Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

JohnM
Gramps 4.2.8-1 on Windows 8.1

I recently installed the Forms gramplet. If I go to the Dashboard and click
'Add a gramplet' then Forms does not show up in the list. Another gramplet
installed at the same time does show up.

If I click 'Restore gramplet' all it does is tell me to right click.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove a gramplet.

I can see a flle formgramplet.gpr.py  in
..\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps42\plugins\Forms

How do I make the Forms gramplet appear?

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 09:43:22 -0700 (MST)
JohnM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello JohnM,

>I recently installed the Forms gramplet. If I go to the Dashboard and
>click 'Add a gramplet' then Forms does not show up in the list.

The Forms Gramplet isn't designed to run on the Dashboard, which is
probably why you can't find it there.  It's designed to be used on the
bottom portion of the People page.  Look for it there.

--
 Regards  _
You're the psychotic daughter of a psychotic mother

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

Hello John,

Please check

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Form_Addons

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hijkAF6eE

I don't use the Gramplet myself, so please come back to the list if
these links don't help enough.

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

JohnM
Hi Brad

Thanks. I found the down arrow on the People page would let me install it there. The video, that Enno refers to, states that it can be installed on the Desktop or the Charts page.

I am now having a problem entering the Attributes. I make the source editable then go to Attributes and click +. A dialog pops up containing Unknown in the top box but it won't let me enter the values. It just beeps after I type in a character.

John

On 15 April 2018 at 18:45, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 09:43:22 -0700 (MST)
JohnM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello JohnM,

>I recently installed the Forms gramplet. If I go to the Dashboard and
>click 'Add a gramplet' then Forms does not show up in the list.

The Forms Gramplet isn't designed to run on the Dashboard, which is
probably why you can't find it there.  It's designed to be used on the
bottom portion of the People page.  Look for it there.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
You're the psychotic daughter of a psychotic mother
Pure Mania - The Vibrators

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:35:06 +0100
John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I am now having a problem entering the Attributes. I make the source
>editable then go to Attributes and click +. A dialog pops up containing

First, select 'Form' from the dropdown list; down caret at the RHS of
the Attribute gadget with Unknown in it.

Second, you can now enter (for example) UK1861 as the value.

Both Value and Attribute are case sensitive.

>Unknown in the top box but it won't let me enter the values. It just
>beeps after I type in a character.

Some versions of Gramps do that regardless of the fact there's not an
error.  I suspect that's what going on here, and it can be ignored.

--
 Regards  _
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

JohnM
Hi Brad

The Attribute dropdown on the Attribute Editor only shows the 'Unknown' value.

It is the same for other sources.

I note that the video says that you type the word Form into the Attribute box.

John

On 15 April 2018 at 20:49, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:35:06 +0100
John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I am now having a problem entering the Attributes. I make the source
>editable then go to Attributes and click +. A dialog pops up containing

First, select 'Form' from the dropdown list; down caret at the RHS of
the Attribute gadget with Unknown in it.

Second, you can now enter (for example) UK1861 as the value.

Both Value and Attribute are case sensitive.

>Unknown in the top box but it won't let me enter the values. It just
>beeps after I type in a character.

Some versions of Gramps do that regardless of the fact there's not an
error.  I suspect that's what going on here, and it can be ignored.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
I'll be the paint on the side if you'll be the tin
Love Song - The Damned

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 21:10:45 +0100
John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I note that the video says that you type the word Form into the
>Attribute box.

It's been a long time since I added the Forms addon;  I can't remember
whether I typed in the word Form or not.  However, since the video tells
one to type the word in.........

--
 Regards  _
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

JohnM
Hi Brad

That's the problem I started with. It won't let me type over the 'Unknown' in the Attribute box or in the Value box below.

John

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 08:43 Brad Rogers, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 21:10:45 +0100
John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I note that the video says that you type the word Form into the
>Attribute box.

It's been a long time since I added the Forms addon;  I can't remember
whether I typed in the word Form or not.  However, since the video tells
one to type the word in.........

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns 'N' Roses

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

prculley
Are you sure it will not let you type?  On my Windows system, when typing in the Edit attribute (accessed via the '+') over the 'Unknown' word, I get a 'beep' kind of sound for each character, but the characters are entered and appear in the entry field.  I can enter any word or words here (and other such fields in Gramps).  The field entry 'remembers' any such custom entries when you hit the 'ok' button, so you only have to do this the first time, after which you can find it in the list.

Paul C.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:42 AM, John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Brad

That's the problem I started with. It won't let me type over the 'Unknown' in the Attribute box or in the Value box below.

John

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 08:43 Brad Rogers, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 21:10:45 +0100
John Marriott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I note that the video says that you type the word Form into the
>Attribute box.

It's been a long time since I added the Forms addon;  I can't remember
whether I typed in the word Form or not.  However, since the video tells
one to type the word in.........

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
I'd hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain
Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns 'N' Roses

Re: Forms gramplet installed but does not appear

David L McMurray

John,

Just tried it on my 4.2.8-1 Win64 system and I couldn’t type over the highlighted Unknown, but clicking in the field and re-highlighting Unknown does it for me, replacing Unknown with anything I want. I got no sound when I did it.

Dave