Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
For the last day or two I've been getting a lot of errors.  I am running
Gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04.  My best guess is that it is happening
during backups.  Most of them have occurred when I wasn't doing anything
in Gramps or when closing down.  Here is the error detail from the most
recent occurrence.

115588574: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/displaystate.py",
line 625, in modify_statusbar
     name, obj = navigation_label(dbstate.db, nav_type, active_handle)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils/db.py", line
328, in navigation_label
     obj = db.get_person_from_handle(handle)
   File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
688, in get_person_from_handle
     return self._get_from_handle(handle, Person, self.person_map)
   File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
675, in _get_from_handle
     data = data_map.get(handle.encode('utf-8'))
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/bsddb3/dbshelve.py", line 224,
in get
     data = self.db.get(*args, **kw)
bsddb3.db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
error, run database recovery -- BDB0060 PANIC: fatal region error
detected; run recovery')

I have tried "Check and Repair Database" and I've even tried creating a
new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not aware of any
changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change I'm
aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the installation of
language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python updates
for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.

Any ideas?

Allen Crider

Re: Frequent gramps error

Peter Merchant
On 23/09/18 21:38, J. Allen Crider wrote:

> For the last day or two I've been getting a lot of errors.  I am
> running Gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04.  My best guess is that it is
> happening during backups.  Most of them have occurred when I wasn't
> doing anything in Gramps or when closing down.  Here is the error
> detail from the most recent occurrence.
>
> 115588574: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/displaystate.py",
> line 625, in modify_statusbar
>     name, obj = navigation_label(dbstate.db, nav_type, active_handle)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils/db.py", line
> 328, in navigation_label
>     obj = db.get_person_from_handle(handle)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
> 688, in get_person_from_handle
>     return self._get_from_handle(handle, Person, self.person_map)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
> 675, in _get_from_handle
>     data = data_map.get(handle.encode('utf-8'))
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/bsddb3/dbshelve.py", line 224,
> in get
>     data = self.db.get(*args, **kw)
> bsddb3.db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
> error, run database recovery -- BDB0060 PANIC: fatal region error
> detected; run recovery')
>
> I have tried "Check and Repair Database" and I've even tried creating
> a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not aware of
> any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change
> I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the installation of
> language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
> message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
> updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Allen Crider

Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and where
did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have not
seen it.

Peter

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
I was getting a dialog box and the messages were displayed when I
clicked on Error Detail.  I may have finally tracked it down last night.
  The first time I recall seeing the dialog box was while I was trying
to shut down gramps, although the messages were probably different that
time, and I had trouble getting gramps to shut down and the next time I
started it, the database was locked.  I finally began just dismissing
this error dialog each time it popped up and continuing to work in the
application.  After I decided not to continue using gramps last night
and shut it down, I got another error dialog with the same messages
below.  At that point I ran ps and discovered there were two instances
of gramps still running in the background, one that had been started on
Thursday and another started on Saturday.  I killed both processes and I
haven't seen the dialog box again (although I've only just restarted
gramps and haven't done anything except start a database check).  So
I've probably resolved this particular error.  As to why the processes
did not stop when I tried to close gramps, I can't say but won't worry
about it unless I see it again.

Allen

On 09/24/2018 04:59 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 23/09/18 21:38, J. Allen Crider wrote:
>> For the last day or two I've been getting a lot of errors.  I am
>> running Gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04.  My best guess is that it is
>> happening during backups.  Most of them have occurred when I wasn't
>> doing anything in Gramps or when closing down.  Here is the error
>> detail from the most recent occurrence.
>>
>> 115588574: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/displaystate.py",
>> line 625, in modify_statusbar
>>      name, obj = navigation_label(dbstate.db, nav_type, active_handle)
>>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils/db.py", line
>> 328, in navigation_label
>>      obj = db.get_person_from_handle(handle)
>>    File
>> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
>> 688, in get_person_from_handle
>>      return self._get_from_handle(handle, Person, self.person_map)
>>    File
>> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
>> 675, in _get_from_handle
>>      data = data_map.get(handle.encode('utf-8'))
>>    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/bsddb3/dbshelve.py", line 224,
>> in get
>>      data = self.db.get(*args, **kw)
>> bsddb3.db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
>> error, run database recovery -- BDB0060 PANIC: fatal region error
>> detected; run recovery')
>>
>> I have tried "Check and Repair Database" and I've even tried creating
>> a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not aware of
>> any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change
>> I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the installation of
>> language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
>> message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
>> updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Allen Crider
>>
> Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and where
> did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have not
> seen it.
>
> Peter

