Folder Structure & File Naming after reading up on the French way of Archiving PART 2

Folder Structure & File Naming after reading up on the French way of Archiving PART 2

meikamona
I am struggling to reason why I want my folder structure to show Repositories/sources/ when I am interested in people in the family and how they link to each other. I am happy that I record in gramps the repositories and sources for each item, but these are items of information about where the item came from or is stored, not the content of the item. If I want a picture or form pertaining to somebody, I don't want to have to start wondering in which repository folder it is stored.
Peter M.

Well, I intend to be sharing this information and structure with other relatives (file serving GRAMPS maybe) and hope to pass on the work down through time. I'm htinking about someone who isn't me accessing the system and working out how I organised things without being a mind reader, or clairvoyant. If no one but you ever sees it perhaps it will not matter.

In any case, I have found, using repositories at the top doesn't make me think too much where stuff is. A BDM registry does not contain too many photos. The google maps repository does not contain too many obituaries. For a fonds repository one can add subfolders for photos, certificates without breaking the description above. These subfolders don't break the system. Knowing where my electronic documents come from is increasingly vital. Particularly DNA.

How they connect is what GRAMPS is about, that's a story brought out of the data. The structure of the data need not reflect that story. There maybe other stories to be told. A structure that supports different and contested claims is a multitool, I like multitools.

Also I have a loathing of repeating work which should and could be done once. I also don't like re-inventing the wheel. I can avoid this if I use the best and/or conventional advice, in this case by organising documents by their repository, which people writing/researching history, even in the micro-history of genealogy, feel is a really good way to do it. I can create a more obvious _structured_ metadata look using pathways and filenames. And I'll repeat here that the filenames look very ugly on their own but in a folder the order becomes very apparent.

It's been a minor change to my early beginings as I was using a bibliographic referencing system to name files in any case. So from authority_date they were very similar to how they are now.

Even at that stage I was aware of pathway & file length issues, particularly with Windows. Windows also has had more forbidden characters for pathways and filenames. For my system to be successfully portable through time and platforms these factors should be included in pathway and filename design. We should learn this stuff at school now. I have had difficulties copying across platforms before, particularly FAT based Windows systems.

The best file name will concentrate information by using the same string to supporting different parsings. I.E. a multitool, the way a woomera can be a spear thrower (atlatl), a chisel and if carved, carry a story about where the water is, and you only have to carry one object across the deserts of time.

Relating to this are some pesky details I mentioned previously....

Besides the usual reserved special use characters common in directory systems:

/

\

.

there is for Windows, more to avoid, (And a host of forbidden strings.):

 < (less than)

> (greater than)

: (colon)

" (double quote)

/ (forward slash)

\ (backslash)

| (vertical bar or pipe)

? (question mark)

* (asterisk) [and I wanted to use this for primary Authorities that were also subjects :( see below ]

So keeping that in mind.... & removing white space to reduce length of strings...

KEY for MetaSource_DATE_DataPoints

CAPITALS indicates variable.

CamelCase indicates literal terms in the naming schema. E.G. describing what’s in the file…

GID = "GRAMPS ID" number for person, place, event etc.... if in GRAMPS family tree system for naming a record. Optional, for clarity.

Element separators-connectors

“-”or hyphen indicates suffixing info (e.g.for a GID to a name:-- NAME-I003 )

“_” or underscore indicates start of a new descriptor/element ( LASTNAMEFirstname-I003_2017-02-17)

The following prefixes if needed as follows:

“!” exclamation mark a prefix which marks a person as primary (e.g. where several authorities are listed but one is also !primary subject)

 REPOSITORY_!LASTNAME1Firstname-I003_Lastname2Firstname_2017-02-17_ ...

“~” tilde is an original type prefix, (e.g. for photo of a scan of a ~map that the file is)

 REPOSITORY_RoadAtlasOfHeaven_LASTNAME1Firstname-I003__2017-02-17_PearlyGates~photo_scan

“`” tick for primary date of SOURCE ( I haven't used this one yet

NOTE: File type extensions (i.e. .txt .jpg .odt .docx .pdf) not included in descriptions below. Obviously they are another type of DataPoint

cheers meika