Forms Add On Creation/Modification

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

Using Version 5.0 on Windows and Ubuntu

I am trying to create some new/modified forms for my own benefit and I
am hitting a snag I want to use the longname function which is supposed
to create a tooltip but so far have singularly failed, code used is as
follows
<column>
<_attribute>Name</_attribute>
<_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
</column>

So it maybe the code or alternatively my understanding of how the
tooltip is meant to display

Thanks

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All
Follow up to this tried a test using the USIA1905 form which uses the
longname function and cannot get tooltip on that either

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/11/2018 16:25, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Using Version 5.0 on Windows and Ubuntu
>
> I am trying to create some new/modified forms for my own benefit and I
> am hitting a snag I want to use the longname function which is supposed
> to create a tooltip but so far have singularly failed, code used is as
> follows
> <column>
> <_attribute>Name</_attribute>
> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
> </column>
>
> So it maybe the code or alternatively my understanding of how the
> tooltip is meant to display
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Kurt Caulley
I'm adding long names to the U.S. Census and it is working on Gramps 5.X and
Linux Mint. The only thing I see different is I don't use the size. I think
that was meant for printing hard copies. You also have </column> twice at
the end.

It should look like this and it should work.
<column>
<_attribute>Sex</_attribute>
<_longname>(5) Sex</_longname>
</column>

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Hi Kurt

Firstly an apology, the second </column> is not in my code must be a
copy and paste error.

I have tried with and without size (which was taken from the wiki) I
have tried untouched US Census and still no tooltip
I am using a custom.xml for my development
There are no tooltips appearing other than those for place in the header
part of the form

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 27/11/2018 19:29, GeNBooks wrote:

> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM
> *From:* "phil wharram via Gramps-users" <[hidden email]>
> *To:* "Gramps - User List" <[hidden email]>
> *Subject:* Re: [Gramps-users] Forms Add On Creation/Modification
> I'm adding long names to the U.S. Census and it is working on Gramps 5.X and
> Linux Mint. The only thing I see different is I don't use the size. I think that
> was meant for printing hard copies. You also have </column> twice at the end.
> It should look like this and it should work.
> <column>
> <_attribute>Sex</_attribute>
> <_longname>(5) Sex</_longname>
> </column>
> Kurt
>
> Hi All
> Follow up to this tried a test using the USIA1905 form which uses the
> longname function and cannot get tooltip on that either
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 27/11/2018 16:25, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>   >
>   >
>   > Hi All
>   >
>   > Using Version 5.0 on Windows and Ubuntu
>   >
>   > I am trying to create some new/modified forms for my own benefit and I
>   > am hitting a snag I want to use the longname function which is supposed
>   > to create a tooltip but so far have singularly failed, code used is as
>   > follows
>   > <column>
>   > <_attribute>Name</_attribute>
>   > <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
>   > *</column>*
>   >
>   > So it maybe the code or alternatively my understanding of how the
>   > tooltip is meant to display
>   >
>   > Thanks
>   >
>   > Regards
>   > Phil
>   > MLFHS 12583
>   > Dumfries
>   >
>   >
>   > _______________________________________________
>   > Gramps-users mailing list
>   > [hidden email]
>   > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>   > https://gramps-project.org
>   >

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:59:35 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>I am using a custom.xml for my development

It might help if you put your code *in its entirety* online somewhere
(pastebin or similar).  Then, sympathetic parties can download and
examine the code for any problems.

--
 Regards  _
I can't relax 'cause I haven't done a thing

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 20:30:16 +0000
Phil Wharram <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Phil,

>I will investigate further

In that case;  You should know that the tooltip only appears when you
hover the mouse over a data entry box and not the column title.