Re: Frequent gramps error

Unfortunately the underlying BSDDB database does seem to get corrupted once in a while.  There are several ways to guarantee a corruption, which should always be avoided.  The first and foremost, is not to let anything but a single copy of Gramps write to your database.  Some people think that they can use backup or syncing tools to allow sharing of Gramps databases between computers or users, this can really mess up a database.  Other times a database gets opened more than once (although Gramps tries to detect and warn the user about this).

The error messages you posted indicate that the db is indeed corrupted.  You may be able to recover using one or more of the methods suggested in the following link.  Hope you have a recent XML backup, as you will likely need it.

Lastly, if you do have a backup, you might try switching to the SQLite database backend.  The developers have included this in Gramps 5.0.0 because it is expected to be more resistant to the kind of corruptions we seem to see with BSDDB.  Use "Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Database Backend" setting to change to the default for new family trees, then make a new tree and import your backup into that.

Paul C.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 5:00 AM Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/09/18 21:38, J. Allen Crider wrote:
> For the last day or two I've been getting a lot of errors.  I am
> running Gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04.  My best guess is that it is
> happening during backups.  Most of them have occurred when I wasn't
> doing anything in Gramps or when closing down.  Here is the error
> detail from the most recent occurrence.
>
> 115588574: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/displaystate.py",
> line 625, in modify_statusbar
>     name, obj = navigation_label(dbstate.db, nav_type, active_handle)
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/utils/db.py", line
> 328, in navigation_label
>     obj = db.get_person_from_handle(handle)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
> 688, in get_person_from_handle
>     return self._get_from_handle(handle, Person, self.person_map)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/bsddb/read.py", line
> 675, in _get_from_handle
>     data = data_map.get(handle.encode('utf-8'))
>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/bsddb3/dbshelve.py", line 224,
> in get
>     data = self.db.get(*args, **kw)
> bsddb3.db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
> error, run database recovery -- BDB0060 PANIC: fatal region error
> detected; run recovery')
>
> I have tried "Check and Repair Database" and I've even tried creating
> a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not aware of
> any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change
> I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the installation of
> language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
> message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
> updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Allen Crider

Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and where
did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have not
seen it.

Peter

Re: Frequent gramps error

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

I run Win 10 fully updated and Ver 5.0 64 bit with SQLite Database
stored on a NAS in the last few weeks my router has gone down (long
story) and on 2 occasions I was using Gramps both times when shutting
down it came back with and error message and whilst it appeared that
Gramps had shutdown the error message kept on coming up  so some trace
of Gramps was still running because it only went away after a PC restart.

Next time starting Gramps the db was locked but after breaking the lock
it appears there was no corruption.

I will pay more attention to Gramps rather than the router next time

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 24/09/2018 14:52, Paul Culley wrote:

> [...]
>>> bsddb3.db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
>>> error, run database recovery -- BDB0060 PANIC: fatal region error
>>> detected; run recovery')
>>>
>>> I have tried "Check and Repair Database" and I've even tried creating
>>> a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not aware of
>>> any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change
>>> I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the installation of
>>> language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
>>> message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
>>> updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Allen Crider
>>>
>> Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and where
>> did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have not

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
Is there any documentation on how to use SQLite with Gramps 5.0?  I
installed sqlite3, changed the database backend, and created a new
database.  But when I try to open it, I get a message that Gramps has
detected a problem in the underlying Berkeley database, and it locks the
empty database.  I'm sure I'm missing something, because there seems to
be no way to open the database to import data, and I haven't found
anything in the manual so far.

