Form Addon

Kurt Caulley
Is there a way to have "definition_files =" in form.py to search any file that ends with .xml that is in the Form directory?
There are 4 test.xml file on the Form Testing web site. Some one may not know how to merge these file to create 1 file. If this could be done it would allow the files to be given unique names.

Re: Form Addon

Nick Hall
On 02/12/16 16:33, CurtD wrote:
> Is there a way to have "definition_files =" in form.py to search any file
> that ends with .xml that is in the Form directory?

You could modify the code to search for xml files using glob.

> There are 4 test.xml file on the Form Testing web site. Some one may not
> know how to merge these file to create 1 file. If this could be done it
> would allow the files to be given unique names.

Definitions are also loaded from test.xml and custom.xml files if they
exist.

Re: Form Addon

paul womack
CurtD wrote:
> Is there a way to have "definition_files =" in form.py to search any file
> that ends with .xml that is in the Form directory?
> There are 4 test.xml file on the Form Testing web site. Some one may not
> know how to merge these file to create 1 file. If this could be done it
> would allow the files to be given unique names.

I think anyone knowledgeable enough to create
such a file is more than likely to be able to merge them.

  BugBear

Re: Form Addon

Kurt Caulley
paul womack wrote:
>I think anyone knowledgeable enough to create
>such a file is more than likely to be able to merge them.

So what you are saying is if you can't create such a file or you can't develop Gramps
you should not use them?

Re: Form Addon

Michel Vuijlsteke
I'm trying to wrap my head around the forms gramplet at the moment. I have to admit I'm having a hard time seeing a very clear use case for anything beyond census information right now, but maybe I'll get to it.

In general, I imagine it would probably be a good idea to have a central repository for definitions, where users could then choose templates without having to worry about how those definitions are physically stored on their computers.

Instead of having to link a template to a source by adding a 'Form' attribute with the form's ID in an XML file, you could have a "Link form template" button that would allow you to choose a template, or something.

I'm not sure that's on the books in the short term, though.

On 2 December 2016 at 19:48, CurtD <[hidden email]> wrote:
paul womack wrote:
>I think anyone knowledgeable enough to create
>such a file is more than likely to be able to merge them.

So what you are saying is if you can't create such a file or you can't
develop Gramps
you should not use them?

Re: Form Addon

Rich Lakey
I've been working on combining all the test forms into one super form.xml with an index showing the order. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Will see. The index will allow me to see what forms I have. I am also going to standardize some names. Such as US state census will start with US, such as USKS1885. I find some have it some do not. Also rearrange the forms in alphabetical order. I have about 140 so far and just the tip of the iceburg. Question, will having forms I will never need be a performance issue? But will I never need them? Never know.
Besides census, I am looking at Death Certificates next. Each US states seems different and probably each state has changed there form a gazillion times. I think the best that might be hoped for is a generic for each state that would only need minor changing in the attributes later. The beauty of the form gramplet is it gives consistency in tying the document/media/source/citation together. But again maybe I know nothing of what I speak.
Rich

 On Dec 02, 2016, Rich Lakey wrote:

>I've been working on combining all the test forms into one super form.xml with an index showing the
> order. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Will see. The index will allow me to see what forms
> I have.

I did it the other way around and separated them by continent to make it easer to find the individual
census for that area.

>I am also going to standardize some names. Such as US state census will start with US, such as
> USKS1885.

Changing the census code will require users to correct their attributes of each state census they used or they won't appear in the bottom bar when you select Forms..

All of the state census codes listed on the Form Definitions web site (https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Form_Definitions) are all  the 2 digit state code?

> Also rearrange the forms in alphabetical order. I have about 140 so far and just the tip of the iceburg.
> Question, will having forms I will never need be a performance issue? But will I never need them?
> Never know.

Nick may be able to answer the performance question.

> Besides census, I am looking at Death Certificates next. Each US states seems different and
> probably each state has changed there form a gazillion times. I think the best that might be hoped for
> is a generic for each state that would only need minor changing in the attributes later.

There is a hole list of forms that would be nice to have. Birth Records, Birth Certificate, Correction of birth record, Marriage Record, Marriage Certificate, and the list goes on and on.
David McMurray already has some of these.

> The beauty of the form gramplet is it gives consistency in tying the document/media/source/citation
> together. But again maybe I know nothing of what I speak.

IMHO Nick Hall has created the most useful addons to Gramps for data entry. Now all we need is to find a way to get some sort of quality control before they get out in the wild.

Re: Form Addon

Rich Lakey
Thanks for your reply. Since I contribute very little I had hoped this was an area I could perform a monotonous task and provide some order. But it isn't as simple as it seems.
This brings me to several questions.
1. What is the preferred XML editor in Linux?
2. Is there a way to reformat the indentation to get conformity in my file?
    I tried Tidy and it created a bigger problem than I had.
3. I understand your comment about the state codes. But that creates three more questions.
  a. If a form disappears or is renamed, that should not alter data that is already entered in that events attribute? So it is not as though the data       will disappear if the form is renamed. Is that correct?
 b.    If SC represents Scotland, how do we represent South Carolina? If CA represents Canada, how do we represent California? I still think the first two characters should represent a country and if necessary a second two characters to represent a subdivision such as a state. USSC1880 would be for US South Carolina. But I am not going to go that route without a blessing. I only have 4 state census records added so far so the damage is minimal.
 c. And what does the word "Form" represent when I enter the attribute for a source? Is that the name of the XML file? i.e. Form.XML? Or the name of the individual descriptor for the record in the form.xml .  I am wondering if multiple form.xml files could exist such as formus.xml, formca.xml
So many questions,
Rich

On 03/12/16 15:23, Rich wrote:
> This brings me to several questions.
> 1. What is the preferred XML editor in Linux?

I just use a text editor.

> 2. Is there a way to reformat the indentation to get conformity in my
> file?
>     I tried Tidy and it created a bigger problem than I had.
> 3. I understand your comment about the state codes. But that creates
> three more questions.
>   a. If a form disappears or is renamed, that should not alter data
> that is already entered in that events attribute? So it is not as
> though the data       will disappear if the form is renamed. Is that
> correct?

The data will not be removed.  You will still be able to edit it with
the standard Gramps editors.  The problem is that it will no longer be
recognised as a form.

>  b.    If SC represents Scotland, how do we represent South Carolina?
> If CA represents Canada, how do we represent California? I still think
> the first two characters should represent a country and if necessary a
> second two characters to represent a subdivision such as a state.
> USSC1880 would be for US South Carolina. But I am not going to go that
> route without a blessing. I only have 4 state census records added so
> far so the damage is minimal.

That is a sensible suggestion.  We could write a tool to convert
existing codes.

>  c. And what does the word "Form" represent when I enter the attribute
> for a source? Is that the name of the XML file? i.e. Form.XML? Or the
> name of the individual descriptor for the record in the form.xml .  I
> am wondering if multiple form.xml files could exist such as
> formus.xml, formca.xml

It is just a mechanism for associating a source with a form.  I could
have chosen any attribute key.

Re: Form Addon

On 02/12/16 22:51, Rich wrote:
> I have about 140 so far and just the tip of the iceburg. Question,
> will having forms I will never need be a performance issue?

I don't think you will notice any performance problems.  All definitions
are read into python data structures.

Re: Form Addon

Kurt Caulley
On 12/03/2016 09:23 AM, Rich wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Since I contribute very little I had hoped this was an area I could perform a
> monotonous task and provide some order. But it isn't as simple as it seems.

 A monotonous task broken into parts becomes simple tasks and order prevails, Unless you give up.

> This brings me to several questions.
> 1. What is the preferred XML editor in Linux?
> 2. Is there a way to reformat the indentation to get conformity in my file?
>    I tried Tidy and it created a bigger problem than I had.

About any text editors works. Preferred editor, no idea. I use Bluefish Editor I think its in most Linux
distributions software managers and is a multi-platform application.

> 3. I understand your comment about the state codes. But that creates three more questions.
>   a. If a form disappears or is renamed, that should not alter data that is already entered in that events
>       attribute? So it is not as though the data will disappear if the form is renamed. Is that correct?

That is correct. Once the data has been entered and saved it is there until manually removed.

