Found in my archives - before sourceforge and the gramps name - version 0.0.3

Found in my archives - before sourceforge and the gramps name - version 0.0.3

Don Allingham-3
The gramps project turns 10 years old on Monday. I was digging through
my backups, and found version 0.0.3. Back then, the program was named
"relativity" and had not been released on SourceForge yet. And while the
3.2.5 tarball is 7.3MB in size, the 0.0.3 was 59KB in size.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a system old enough to run this version.
It requires GTK 1 and python 1.5.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know. I'd be glad to send it out.

Don

Re: Found in my archives - before sourceforge and the gramps name - version 0.0.3

Benny Malengier

2011/4/8 Don Allingham <[hidden email]>
The gramps project turns 10 years old on Monday. I was digging through
my backups, and found version 0.0.3. Back then, the program was named
"relativity" and had not been released on SourceForge yet. And while the
3.2.5 tarball is 7.3MB in size, the 0.0.3 was 59KB in size.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a system old enough to run this version.
It requires GTK 1 and python 1.5.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know. I'd be glad to send it out.

Yeah,

I'd like a copy.
I must say, I never saw a python 1.x program :-)
We should put it on the site, with a link from
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Previous_releases

I see there however that first release is 21, so that is an error?

benny

Don

Re: Found in my archives - before sourceforge and the gramps name - version 0.0.3

Don Allingham-3
This version was never released, and the program had a different name at
that point. I had actually put this together for a different project
(genes). That project never got of the ground. Several people liked to
talk about databases, but never actually did anything real. Once I
realized that, I started to experiment on my own, which eventually
became gramps.

There isn't much here, but it does show the original roots of the
program. I'll send it separately to Benny so that it doesn't clog up
everyone's email.

Don

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 12:37 +0200, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2011/4/8 Don Allingham <[hidden email]>
>         The gramps project turns 10 years old on Monday. I was digging
>         through
>         my backups, and found version 0.0.3. Back then, the program
>         was named
>         "relativity" and had not been released on SourceForge yet. And
>         while the
>         3.2.5 tarball is 7.3MB in size, the 0.0.3 was 59KB in size.
>
>         Unfortunately, I no longer have a system old enough to run
>         this version.
>         It requires GTK 1 and python 1.5.
>
>         If anyone wants a copy, let me know. I'd be glad to send it
>         out.
>
> Yeah,
>
> I'd like a copy.
> I must say, I never saw a python 1.x program :-)
> We should put it on the site, with a link from
> http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Previous_releases
>
> I see there however that first release is 21, so that is an error?
>
> benny
>

>         Don

Re: Found in my archives - before sourceforge and the gramps name - version 0.0.3

Richard Taylor-2
Hi Don,

Good to see that you are still lurking on the list.

I love a bit of coding nostalgia. A quick look at 'svn log' shows that I
did not start to commit until 2005, so some 4 years after you started
the project. Tragically it also shows that I have not contributed any
code since 2009.

A big thank you to all who have contributed over the years and
especially to the current carriers of the torch!

All the best

Richard