First time user of Ubuntu & Gramps

williamjmaxam User
    I recently just started using Ubuntu & Gramps.   Please accept apologies up front for I know absolutely nothing about Linux.  Window user for years.  Setup the dual boot for Ubuntu and was so impressed that I wanted to give Gramps a try - Genealogy for years also.
    Gramps is a great program.   I have used many Windows genealogy programs and at present utilize Family Tree Legends.   Using any Genealogy programs in windows, I could just export the GEDCOM and Import the GEDCOM into any of the programs and the media files/photo path would also be included.   I was able to view the photos and have the correct description show.   i.e.  file name  xyz.jpg  description Aunt Agnes 1989.
     Gramps imports the GEDCOM - all the information is perfect except no photos show.  I believe it is because the path is on my C:/ drive.  The only way, that I was able to figure out, was to enter one photo at a time but in doing so just the file name shows and the description is lost.  Therefore with now 5 GB of photos it would be quite a task to transfer all these photos.  I have received a lot of helpful e-mails and have even tried Wine & Cross Over but neither will allow Family Tree Legends to run in Ubuntu.
     Would those that work on Gramps ever consider, if it is possible, that Gramps could somehow interpret from the imported GEDCOM that the media in on another OS drive and either allow the other OS drive to be read by Gramps or perhaps the option to automatically import the photos into the correct directory in Gramps keeping filename and file description intact?
     Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Re: First time user of Ubuntu & Gramps

Benny Malengier
There are some tools in GRAMPS to solve your problems.

FIrst, decide where your pictures will be kept, it is no problem if this is in windows, but you need to know the path to this.
So, if your windows drive automatically mounts in /media/windows, then the path to your pictures might be

/media/windows/Users/All/Documents\ and\ Settings/Geneapics\

or something like that.
Copy this location, and in GRAMPS, go to Edit/Preferences/General, and at the bottem paste the media path where your pictures are.

Now, if you want to reference a picture in gramps, just make sure the 'use relative path' checkbox is on.

So far so good, now suppose you have the picture
/media/windows/Users/All/Documents\ and\ Settings/Geneapics/people/me.jpg
in windows this was:
C:\Users\All\Documents\ and\ Settings\Geneapics\people\me.jpg
which is in your GEDCOM, and is stored in GRAMPS on import, except, GRAMPS does not find that picture.
So now you use the tool in the Tools/tools menu:Media manager. and use the possibility: Change part text in the path.
Use this to change
C:\Users\All\Documents\ and\ Settings\Geneapics into nothing
as well as changing other needed changes, like change all \ into /

So the picture above is now people/me.jpg, and GRAMPS should display and show it just fine.
As this is linux, you now can use gimp, krita, f-spot, digikam to do all kind of transformations on your pictures, see eg http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Improving_picture_quality

The media manager tool should solve all your problems. Before starting it, manually do a change to see how it looks like in the media view, this helps in understanding how the windows path must change in the media manager to obtain a standard unix path name

Benny

Note: all unix has dependance on capitalization in filenames, not sure with present windows. That could be an issue. The stupid long filenames hack I remember from windows 95 might also give some issues, not sure how present windows does that.

2009/1/23 <[hidden email]>
[...]

Duncan Lithgow-5
What Benny says is correct but...

Depending on how you have installed Ubuntu it is not certain that you
have access to C:/ drive. Ubuntu does not automatically assume that
you have the right to mount (connect to) C:/.

I'm afraid I don't know how to do the following without using the
command line so here goes:

Try typing the following in a cli (command line) window:

sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/windows

This will create a directory (MaKeDIRectory) and then (assuming you
have windows C: drive on the first partition of an ATA harddrive) make
C:/ available in the folder at /media/windows. If any of my
assumptions are wrong they won't do any harm, but whenever someone
tells you to start typing thing in a cli it's best to get a second
opinion.

Once You've worked out how to mount the C: drive we can look at how to
mount it automatically when you start up in Ubuntu.

Duncan

Re: First time user of Ubuntu & Gramps

Doug-11
Be reassured!
Once you've established how to get access to your C:/ drive, the rest is
easy.

Doug