Allen

On 09/24/2018 08:52 AM, Paul Culley wrote:

> [...]
>     creating
>      > a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not
>     aware of
>      > any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system change
>      > I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the
>     installation of
>      > language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK installation
>      > message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
>      > updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>      >
>      > Any ideas?
>      >
>      > Allen Crider
>      >
>     Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and where
>     did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have not

Re: Frequent gramps error

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Allen

Sounds like you have not edited preferences to set the database backend
to SQLite

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 24/09/2018 23:54, J. Allen Crider wrote:

> [...]
>>      > a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not
>>     aware of
>>      > any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system
>> change
>>      > I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the
>>     installation of
>>      > language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK
>> installation
>>      > message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
>>      > updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>>      >
>>      > Any ideas?
>>      >
>>      > Allen Crider
>>      >
>>     Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and
>> where
>>     did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I have

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
That was where I changed the backend, and when I created the database,
it showed that the database type was SQLite.  But I got the message
about the Berkeley database when I tried to open it.

On 09/25/2018 03:22 AM, phil wharram wrote:

> [...]
>>>      > a new database and importing the most recent backup.  I'm not
>>>     aware of
>>>      > any changes I've made that would cause this.  The only system
>>> change
>>>      > I'm aware of that has had any impact on Gramps was the
>>>     installation of
>>>      > language-pack-gnome-en to get rid of the incomplete GTK
>>> installation
>>>      > message when starting Gramps.  There may have been a few python
>>>      > updates for Kubuntu, although I don't remember which ones.
>>>      >
>>>      > Any ideas?
>>>      >
>>>      > Allen Crider
>>>      >
>>>     Allen, I am also running gramps 5.0.0 on Kubuntu 18.04. When and
>>> where
>>>     did you see the error? Was it in a log, or on the screen?   I

Re: Frequent gramps error

enno
Op 25-9-2018 om 14:28 schreef J. Allen Crider:
> That was where I changed the backend, and when I created the database,
> it showed that the database type was SQLite.  But I got the message
> about the Berkeley database when I tried to open it.
Does this mean that you can't open it now? And can you still open real
Berkeley trees now?

I have no (k)ubuntu available here, but last time I tried to create and
open a Gramps SQLite tree on Windows, it worked quite well. And I guess
that I can get it to work with the latest Mint too.

Can you describe what you did, step by step?

Re: Frequent gramps error

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:54:19 -0500
"J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello J.,

>Is there any documentation on how to use SQLite with Gramps 5.0?  I
>installed sqlite3, changed the database backend, and created a new
>database.  But when I try to open it, I get a message that Gramps has
>detected a problem in the underlying Berkeley database, and it locks
>the

Have you actually loaded the SQlite database back end?  Installing
SQlite and telling Gramps to use SQlite isn't /quite/ enough.

--
 Regards  _
They take away our freedom in the name of liberty

Re: Frequent gramps error

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

Installed ver 5 on both Win 10 64 bit and Ubuntu Mate neither required
SQLite to be installed or configured all I did was edit preferences and
then Gramps worked on SQLite and BSDDB out of the box

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 25/09/2018 15:44, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:54:19 -0500
> "J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello J.,
>
>> Is there any documentation on how to use SQLite with Gramps 5.0?  I
>> installed sqlite3, changed the database backend, and created a new
>> database.  But when I try to open it, I get a message that Gramps has
>> detected a problem in the underlying Berkeley database, and it locks
>> the
>
> Have you actually loaded the SQlite database back end?  Installing
> SQlite and telling Gramps to use SQlite isn't /quite/ enough.

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
That is what I suspected, but I can't find any documentation that tells
me what else is required.

On 09/25/2018 09:44 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:54:19 -0500
> "J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello J.,
>
>> Is there any documentation on how to use SQLite with Gramps 5.0?  I
>> installed sqlite3, changed the database backend, and created a new
>> database.  But when I try to open it, I get a message that Gramps has
>> detected a problem in the underlying Berkeley database, and it locks
>> the
>
> Have you actually loaded the SQlite database back end?  Installing
> SQlite and telling Gramps to use SQlite isn't /quite/ enough.

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
I installed sqlite3, changed the preferences in Gramps to use backend
sqlite, created a new database (Gramps showed that the database type was
SQLite), set the name, and attempted to load the database.  It was at
that point that I got the error message.

