Quantcast

Font problem Windows 7

Gerrit
Hello,

I’ve recently started using Gramps again, and I really like the
software. I stumbled across one minor bug though:

The default font used under Windows 7 (I don’t know under Linux or Mac)
does not display every unicode character.  I’ve taken a screenshot to
illustrate the problem:

http://www.abload.de/img/grampsfontproblemf4ucj.jpg
(Sorry that it is in German, but I guess you know the window)

I want to insert the fictional person Yoshihiko Noda (well, actually it
is the current Japanese prime minister) in Japanese characters (there he
is written 野 田 佳彦).
I can use Japanese without problems, because Gramps is luckily Unicode
based. But the font doesn’t display the Japanese characters in every
field. As you can see, in some fields it works, but in the text input
fields, I just get this bracket with 0000 in it.
This fallback characters are displayed virtually everywhere (the only
_exception_ is actually the field in the window I’ve uploaded), so that
in practice, I cannot use gramps with Japanese characters.

I did not find any option for a font setup, so it seems I have no way to
make this better. Wouldn’t it be possible to use the default Windows
font and the fallback options? So that gramps behaves the same as other
Windows applications when entering non-latin text?

I hope that this bug can be solved in some future version. I cannot
program, so it is very hard for me to fix this bug myself :(

But thanks for the really great software!

Gerrit

Re: Font problem Windows 7

Benny Malengier
Gerrit,

I don't use windows, so have no idea how to fix your win7 problem.
I put the devel list in cc, which is the correct place to ask development questions. You can also post to gramps-users for user questions

Please post a bug also on http://bugs.gramps-project.org/ for this problem

Benny

2012/5/20 Gerrit <[hidden email]>
[...]

Josip-3
On 21.05.2012 13:57, Benny Malengier wrote:

>> The default font used under Windows 7 (I don’t know under Linux or Mac)
>> does not display every unicode character.  I’ve taken a screenshot to
>> illustrate the problem:
>>
>> http://www.abload.de/img/grampsfontproblemf4ucj.jpg
>> (Sorry that it is in German, but I guess you know the window)
>>
>> I want to insert the fictional person Yoshihiko Noda (well, actually it
>> is the current Japanese prime minister) in Japanese characters (there he
>> is written 野 田 佳彦).
>> I can use Japanese without problems, because Gramps is luckily Unicode
>> based. But the font doesn’t display the Japanese characters in every
>> field. As you can see, in some fields it works, but in the text input
>> fields, I just get this bracket with 0000 in it.
>> This fallback characters are displayed virtually everywhere (the only
>> _exception_ is actually the field in the window I’ve uploaded), so that
>> in practice, I cannot use gramps with Japanese characters.
>>
>> I did not find any option for a font setup, so it seems I have no way to
>> make this better. Wouldn’t it be possible to use the default Windows
>> font and the fallback options? So that gramps behaves the same as other
>> Windows applications when entering non-latin text?

To change font Gramps uses change gtkrc file, to change fallback fonts
make changes to pango.aliases file.
For first one you can use gtk2_prefs or similar gtk theme switcher.

--
Josip

Re: Font problem Windows 7

choganj
I'll suggest you to choose advanced language settings during installation of your Os to view Japaneses language properly. If you did not choose that, then you can always install some language packs from Microsoft to view Japanese properly.

You can also view http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-display-japanese-characters for more information.

I hope it would be of some help.