Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

grampsgenealogist
I have just started using places hierarchically in Gramps, which is an
excellent feature of the software.

It would be helpful if the full hierarchy displayed in the Places
list on a narrated Web site.

Here is a full hierarchy shown within as an event on Gramps:

30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom

30 is the house number so I have defined it as building. In the places
list on the narrated Web site, the place name is listed just as:

30 [P0156]

It would greatly help usability of the Places list if the full
hierarchy was shown. In this way, the entry for 30 Navarino Road
would be:

30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]

And the full record on the Web report would look like this:

---

30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]

Gramps ID P0156
Latitude 51.534157
Longitude -0.0737904
Street Navarino Road
City London
Country United Kingdom

---

This suggestion goes against the idea of "Enclosed by" but the
Places list on the Web report would be more helpful in terms
browseability

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

J. Allen Crider-2
I saw on another e-mail that you are using version 4.2.2.  This might be
a good reason to consider upgrading.  I am using version 4.2.5 and the
narrated web report it generates appears to me to be what you want.  If
you want to see an example from version 4.2.5, you can check out my
family website at http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/index.html
There is still room for improvement (such as including the place type),
but it is better than version 4.2.2.

Allen Crider

On 07/08/2017 04:01 PM, Gramps genealogist wrote:

> I have just started using places hierarchically in Gramps, which is an
> excellent feature of the software.
>
> It would be helpful if the full hierarchy displayed in the Places
> list on a narrated Web site.
>
> Here is a full hierarchy shown within as an event on Gramps:
>
> 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom
>
> 30 is the house number so I have defined it as building. In the places
> list on the narrated Web site, the place name is listed just as:
>
> 30 [P0156]
>
> It would greatly help usability of the Places list if the full
> hierarchy was shown. In this way, the entry for 30 Navarino Road
> would be:
>
> 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
>
> And the full record on the Web report would look like this:
>
> ---
>
> 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
>
> Gramps ID P0156
> Latitude 51.534157
> Longitude -0.0737904
> Street Navarino Road
> City London
> Country United Kingdom
>
> ---
>
> This suggestion goes against the idea of "Enclosed by" but the
> Places list on the Web report would be more helpful in terms
> browseability

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

grampsgenealogist
Thank you, fortunately there is an Ubuntu version of 4.2.5 maintained
outside the official Ubuntu distribution I use. I have installed this
and the Places list now works exactly as you describe.

For Ubuntu Xenial users who are content to use backports the
maintainer's Web page is here:

https://launchpad.net/~rosco2/+archive/ubuntu/backports

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:16:06 -0500
"J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw on another e-mail that you are using version 4.2.2.  This might
> be a good reason to consider upgrading.  I am using version 4.2.5 and
> the narrated web report it generates appears to me to be what you
> want.  If you want to see an example from version 4.2.5, you can
> check out my family website at
> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/index.html There is
> still room for improvement (such as including the place type), but it
> is better than version 4.2.2.
>
> Allen Crider
>
> On 07/08/2017 04:01 PM, Gramps genealogist wrote:
> > I have just started using places hierarchically in Gramps, which is
> > an excellent feature of the software.
> >
> > It would be helpful if the full hierarchy displayed in the Places
> > list on a narrated Web site.
> >
> > Here is a full hierarchy shown within as an event on Gramps:
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom
> >
> > 30 is the house number so I have defined it as building. In the
> > places list on the narrated Web site, the place name is listed just
> > as:
> >
> > 30 [P0156]
> >
> > It would greatly help usability of the Places list if the full
> > hierarchy was shown. In this way, the entry for 30 Navarino Road
> > would be:
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
> >
> > And the full record on the Web report would look like this:
> >
> > ---
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
> >
> > Gramps ID P0156
> > Latitude 51.534157
> > Longitude -0.0737904
> > Street Navarino Road
> > City London
> > Country United Kingdom
> >
> > ---
> >
> > This suggestion goes against the idea of "Enclosed by" but the
> > Places list on the Web report would be more helpful in terms
> > browseability

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

Dave Scheipers
You also said you assign the type Building to the number of the street address.

In this scenario you correctly show that the comma is added between the number and the street name; 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, ....

