Forms gramplet

Tony Hacche
I have been searching through the archives for information on best practices for source citations and repositories. A lot of the time the advice has been "whatever works for you". There is also frequent mention of the Forms gramplet. I have had a quick play and I can see how it can be very useful for inputting new information.

However, the source of my data is via a GEDCOM import so I already have source citations but they need a lot of tidying up due to inconsistencies in the format of information, partly my fault and partly the fault of the previous application that I used.

I'm trying to determine an appropriate workflow that would allow me to tidy up the existing source citations in conjunction with using the Forms gramplet. I'm struggling to come up with something sensible though without having to re-enter a lot of existing information.

My tree isn't huge at the moment, tiny compared to come numbers I've seen in the email archives ;-) 55 people, 280 events, 445 citations although there appears to be a lot of duplication as there are multiple entries for the same citation rather than the same citation being referenced multiple times.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Forms gramplet

enno

Hello Tony,

However, the source of my data is via a GEDCOM import so I already have source citations but they need a lot of tidying up due to inconsistencies in the format of information, partly my fault and partly the fault of the previous application that I used.

I'm trying to determine an appropriate workflow that would allow me to tidy up the existing source citations in conjunction with using the Forms gramplet. I'm struggling to come up with something sensible though without having to re-enter a lot of existing information.

I can understand your struggle, and I never use the forms gramplet myself. That is partly, because it doesn't support the document types that I normally find in The Netherlands, and partly, because I think that the forms data don't export well to other programs, which is a bad thing if you want to upload parts of your tree to sites like Ancestry or FindMyPast, or send them to relatives who don't use Gramps.

I think that, with a little discipline, you can better stick with the standard source and citation fields, meaning that you use the author, title, date and page fields in a manner that works for you and is consistent enough to show up nice in reports, etc.

Re: Forms gramplet

Tony Hacche
Enno,

> I can understand your struggle, and I never use the forms gramplet
> myself. That is partly, because it doesn't support the document
> types that I normally find in The Netherlands, ...

I can understand that. I had a quick play with the UK forms (BMD certificates and Census) and can see how they would be useful for data input for me. I have also done a bit of XML templating so I can see how I might be able to produce some custom forms to cover BMD indexes.

> ... and partly, because I think that the forms data don't export
> well to other programs, which is a bad thing if you want to upload
> parts of your tree to sites like Ancestry or FindMyPast, or send
> them to relatives who don't use Gramps.

Ah, OK, I had not appreciated that. I saw the Forms gramplet more of a way to make data entry easier. I didn't realise they introduced data that say a GEDCOM export would not be able to deal sensibly with.

> I think that, with a little discipline, you can better stick with
> the standard source and citation fields, meaning that you use the
> author, title, date and page fields in a manner that works for you
> and is consistent enough to show up nice in reports, etc.

That's what I have been doing up to now but you do have to be inventive in some cases to shoehorn the information in ;-)

Thanks,

Tony