Formatting (tweaking) a Family Descendant Tree

Formatting (tweaking) a Family Descendant Tree

Dona Mommsen-Ghosh
Hi,

For our family reunions, we used to hang up a Chart : Family Descendant Tree.

Up to now I created one large PDF and printed it with Acrobat as a Poster. As our family is growing and the generations are adding, the number of pages jumped to 40, which is no longer doable.

However, we are loosing a lot of space because a few family members have very long names, and the longest name determines the size of the box for all individuals.
Is there a way to limit the with of the box and to create a wrap on 2 lines for longer names (resulting in a few boxes being higher than the others)?

Moreover, the font is tiny compared to the white space around the text in the box.
Is there a way to increase the font size within the same box (i.e. reducing the distance between text and box)?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dona

Re: Formatting (tweaking) a Family Descendant Tree

Ron Johnson
On 11/26/2017 03:10 PM, Dona Mommsen-Ghosh wrote:

> Hi,
>

> For our family reunions, we used to hang up a Chart : Family Descendant Tree.
>
> Up to now I created one large PDF and printed it with Acrobat as a Poster. As our family is growing and the generations are adding, the number of pages jumped to 40, which is no longer doable.
>
> However, we are loosing a lot of space because a few family members have very long names, and the longest name determines the size of the box for all individuals.
> Is there a way to limit the with of the box and to create a wrap on 2 lines for longer names (resulting in a few boxes being higher than the others)?
>
> Moreover, the font is tiny compared to the white space around the text in the box.
> Is there a way to increase the font size within the same box (i.e. reducing the distance between text and box)?

There are online companies that will pretty print genealogy trees based on
GEDCOM files.  I'd check out one of those services.

Re: Formatting (tweaking) a Family Descendant Tree

Dona Mommsen-Ghosh
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion of a print service, but I live in France, and that stuff costs a fortune around here. Moreover, I’m on a tight schedule, the family reunion being on Saturday ;-)

Thus, I’m still wondering if there is a way of tweaking the Family Descendant Chart if possible.

Cheers,

Dona