Quantcast

Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Vladimir-M. Obelic
Hi all,

I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view mode (Pedigree View)?
The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is not flexible when editing/adding data.

I would like to have something interactive where I can add parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e. nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...

Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?

Thanks.

Regards,
Vladimir

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Ron Johnson
On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
> mode (Pedigree View)?
> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>
> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>
> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?

The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.

After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
is good for adding families.

--
"Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
Daniel Engber

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Shree Kumar

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
> mode (Pedigree View)?
> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>
> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>
> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?

The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.

After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
is good for adding families.

+1. I faced the same problem, and relationship view seems to provide a easy way to walk the tree in a limited screen space.

I was entering a 10 deep tree from a book, and for that scenario, things worked out pretty well for me from the relationship view.

HTH
-- Shree

Veracity of books (was Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree)

Ron Johnson
Note that books aren't always as accurate as one would hope, especially the
farther back one goes.

[snip]

2012/10/3 Shree Kumar <[hidden email]>

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
> mode (Pedigree View)?
> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>
> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>
> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?

The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.

After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
is good for adding families.

+1. I faced the same problem, and relationship view seems to provide a easy way to walk the tree in a limited screen space.

I was entering a 10 deep tree from a book, and for that scenario, things worked out pretty well for me from the relationship view.

The fanchartview in future Gramps 4.0 will allow a more graphical approach for this, with 11 generations on the screen. Techniques used there can then in the future also be used in treelike views.

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Vladimir-M. Obelic
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:26:23 -0500
> From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
> > Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
> > mode (Pedigree View)?
> > The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
> > not flexible when editing/adding data.
> >
> > I would like to have something interactive where I can add
> > parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
> > All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
> > nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
> > That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
> >
> > Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?
> >

> The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
> generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.
>
> After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
> is good for adding families.
>
> --
> "Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
> Daniel Engber

Are you referring to Relationships (textual) view?

Indeed the tree for the all relationships would be huge in the end and
wouldn't fit on a single screen.
But I don't even need to see the whole tree all at once.
Think of google maps. The whole tree could be there but you would
simply have to scroll/move exactly like you would do when browsing on
i.e. google maps.
Then there's also zooming. Make it possible so mouse wheel zooms in
and out the tree...
Just add such an option to include all relationships on the tree and
implement some sort of google maps browsing.
I can't imagine a simpler and more intuitive way for this.

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Vladimir-M. Obelic
> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:26:23 -0500
> From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
>> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
>> mode (Pedigree View)?
>> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
>> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>>
>> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
>> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
>> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
>> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
>> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>>
>> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?
>>

> The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
> generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.
>
> After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
> is good for adding families.
>
> --
> "Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
> Daniel Engber

Are you referring to Relationships (textual) view?

Indeed the tree for the all relationships would be huge in the end and
wouldn't fit on a single screen.
But I don't even need to see the whole tree all at once.
Think of google maps. The whole tree could be there but you would
simply have to scroll/move exactly like you would do when browsing on
i.e. google maps.
Then there's also zooming. Make it possible so mouse wheel zooms in
and out the tree...
Just add such an option to include all relationships on the tree and
implement some sort of google maps browsing.
I can't imagine a simpler and more intuitive way for this.

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Detlef Wolz-2
Hello Vladimir,

I do not see an advantage of such an Full tree yet.

In the People View it is possible to add the Pedigree Gramplet. This is
less complex than the view you request (and has no zoom) but I never
used it for navigation because for me it is not handy.

If I understand correctly you would like to have view that is similar to
the HourGlass report. Or if siblings should be shown as well like the
Relationship report. I have only a few hundred ancestors and yet about
900 people in my DB. I do not think it will be possible to use such a
graph view for navigation when maintaining data in Gramps.

Best regards
Detlef

On 10/04/2012 05:17 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:26:23 -0500
>> From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
>>> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
>>> mode (Pedigree View)?
>>> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
>>> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>>>
>>> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
>>> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
>>> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
>>> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
>>> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>>>
>>> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?
>>>

>> The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
>> generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.
>>
>> After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
>> is good for adding families.
>>
>> --
>> "Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
>> Daniel Engber
>>

> Are you referring to Relationships (textual) view?

Yes.

