Frequent mouse freezes makes the program unusable on Mac OS

Frequent mouse freezes makes the program unusable on Mac OS

DexterB
I have been using Gramps for some years now without major issues.

I began experiencing mouse freezes (mouse cursor moves, but won't select anything in the window.) last year on earlier MacOS and Gramps releases. In most cases, I easily recovered mouse control by selecting somewhere out of the Gramps window then returning the cursor to it.

It seemed such a small issue, I didn't let it bother me.

Since installing the latest MacOS and Gramps software (MacOS 10.12.6; Gramps 4.2.5), the out-of-window select trick doesn't seem to work for me any more. I have also tried launching Gramps from the command line, but it makes no difference.

The problem can be invoked simply by selecting a person and editing a note. That makes the system practically unusable. I don't really want to use another system, so I need some help to get around the problem.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Re: Frequent mouse freezes makes the program unusable on Mac OS

Rich Lakey
In Gramps bugtracker I see problem 0010024 that might give you a clue on mouse setup.

Re: Frequent mouse freezes makes the program unusable on Mac OS

DexterB
Thanks for the advice Rich,
I looked at those bug reports. They appear to be feature requests for more mouse button functionality. As far as I can tell, they don't seem to relate to this particular issue.

In my case, when the failure occurs, the mouse works only with the top menu bar, which I understand is separately generated by the OS X QUARTZ application. The mouse stops working only on the "in-window" selections. From forum discussions of a few years ago, I understood that OS X has some compatibility issues with the GDK/GTK rendering used by GRAMPS. That incompatibility occassionally resulted in a rendering "disconnect", which was easily fixed by moving the cursor out of the window and back again, presumably to re-start the process.

I have been successfully using that work-around for some years. It no longer seems to work for me.