On 09/25/2018 08:50 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Op 25-9-2018 om 14:28 schreef J. Allen Crider:
>> That was where I changed the backend, and when I created the database,
>> it showed that the database type was SQLite.  But I got the message
>> about the Berkeley database when I tried to open it.
> Does this mean that you can't open it now? And can you still open real
> Berkeley trees now?
>
> I have no (k)ubuntu available here, but last time I tried to create and
> open a Gramps SQLite tree on Windows, it worked quite well. And I guess
> that I can get it to work with the latest Mint too.
>
> Can you describe what you did, step by step?
>
> Enno

Re: Frequent gramps error

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:13:14 -0500
"J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello J.,

>That is what I suspected, but I can't find any documentation that tells
>me what else is required.

In Preferences, General, make sure "What to check" is set to 'New and
Updated' addons, then click on "Check for updated addons now" and in the
window that opens, expand the section 'Database' check the SQLite one
the click "Install new addons".

Gramps will download the back end, and instruct you what to do.  You
_may_ have to restart Gramps, I'm not sure.

--
 Regards  _
My body's an oasis to drink from as you please

Re: Frequent gramps error

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 17:07:43 +0100
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

Do not Cc me, I'm subbed to the list. I will receive your reply that way.
Thank you.

>then Gramps worked on SQLite and BSDDB out of the box

Really?  IIRC, the SQLite back end wasn't installed by default here.

--
 Regards  _
It's a very small world in the middle of a crowd

Re: Frequent gramps error

Doug-11
On 25/09/18 17:28, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:13:14 -0500
> "J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello J.,
>
>> That is what I suspected, but I can't find any documentation that tells
>> me what else is required.
> In Preferences, General, make sure "What to check" is set to 'New and
> Updated' addons, then click on "Check for updated addons now" and in the
> window that opens, expand the section 'Database' check the SQLite one
> the click "Install new addons".
>
> Gramps will download the back end, and instruct you what to do.  You
> _may_ have to restart Gramps, I'm not sure.

I have a problem:
gramps -v shows I have SQLite version 3.8.7.1 as well as BSDDB.
Edit=>Preferences shows the Database Backend to be SQLite.
However Family Trees=>Manage Family Trees shows the Database
Type to be BSDDB.

How do I determine which is the actual DB backend? How do I
load the one I want?

Doug

Re: Frequent gramps error

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 18:40:42 +0100
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Doug,

There's no need to Cc me. I'm subbed to the list.

>How do I determine which is the actual DB backend? How do I
>load the one I want?

Manage Trees tells you which system the Gramps dbs use.  The Prefs value
tells Gramps what to use when you create a *new* db.

You can, if you choose, use SQlite for some dbs and BSDDB for others.

--
 Regards  _
You said you ain't had none for weeks, but baby I seen your arms

Re: Frequent gramps error

J. Allen Crider-2
The only addon I see under Database is PostgreSQL.  In the Plugin
Manager, SQLite is listed as Visible under registered plugins and
sqlite.py is included in listed under loaded plugins.  But I still can't
successfully create and open a SQLite database.

Op 25-09-18 om 18:13 schreef J. Allen Crider:
> That is what I suspected, but I can't find any documentation that
> tells me what else is required.
As far as I know, there is nothing else, meaning that when you install
Gramps 5.0, the installer will make sure that BSDDB and SQLite are
installed, and that's it.

When you run Gramps, you can set the default back-end for a new
database, and even if you don't, Gramps should be able to detect the
database type, and open it right away.

I have not tried Gramps 5.0 on a modern ubuntu release, let alone on
kubuntu, but if SQLite is there, Gramps should be able to use it. And
I'm sure that you have SQLite, because you use Thunderbird for your
mail, and Thunderbird can't run without.

Re: Frequent gramps error

Hi All

It would appear I need to issue an apology and a correction

Apology first to Brad you will no longer be cc'd into my emails you may
wish to know that on other lists where I have been on a lot longer than
this the convention is that you carry on a conversation with an
individual and allow the list to listen in.

My installation answer might have caused some confusion in that I did
not explicitly say I had installed the Addons my presumption being that
everyone would do this as part of the installation process.

Not withstanding these points the Ver 5.0 installation was a painless
one with an immediate change to SQLite being implemented.

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries