Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

GRAMPS - User mailing list


Hi All
Running V5. on Ubuntu Mate

Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]

Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
Version: 2.0.13
Authors:
Email:
Filename: formgramplet.py
Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form

XML file name custom.xml

XML Code
<section role="Primary" type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
</column>
<column>
<_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
<column>
<_attribute>T</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Test</_longname>
</column>
</column>
</section>

If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work on
that form
<size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of fixed
size unless you type more characters than the width of the box can hold
(more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 13:29:14 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

><size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of

IDK about the other problems (with tootips), but I /think/(1) that size
will alter startup width if it's greater than the heading length.  As
you go on to say, it only acts as a minimum in any case.

For example; a size change of 4 to 8 will do nothing if the heading is
'Married, Widowed or Divorced'.  You'd only notice the change in the
heading were 'M,W,D' or something equally short.

(1) I stress the 'think' because it's a long time since I played with my
custom forms in that way.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Hey there, Mr Average, you don't exist, you never did
Persons Unknown - Poison Girls


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

attachment0 (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

J. Allen Crider-2
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Based on my experience, the size has no effect on the GUI.  It was used
at one time for determining the percentage of the page width used in
printed census reports.  I'm not sure there is a way to print census
reports now that the Forms gramplet supports other kinds of forms.

As for the GUI, the initial width of each column is determined by the
length of the name for the field and the width adjusts dynamically
depending on the data entered.

Allen Crider

On 11/29/18 7:29 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

>
>
> Hi All
> Running V5. on Ubuntu Mate
>
> Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]
>
> Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
> Version: 2.0.13
> Authors:
> Email:
> Filename: formgramplet.py
> Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form
>
> XML file name custom.xml
>
> XML Code
> <section role="Primary" type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
> </column>
> <column>
> <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
> <column>
> <_attribute>T</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Test</_longname>
> </column>
> </column>
> </section>
>
> If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work on
> that form
> <size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of fixed
> size unless you type more characters than the width of the box can hold
> (more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org
>


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Phil,

I am the author of the Form gramplet.

The longname not displaying as a tooltip is a bug.

The size was initially intended to be used with the census report.  It
is a percentage of the page width.

Nick.


On 29/11/2018 13:29, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]
>
> Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
> Version: 2.0.13
> Authors:
> Email:
> Filename: formgramplet.py
> Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form
>
> XML file name custom.xml
>
> XML Code
> <section role="Primary"
> type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
> </column>
> <column>
> <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
> <column>
> <_attribute>T</_attribute>
> <size>30</size>
> <_longname>Test</_longname>
> </column>
> </column>
> </section>
>
> If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work
> on that form
> <size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of
> fixed size unless you type more characters than the width of the box
> can hold (more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

GRAMPS - User mailing list



Hi Nick/Kurt/Allen

May I thank you for your responses,

Nick do you wish me to create a bug report or is there one I missed
given your speedy response suspect this is already on your radar but
correctly low in priority.
And maybe a small update to the wiki to remove size
Allen you are right and wrong the the intial width of the GUI field is
set by the name but seems to have a default of 18 characters minimum
extending beyond that when you create a longer name, and as you say
dynamically as you enter data.
I was looking to create some shorter fields where the answer is Y or N,
M or F etc
Kurt I will look at adding what I create however I am a long way from
that as yet

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 29/11/2018 14:17, Nick Hall wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I am the author of the Form gramplet.
>
> The longname not displaying as a tooltip is a bug.
>
> The size was initially intended to be used with the census report.  It
> is a percentage of the page width.
>
> Nick.
>
>
> On 29/11/2018 13:29, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>> Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]
>>
>> Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
>> Version: 2.0.13
>> Authors:
>> Email:
>> Filename: formgramplet.py
>> Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form
>>
>> XML file name custom.xml
>>
>> XML Code
>> <section role="Primary"
>> type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
>> </column>
>> <column>
>> <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
>> <column>
>> <_attribute>T</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Test</_longname>
>> </column>
>> </column>
>> </section>
>>
>> If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work
>> on that form
>> <size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of
>> fixed size unless you type more characters than the width of the box
>> can hold (more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Kurt Caulley
In reply to this post by Nick Hall
Nick
Would you mind if I removed the reference to <size> </size> on the Form
Addons page?

Kurt



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

J. Allen Crider-2
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
There is a minimum width for columns in the GUI, although from what I've
seen, it appears to be space for 6 to 8 characters.  For example, Sex,
Color, and Age are all less than the minimum width.  The longest name I
can quickly find that is shorter than the minimum is "Street".

Allen

On 11/29/18 10:01 AM, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

>
>
>
> Hi Nick/Kurt/Allen
>
> May I thank you for your responses,
>
> Nick do you wish me to create a bug report or is there one I missed
> given your speedy response suspect this is already on your radar but
> correctly low in priority.
> And maybe a small update to the wiki to remove size
> Allen you are right and wrong the the intial width of the GUI field is
> set by the name but seems to have a default of 18 characters minimum
> extending beyond that when you create a longer name, and as you say
> dynamically as you enter data.
> I was looking to create some shorter fields where the answer is Y or N,
> M or F etc
> Kurt I will look at adding what I create however I am a long way from
> that as yet
>
> Regards
> Phil
> MLFHS 12583
> Dumfries
> On 29/11/2018 14:17, Nick Hall wrote:
>> Phil,
>>
>> I am the author of the Form gramplet.
>>
>> The longname not displaying as a tooltip is a bug.
>>
>> The size was initially intended to be used with the census report.  It
>> is a percentage of the page width.
>>
>> Nick.
>>
>>
>> On 29/11/2018 13:29, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
>>> Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]
>>>
>>> Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
>>> Version: 2.0.13
>>> Authors:
>>> Email:
>>> Filename: formgramplet.py
>>> Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form
>>>
>>> XML file name custom.xml
>>>
>>> XML Code
>>> <section role="Primary"
>>> type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
>>> <size>30</size>
>>> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
>>> </column>
>>> <column>
>>> <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
>>> <size>30</size>
>>> <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
>>> <column>
>>> <_attribute>T</_attribute>
>>> <size>30</size>
>>> <_longname>Test</_longname>
>>> </column>
>>> </column>
>>> </section>
>>>
>>> If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work
>>> on that form
>>> <size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of
>>> fixed size unless you type more characters than the width of the box
>>> can hold (more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gramps-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>> https://gramps-project.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 29/11/2018 16:01, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:
> Nick do you wish me to create a bug report or is there one I missed
> given your speedy response suspect this is already on your radar but
> correctly low in priority.