>   b. If SC represents Scotland, how do we represent South Carolina? If CA represents Canada, how
>     do we represent California? I still think the first two characters should represent a country and if
>     necessary a second two characters to represent a subdivision such as a state. USSC1880 would
>     be for US South Carolina. But I am not going to go that route without a blessing. I only have 4 state
>     census records added so far so the damage is minimal.

At his point I think we need to get a few other people involved if we can. Ben Pritchard, Simon
Tremblay, and David McMurray have written definitions. I'll email them to see if they would like to get
evolved. Maybe Paul Womack and Nick Hall can help out or have some ideas.

>  c. And what does the word "Form" represent when I enter the attribute for a source? Is that the name
>   of the XML file? i.e. Form.XML? Or the name of the individual descriptor for the record in the
>   form.xml .

This is a question that Nick can answer better than I. As I know nothing about programming and how it
interacts with the software.

>   I am wondering if multiple form.xml files could exist such as formus.xml, formca.xml

This brings us back to the original question, "Is there a way to have definition files search any file
that ends with .xml that is in the Form directory? "

I know that you can add file names in "form.py" but I have no idea how it really affects performance
and it's not an option for those that are squeamish about tinkering in the program. I have done it a few
times to check my work.

Re: Form Addon

John Paton
I have been 'playing' with my Family Tree for a long time - not that I
have a lot of data, just that is an occasional hobby (sorry to all you
serious researchers out there).

For a few years I had to dual boot Windows and Linux so that I had
software to help - then I found GRAMPS and could dump Windows. Great
software - my heartfelt thanks to those dedicated people who do the
development.

Because of the way I had worked with gramps over the years my database
was untidy so recently I decided to re-enter all of the data I had in a
consistent, tidy manner - I did say I didn't have a big database.

I upgraded to version 4.2.3 and also discovered the Forms addon. I can
understand that, if you already have a database of tens of thousands of
people, then the Forms addon may not seem useful to you but for anyone
starting out on genealogy or like me doing a re-entry exercise, this
addon is the best.

I have written (or modified) form definitions to match the entries in
the Birth, Marriage and Death Register and Census entries held by the
National Records of Scotland and I do *ALL* of my input with the Forms
addon. Not only does it make my data entry consistent but the ability to
view the data as a form at a later date is useful too. (Might be nice to
have a 'View' button as well as 'New' and 'Edit'.)

The Forms addon is not perfect but it comes very close. Many thanks to
Nick Hall for it.

John Paton

Re: Form Addon

Rich Lakey
I have completed merging the test.xml files at https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Form_Testing
I've been doing some testing today. I ended up leaving the form.xml file alone as it shipped with the system and created a custom.xml with the test forms.
It has been an interesting experience. I've learned abit that you XML guru's already know. But I though I would share a bit.
I am on a linux machine so I'm not sure how much applies to Windows.
First, most any editor seems to works well. I have used Bluefish for a web site so I tried that. One problem I had was all the different indenting in the test forms and some I caused.  I tried installing the Tidy filter and it only messed up my file.
I settled on using Gedit for most of my work. Then using XML Copy Editor to find typo's. Trust me,  it doesn't find them all. and then running XMLLINT to get the indentation right.  Xmllint installs as part of the Libxml2-utils package. Its default indentation is 2. I wanted 4. It took a while to figure out how to set my indentation preference. CD to the directory your input xml file is in and Run XMLLINT from the command line as:
 XMLLINT_INDENT='    ' xmllint --format --recover customunformated.xml > custom.xml
the spaces after INDENT= determine the number of spaces to indent.  customunformated.xml is the input file, custom.xml is the output file.
After I got this all done I tried it and could not access any form. What did I expect with my typing and eyesight. Not only didn't the custom.xml file work but the form.xml did not work either. By a series of elimination I found the whole thing did not work because when I converted a form from the census gramplet to the form gramplet I typed the word type in the form with a capitol T. But that was enough to kill all the forms.
I guess my point is I wonder what the plans are to provide more census forms to the gramps user without the need for them to even know they are created in XML.  I guess that is what I am trying to do, have a custom.xml that the user just needs to copy to the right library. I would like to help but not sure of the direction I need to go. But is that the right direction? I don't know. I thought it might be nice to update form.xml just like the gramlet themselves are updated.  But this would mean the user could not have personally created forms in the form.xml.
I would like to be able to help  if there is something I can do. I really don't know XML, just copy what I see done in other forms.
Rich