Setting the Preference/Places enable "Suppress comma after house number", and making the  number record having the Type = Number will remove the comma; 30 Navarino Road, Hackney, ....

The suppression only works when Type = Number.

Of course, you are free configure your database as you see fit.

Dave

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 5:50 AM, Gramps genealogist <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, fortunately there is an Ubuntu version of 4.2.5 maintained
outside the official Ubuntu distribution I use. I have installed this
and the Places list now works exactly as you describe.

For Ubuntu Xenial users who are content to use backports the
maintainer's Web page is here:

https://launchpad.net/~rosco2/+archive/ubuntu/backports

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:16:06 -0500
"J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I saw on another e-mail that you are using version 4.2.2.  This might
> be a good reason to consider upgrading.  I am using version 4.2.5 and
> the narrated web report it generates appears to me to be what you
> want.  If you want to see an example from version 4.2.5, you can
> check out my family website at
> http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/index.html There is
> still room for improvement (such as including the place type), but it
> is better than version 4.2.2.
>
> Allen Crider
>
> On 07/08/2017 04:01 PM, Gramps genealogist wrote:
> > I have just started using places hierarchically in Gramps, which is
> > an excellent feature of the software.
> >
> > It would be helpful if the full hierarchy displayed in the Places
> > list on a narrated Web site.
> >
> > Here is a full hierarchy shown within as an event on Gramps:
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom
> >
> > 30 is the house number so I have defined it as building. In the
> > places list on the narrated Web site, the place name is listed just
> > as:
> >
> > 30 [P0156]
> >
> > It would greatly help usability of the Places list if the full
> > hierarchy was shown. In this way, the entry for 30 Navarino Road
> > would be:
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
> >
> > And the full record on the Web report would look like this:
> >
> > ---
> >
> > 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, London, United Kingdom [P0156]
> >
> > Gramps ID   P0156
> > Latitude    51.534157
> > Longitude   -0.0737904
> > Street      Navarino Road
> > City        London
> > Country     United Kingdom
> >
> > ---
> >
> > This suggestion goes against the idea of "Enclosed by" but the
> > Places list on the Web report would be more helpful in terms
> > browseability

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

grampsgenealogist
Thank you for this helpful suggestion, I have now changed those entries
to number which makes more sense (fortunately I only had a few). I
hadn't spotted that option and suppression of the comma matches the
standard format of addresses

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 08:24:19 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You also said you assign the type Building to the number of the street
> address.
>
> In this scenario you correctly show that the comma is added between
> the number and the street name; 30, Navarino Road, Hackney, ....
>
> Setting the Preference/Places enable "Suppress comma after house
> number", and making the  number record having the Type = Number will
> remove the comma; 30 Navarino Road, Hackney, ....
>
> The suppression only works when Type = Number.
>
> Of course, you are free configure your database as you see fit.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 5:50 AM, Gramps genealogist <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you, fortunately there is an Ubuntu version of 4.2.5
> > maintained outside the official Ubuntu distribution I use. I have
> > installed this and the Places list now works exactly as you
> > describe.
> >
> > For Ubuntu Xenial users who are content to use backports the
> > maintainer's Web page is here:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~rosco2/+archive/ubuntu/backports
> >

> > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 21:16:06 -0500
> > "J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I saw on another e-mail that you are using version 4.2.2.  This
> > > might be a good reason to consider upgrading.  I am using version
> > > 4.2.5 and the narrated web report it generates appears to me to
> > > be what you want.  If you want to see an example from version
> > > 4.2.5, you can check out my family website at
> > > http://www.cridermcdowellfamily.com/genealogy/index.html There is
> > > still room for improvement (such as including the place type),
> > > but it is better than version 4.2.2.
> > >
> > > Allen Crider

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

paul womack
Gramps genealogist wrote:
> Thank you for this helpful suggestion, I have now changed those entries
> to number which makes more sense (fortunately I only had a few). I
> hadn't spotted that option and suppression of the comma matches the
> standard format of addresses

They could (of course) be found easily using the filter/regular expression:

^\d+$

   BugBear

Re: Full place hierarchy does not show in narrated Web site report

grampsgenealogist
Many thanks that's a handy regexp!