Please create a bug report.  It should be an easy fix, so I'll try to
look at it soon.

Nick.



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by Kurt Caulley
On 29/11/2018 16:02, CurtD wrote:
> Would you mind if I removed the reference to <size> </size> on the Form
> Addons page?

Removing the size attribute will probably break the census report.  Does
anyone still use this report?

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Kurt Caulley
On 29/11/2018 16:02, Nick Hall wrote:
> Removing the size attribute will probably break the census report.  Does
> anyone still use this report?

I don't because the US census have gotten so long that they don't fit on
letter or legal size paper properly even in portrait mode. The US1940 census
is a good example. There were 34 questions for 95% of the population the
other 5% had 45 questions. <size> has not been used in most of the US census
forms. Rewriting the census report to accommodate these census would have to
be a nightmare and I for one would not even ask for the attempt.

Kurt



--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

rider
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Removing the size attribute will probably break the census report.? Does
anyone still use this report?

Nick.

I am not aware of a census report but if you are asking about using the Form gramplet to record census data, yes I do still use it for that purpose and would hate to see it broken.

Lynda


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by Kurt Caulley
On 29/11/2018 20:08, CurtD wrote:
On 29/11/2018 16:02, Nick Hall wrote: 
Removing the size attribute will probably break the census report.  Does
anyone still use this report? 
I don't because the US census have gotten so long that they don't fit on
letter or legal size paper properly even in portrait mode. The US1940 census
is a good example. There were 34 questions for 95% of the population the
other 5% had 45 questions. <size> has not been used in most of the US census
forms. Rewriting the census report to accommodate these census would have to
be a nightmare and I for one would not even ask for the attempt.

I wrote the census report to display UK census returns.  It doesn't work well with a large number of columns, which is why I no longer distribute it.  In fact, it actaully gives an error with more than 256 columns.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
In reply to this post by rider
On 29/11/2018 21:07, Lynda wrote:
> I am not aware of a census report but if you are asking about using
> the Form gramplet to record census data, yes I do still use it for
> that purpose and would hate to see it broken.
>
The census report is no longer included in the Forms addon.  The
gramplet will always be able to record census data.   That is why I
wrote it.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Keith Jacobs
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Yes I too use the census form.
Regards
Keith
On 29/11/2018, 21:07 Lynda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Removing the size attribute will probably break the census report.? Does
anyone still use this report?

Nick.

I am not aware of a census report but if you are asking about using the Form gramplet to record census data, yes I do still use it for that purpose and would hate to see it broken.

Lynda
_______________________________________________ Gramps-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

prculley
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
I've fixed up the Form addon; it should now have the tooltips on Persons and Families.

Paul C.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 7:30 AM phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi All
Running V5. on Ubuntu Mate

Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]

Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
Version: 2.0.13
Authors:
Email:
Filename: formgramplet.py
Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form

XML file name custom.xml

XML Code
<section role="Primary" type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
</column>
<column>
<_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
<column>
<_attribute>T</_attribute>
<size>30</size>
<_longname>Test</_longname>
</column>
</column>
</section>

If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work on
that form
<size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of fixed
size unless you type more characters than the width of the box can hold
(more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

Nick Hall
On 03/12/2018 22:53, Paul Culley wrote:
> I've fixed up the Form addon; it should now have the tooltips on
> Persons and Families.
>
Thank you Paul.

Nick.




_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forms Addon Bug or Expected Behaviour?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by prculley


Hi Pau
Works for me thank you so much

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 03/12/2018 22:53, Paul Culley wrote:

> I've fixed up the Form addon; it should now have the tooltips on Persons
> and Families.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 7:30 AM phil wharram via Gramps-users <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hi All
>> Running V5. on Ubuntu Mate
>>
>> Plugin name: Form Gramplet [10]
>>
>> Description: Gramplet interface for Forms
>> Version: 2.0.13
>> Authors:
>> Email:
>> Filename: formgramplet.py
>> Location: /home/phil/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/Form
>>
>> XML file name custom.xml
>>
>> XML Code
>> <section role="Primary" type="multi"><column><_attribute>Name</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Occupiers Name</_longname>
>> </column>
>> <column>
>> <_attribute>Trade</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Occupiers Trade or Profession</_longname>
>> <column>
>> <_attribute>T</_attribute>
>> <size>30</size>
>> <_longname>Test</_longname>
>> </column>
>> </column>
>> </section>
>>
>> If change "multi" in first line to "person" then Tooltips do not work on
>> that form
>> <size> appears to do nothing, the data entry boxes appear to be of fixed
>> size unless you type more characters than the width of the box can hold
>> (more than 15 characters) atwhich point the box expands
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gramps-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>> https://gramps-project.org
>>
>


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org