Form gramplet, multiple sections

Philip Weiss
Can I define multiple sections of type 'multi' for a form, or will that break the gramplet?

I am trying to figure out how to accommodate multiple forms for a single census, ala the 1940 US census, where some people had extra questions. Or the 1921 Canada Census, which appears to have at least two forms, with A being used in some locations, and B being used in others.

Phil.

Re: Form gramplet, multiple sections

Nick Hall
On 30/03/16 07:23, Philip Weiss wrote:
> Can I define multiple sections of type 'multi' for a form, or will
> that break the gramplet?
>
> I am trying to figure out how to accommodate multiple forms for a
> single census, ala the 1940 US census, where some people had extra
> questions. Or the 1921 Canada Census, which appears to have at least
> two forms, with A being used in some locations, and B being used in
> others.

Yes, but each section must have a different role. This is probably not
what you want.

I suggest that you write two census definitions for 1921 Canada. This is
similar to the 1861 census.

For the 1940 US census, add the extra columns for everyone.  Just leave
them empty when not applicable.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 6:13 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30/03/16 07:23, Philip Weiss wrote:
> Can I define multiple sections of type 'multi' for a form, or will
> that break the gramplet?
>
> I am trying to figure out how to accommodate multiple forms for a
> single census, ala the 1940 US census, where some people had extra
> questions. Or the 1921 Canada Census, which appears to have at least
> two forms, with A being used in some locations, and B being used in
> others.

Yes, but each section must have a different role. This is probably not
what you want.

I suggest that you write two census definitions for 1921 Canada. This is
similar to the 1861 census.

I'd really rather not have to have two different sources though.  Can I add two different form attributes to a single source?

Just trying to figure out what my options are.

Phil.

Re: Form gramplet, multiple sections

Simon C. Tremblay
If this can help, I did convert the CA1921 Census template to the new form template.  It is compatible with the census one in that information entered in the census gramplet are properly displayed in the new form gramplet.

I'll upload it to the template testing wiki page when I get home tonight.

Simon

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Simon C. Tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
If this can help, I did convert the CA1921 Census template to the new form template.  It is compatible with the census one in that information entered in the census gramplet are properly displayed in the new form gramplet.

I'll upload it to the template testing wiki page when I get home tonight.

Simon

Form A. Form B, or the form for the territories?  Or did you manage to combine them?

Philip.

Re: Form gramplet, multiple sections

Simon C. Tremblay
It's titled "Schedule 1". I didn't notice at the time, but it's Form B, just like the sample shown here http://www.bcgs.ca/?tag=1921-canada-census#.VvwRzuLhC7C

I also referenced the "1921 Canada census enumerators’ instructions" on the same page when compiling the initial census definition that I uploaded here https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Census_Testing#Definitions.

I checked all the scans I have (only 3 so far) and they are all of that type.

Simon

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Simon C. Tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Since it appears that the differences between form A and form B are related only to question 4, I am going to try a version with the one question from form B and the 4 from form A all in there.  And then label them as "4. Parish (Form B)" and "4a. Section (Form A)" and the like.  I think most of my uses will be for form A, which has 4 short questions for section, township, range, and meridian, instead of parish.  It appears to be the one used in the prairie provinces, which is where my relatives were.

By the way, if someone knows the precise rules for where Form A and Form B were used, I would appreciate it.  Ancestry says only that the forms used in the prairie provinces were different, and that's pretty much the only statement I can find on the matter.

Phil.

Re: Form gramplet, multiple sections

Simon C. Tremblay
I've uploaded to the census testing page my version of CA1921 Schedule 1, Form B. Mine are all Bs and are all from Quebec and Ontario.

I had a quick look at the 1921 census page on the BCGS site and did not find anything related to where form A was used vs form B.  Maybe you could ask them the question.

Simon