsdag 27 maart 2007 22:06, schreef Kees Bakker:

> Op dinsdag 27 maart 2007 06:18, schreef Don Allingham:
> > I've checked in the first pass of the Database Manager in 2.3. The New
> > and Open buttons are now gone, replaced by the new "Databases" button.
> >
> > The database manager allows you to create databases, delete old ones,
> > and rename existing databases. You no longer "Open" a database - instead
> > you "Connect" to a database. This terminology will be more appropriate
> > if we ever go to a shared database scheme or to a database located on
> > another machine. (Don't get too excited - this is not planned anytime in
> > the foreseeable future)
> >
> > You can see a screenshot at
> > http://gramps-project.org/download/dbmanager.png
>
> When I try the GEDCOM import a encounter a little problem. My GEDCOM is
> using ANSEL encoding, that's fine. When I just select the default, that's
> fine too. However, when I select ANSEL I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/share/gramps/DbLoader.py", line 500, in do_import
>     importer(self.dbstate.db, filename, self.uistate.pulse_progressbar)
>   File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_ReadGedcom.py", line 70, in importData
>     import2(database, filename, callback, code_set, use_trans)
>   File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_ReadGedcom.py", line 83, in import2
>     gedparse = GedcomParser(database, ifile, filename, callback, np)
>   File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_GedcomParse.py", line 867, in __init__
>     enc = stage_one.get_encoding()
>   File "/usr/local/share/gramps/GrampsDbUtils/_GedcomParse.py", line 317, in get_encoding
>     return self.enc.upper()
> AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'upper'
>
> This is because stage_one.set_encoding (_ReadGedcom.py line 80) is called with
> number 1 instead of "ANSEL". You probably know best how to fix that.
> --
> Kees

Re: First pass of the Database Manager checked in

Don Allingham
Can you send me a copy of the gedcom that you are trying to load?

Don