--
 Regards  _
I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Hi Brad

Found it

<section role="Primary" type="person" title="person">
        <column>
                <_attribute>Name</_attribute>
                <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
        </column>
        <column>
                <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
                <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
        </column>
</section>

if type is person tooltip does not work if set to multi it does work
not sure why USCensus would not work will look at that later
will noe play around with size attribute

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/11/2018 20:19, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:59:35 +0000
> phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello phil,
>
>> I am using a custom.xml for my development
>
> It might help if you put your code *in its entirety* online somewhere
> (pastebin or similar).  Then, sympathetic parties can download and
> examine the code for any problems.

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:27:04 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>Found it

Good news.  Thanks for letting us know - saves us (i.e. me) trying to
debug this later.

>if type is person tooltip does not work if set to multi it does work
>not sure why USCensus would not work will look at that later

It does here.  That said, I do recall an update to the Forms Gramplet a
while ago.  IDK what was updated but it can't hurt to update if you
haven't already.

--
 Regards  _
The public gets what the public wants

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Brad

Updated to vers 2.0.13 still the same problem do you want me to create a
bug report

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/11/2018 21:43, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:27:04 +0000
> phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello phil,
>
>> Found it
>
> Good news.  Thanks for letting us know - saves us (i.e. me) trying to
> debug this later.
>
>> if type is person tooltip does not work if set to multi it does work
>> not sure why USCensus would not work will look at that later
>
> It does here.  That said, I do recall an update to the Forms Gramplet a
> while ago.  IDK what was updated but it can't hurt to update if you
> haven't already.

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Rich Lakey
How do I tell what version of the Form Gramplet I have? I have Gramps
4.2.8  Just upgraded my OS and after a couple of weeks plan to upgrade to V5

Rich

On 11/27/18 4:04 PM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi Brad
>
> Updated to vers 2.0.13 still the same problem do you want me to create
> a bug report
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 27/11/2018 21:43, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 21:27:04 +0000
>> phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello phil,
>>
>>> Found it
>>
>> Good news.  Thanks for letting us know - saves us (i.e. me) trying to
>> debug this later.
>>
>>> if type is person tooltip does not work if set to multi it does work
>>> not sure why USCensus would not work will look at that later
>>
>> It does here.  That said, I do recall an update to the Forms Gramplet a
>> while ago.  IDK what was updated but it can't hurt to update if you
>> haven't already.

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:04:00 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>Updated to vers 2.0.13 still the same problem do you want me to create

Oops:  It looks like I've given you the impression I'm involved with
writing the Form Gramplet:  I'm not.  My apologies to you, and the
person(s) actually responsible for it.  All I meant about debugging was
that I would find it difficult (read: near impossible) and you saved me
that effort.

>a bug report

At this stage, since I'm using the same version, and I see the tooltips,
it might be that that issue is with something local to you - DE theme
settings, or some such thing.

--
 Regards  _
Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Brad

No I keep in mind the 2 signs I had above my desk whilst still working
namely
ASS-U-ME and KISS.
I have been playing with this over the last few days and will write a
detailed note separately to see what the developers think

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 28/11/2018 08:27, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 22:04:00 +0000
> phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello phil,
>
>> Updated to vers 2.0.13 still the same problem do you want me to create
>
> Oops:  It looks like I've given you the impression I'm involved with
> writing the Form Gramplet:  I'm not.  My apologies to you, and the
> person(s) actually responsible for it.  All I meant about debugging was
> that I would find it difficult (read: near impossible) and you saved me
> that effort.
>
>> a bug report
>
> At this stage, since I'm using the same version, and I see the tooltips,
> it might be that that issue is with something local to you - DE theme
> settings, or some such thing.

Re: Forms Add On Creation/Modification

Kurt Caulley
Hi Phil

Please consider sharing your new forms as others may find them useful. They
can be added to the Form Testing page.
Here are a few things you probably already know but just in case.

Any changes made to form_XX.xml will be over written any time the form addon
is updated. custom.xml and test.xml are never over written.

If modifying an existing form change the form id= and save it to custom.xml
or test.xml

The form id= should start with the country code, see the Form Definitions
page.

Kurt