> Indeed the tree for the all relationships would be huge in the end and
> wouldn't fit on a single screen.
> But I don't even need to see the whole tree all at once.
> Think of google maps. The whole tree could be there but you would
> simply have to scroll/move exactly like you would do when browsing on
> i.e. google maps.
> Then there's also zooming. Make it possible so mouse wheel zooms in
> and out the tree...
> Just add such an option to include all relationships on the tree and
> implement some sort of google maps browsing.
> I can't imagine a simpler and more intuitive way for this.

It's probably just a (not so) Simple Matter Of Programming which is possible
for a well-staffed company like Google but not so much by an OSS project
with just a couple of developers.

--
"Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
Daniel Engber

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Benny Malengier

2012/10/4 Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
On 10/04/2012 05:17 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:26:23 -0500
>> From: Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, Vladimir-M. Obelic wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've googled a lot and tried to find the answer to this question:
>>> Is it possible to display a complete pedigree/ancestry tree in the (pre)view
>>> mode (Pedigree View)?
>>> The said can be achieved with the Relationships graph report, but that is
>>> not flexible when editing/adding data.
>>>
>>> I would like to have something interactive where I can add
>>> parents/children/relatives immediately just by scrolling trough the tree.
>>> All of pedigree trees are strictly one-person centered, so i.e.
>>> nephews/nieces aren't displayed.
>>> That should be a simple option in the Pedigree View...
>>>
>>> Is there an adequate add-on that I could use?
>>>

>> The problem is that your tree grows exponentially in size as you add
>> generations, and your screen isn't big enough to view it all.
>>
>> After suffering a similar problem as you, I found that The Relationship view
>> is good for adding families.
>>
>> --
>> "Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
>> Daniel Engber
>>

> Are you referring to Relationships (textual) view?

Yes.

> Indeed the tree for the all relationships would be huge in the end and
> wouldn't fit on a single screen.
> But I don't even need to see the whole tree all at once.
> Think of google maps. The whole tree could be there but you would
> simply have to scroll/move exactly like you would do when browsing on
> i.e. google maps.
> Then there's also zooming. Make it possible so mouse wheel zooms in
> and out the tree...
> Just add such an option to include all relationships on the tree and
> implement some sort of google maps browsing.
> I can't imagine a simpler and more intuitive way for this.

It's probably just a (not so) Simple Matter Of Programming which is possible
for a well-staffed company like Google but not so much by an OSS project
with just a couple of developers.

Actually, it is not that hard if you have some GUI canvas programming experience. A week perhaps, so a month or two of your free time :-)
Nick is creating a view for the quilt representation which will have zoom and panned preview. If this is coded cleanly we could reuse that code, and show most graphical reports in the form of such a view.
The problem with OSS is however that somebody with that experience must feel he can use such a view himself. Few people spend time in their free time to develop stuff they don't use themselves.

"Don't confuse statistical and substantive significance!"
Daniel Engber

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Emmanuel Briot
> The problem with OSS is however that somebody with that experience must feel he can use such a view himself. Few people spend time in their free time to develop stuff they don't use themselves.

There is a commercial Windows software that I believe has a similar view:

http://www.branchesgenealogy.com/

I had tried the demo, that seems like a nice view indeed, but I am not sure how useful it is to enter
data. In general, I would use it to see which branch has been less researched, and perhaps
concentrate on that one for a while.

2012/10/5 Emmanuel Briot <[hidden email]>
> The problem with OSS is however that somebody with that experience must feel he can use such a view himself. Few people spend time in their free time to develop stuff they don't use themselves.

There is a commercial Windows software that I believe has a similar view:

http://www.branchesgenealogy.com/

I had tried the demo, that seems like a nice view indeed, but I am not sure how useful it is to enter
data. In general, I would use it to see which branch has been less researched, and perhaps
concentrate on that one for a while.

Well, in current Gramps version, and certainly in the next, you can use the fanchart for that (http://gramps-project.org/2012/09/fanchart-from-gimmick-to-research-tool/). It uses screen estate much better than a treeview, but less information is in a box.

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

codergenius
This post was updated on .
i think OP wants a feature which is similar to free online (basic) genealogy software http://www.familyecho.com.

even i am in search of the same feature in gramps as i want to visualize all the siblings of a person in pedigree & go on adding persons in either directions

Re: Full Ancestry/Pedigree tree

Benny Malengier

While looking for a screenshot of this familyecho, I found
http://jessiegiguiere.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/4/9/15496430/usability_test.pdf

Which is funny, because they compare familyecho with Family Tree Maker, but FTM is not FTM, but Gramps instead :-)

Benny