On 04/12/16 23:38, Rich wrote:

> I guess my point is I wonder what the plans are to provide more census
> forms to the gramps user without the need for them to even know they
> are created in XML.  I guess that is what I am trying to do, have a
> custom.xml that the user just needs to copy to the right library. I
> would like to help but not sure of the direction I need to go. But is
> that the right direction? I don't know. I thought it might be nice to
> update form.xml just like the gramlet themselves are updated.  But
> this would mean the user could not have personally created forms in
> the form.xml.
> I would like to be able to help  if there is something I can do. I
> really don't know XML, just copy what I see done in other forms.

I would like a maintainer for each country.  Any volunteers?

We could then split the definition file into country specific files.

Re: Form Addon

Rich Lakey
I would like to participate. But I have concerns. The Unites States is the only country I would feel comfortable with. An even though the federal census is pretty much done for the US, there is still the state census data, State specific birth, death and marriage forms. That is quite an undertaking. What would the job of the maintainer be, to write these forms or gather them from others? Would doing just 1 or 2 states to start with be an option?
Rich

On 12/05/2016 04:37 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 04/12/16 23:38, Rich wrote:
I guess my point is I wonder what the plans are to provide more census
forms to the gramps user without the need for them to even know they
are created in XML.  I guess that is what I am trying to do, have a
custom.xml that the user just needs to copy to the right library. I
would like to help but not sure of the direction I need to go. But is
that the right direction? I don't know. I thought it might be nice to
update form.xml just like the gramlet themselves are updated.  But
this would mean the user could not have personally created forms in
the form.xml.
I would like to be able to help  if there is something I can do. I
really don't know XML, just copy what I see done in other forms.
I would like a maintainer for each country.  Any volunteers?

We could then split the definition file into country specific files.

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Form Addon

Kurt Caulley
On 12/05/2016 04:37 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> I would like a maintainer for each country.  Any volunteers?

> We could then split the definition file into country specific files.

Nick.

Splitting the definitions files into country specific files sounds like a great idea. I can assist  Rich with
the U.S.  But just like Rich I have no idea what a maintainer does. I'm willing to learn.

Kurt

Re: Form Addon

Nick Hall
On 06/12/16 12:54, CurtD wrote:
> Splitting the definitions files into country specific files sounds like a
> great idea. I can assist  Rich with
> the U.S.  But just like Rich I have no idea what a maintainer does. I'm
> willing to learn.

A maintainer would check submitted definitions and add them to the main
definition file.  This would involve testing the definition, checking it
for mistakes and making sure it uses consistent attributes.

There would be no obligation to write new definitions.

I haven't got time to check definitions outside the UK myself.

Re: Form Addon

Simon C. Tremblay
My involvement so far was minimal.  I created the missing file for the 1921 Canadian Census and converted it for the form addon, but if your looking for a volunteer to maintain the Canadian file, I could do it, based on what Nick just described below.  Right now my needs do not go beyond the Censii (Censuses?) so I would not create new definitions, but I don't mind testing them and merging them after in the main Canadian file.

If we want some consistency, all maintainers should agree on some common naming convention and versioning system.

Also, a way to be notified when users submit new definitions to be added?

As for XML editing tools, on Windows I use Notepad++ which does syntax highlighting and indentation.  There is also Microsoft Visual Studio Code, which is free, open source and available on Windows, Linux and Mac.

Simon

On 6 December 2016 at 08:38, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

A maintainer would check submitted definitions and add them to the main
definition file.  This would involve testing the definition, checking it
for mistakes and making sure it uses consistent attributes.

There would be no obligation to write new definitions.

I haven't got time to check definitions outside the UK myself.

Re: Form Addon

David L McMurray
Kurt,

Sorry for the late reply. Seems the living are getting in the way of the
deceased.

Yes, I'm interested, but I can't devote a lot of time right now. I'll be
catching up in the next few days on your thread.

Dave