Frequent crashes

Johan Vromans
Hi,

I'm currently experiencing very frequent crashes with GRAMPS 3.1.1 and
3.1.3 under Fedora 10 and Fedora 11.

Very frequent means that GRAMPS crashes after a couple of changes.
Usually, but unfortunately not always :(, no changes are lost.

I tried exporting the database and importing in a clean database but
that didn't help.

I've saved a crash report:
http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/gramps-crash.zip .

Is there anything I can do to help solving this?

-- Johan

Re: Frequent crashes

DS Blank
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently experiencing very frequent crashes with GRAMPS 3.1.1 and
3.1.3 under Fedora 10 and Fedora 11.

Very frequent means that GRAMPS crashes after a couple of changes.
Usually, but unfortunately not always :(, no changes are lost.

I tried exporting the database and importing in a clean database but
that didn't help.

I've saved a crash report:
http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/gramps-crash.zip .

Is there anything I can do to help solving this?

Yes there is: can you detail what it is that you are doing when this happens? Does it happen consistently in one place while you are doing something?

If you have more details, please file a bug report here:

http://bugs.gramps-project.org/my_view_page.php

Thanks!

-Doug

-- Johan

Re: Frequent crashes

Johan Vromans
Doug Blank <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes there is: can you detail what it is that you are doing when this
> happens? Does it happen consistently in one place while you are doing
> something?

Unfortunately, no. While working I try to keep track of patterns but
the crashes are not consistent. Only that it seem to happen when I
press [OK] or [Cancel] on a window. Not much helpful...

-- Johan

Re: Frequent crashes

Duncan Lithgow-5
Please remember to turn off the 'assisted technology' if you've got it
turned on. That can cause these types of head aches.

Duncan

Re: Frequent crashes

Johan Vromans
Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> writes:

> Please remember to turn off the 'assisted technology' if you've got it
> turned on. That can cause these types of head aches.

Interesting, though I must admit I do not have the faintest idea what
you mean...

-- Johan

Re: Frequent crashes

Peter Landgren
Den Saturday 16 January 2010 12.38.30 skrev Johan Vromans:
> Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Please remember to turn off the 'assisted technology' if you've got it
> > turned on. That can cause these types of head aches.
>
> Interesting, though I must admit I do not have the faintest idea what
> you mean...
>
> -- Johan

I think Duncan means programs for disabled people.
Speech synthesis, magnifying glass...

/Peter

Re: Frequent crashes

DS Blank

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Den Saturday 16 January 2010 12.38.30 skrev Johan Vromans:
> Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Please remember to turn off the 'assisted technology' if you've got it
> > turned on. That can cause these types of head aches.
>
> Interesting, though I must admit I do not have the faintest idea what
> you mean...
>
> -- Johan

I think Duncan means programs for disabled people.
Speech synthesis, magnifying glass...

Under Gnome, there is a setting under Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Assistive Technologies. Make sure that that is NOT enabled.

-Doug

/Peter

Re: Frequent crashes

Johan Vromans
Doug Blank <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>wrote:
> Under Gnome, there is a setting under Menu -> System -> Preferences ->
> Assistive Technologies. Make sure that that is NOT enabled.

It's not ...

-- Johan

Re: Frequent crashes

2010/1/14 Johan Vromans <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently experiencing very frequent crashes with GRAMPS 3.1.1 and
> 3.1.3 under Fedora 10 and Fedora 11.
>
> Very frequent means that GRAMPS crashes after a couple of changes.
> Usually, but unfortunately not always :(, no changes are lost.
>
> I tried exporting the database and importing in a clean database but
> that didn't help.
>
> I've saved a crash report:
> http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/gramps-crash.zip .
>
> Is there anything I can do to help solving this?

Ok, looked at your output, it is a good one, but nothing that springs
out, so you should try some things.
First, I do see a reference to ATK (assistive technologies) in
module[239] of the crash, also 249, and others. So I really wonder if
it really is disabled.

Anyway, try the following:

*switch of composite. I see many references to it. Probably not
related, but the bug output might change as I think the crash is
related to drawing windows (many references to png, svg writing to
disk to write image cache). So post another crash report without
compositing.
The error is
(gnome-panel:9649): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_run_dispose:
assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
so I would guess a pixmap that must be freed from glade ....

*altough the above seems the most likely to me, there is a reference
to gtkspell also, so switch that off.
You can do that by changing the file src/Spell.py, so open that as
root, and change on line 53, from

try:
    import enchant
    HAVE_ENCHANT = True
except ImportError:
    HAVE_ENCHANT = False

try:
    import gtkspell
    HAVE_GTKSPELL = True
except ImportError:
    HAVE_GTKSPELL = False

into :

try:
    HAVE_ENCHANT = False
except ImportError:
    HAVE_ENCHANT = False

try:
    HAVE_GTKSPELL = False
except ImportError:
    HAVE_GTKSPELL = False

Then try again.

Should you have development code running, it might be interesting to
know if that crashes, as we no longer use glade, and that might be
involved in the crash.

Benny