Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

enno
Recognize anything?

Sent: Monday, September 8, 2014 10:31 PM
Subject: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

Tamura Jones heeft een bericht gedeeld.
My Genesis Tree
#new #genealogy #web #freemium
Yet another online genealogy site. Strong emphasis on multimedia. Uses freemium model; basic account is free. Brand new, only 566 family histories yet.
afbeelding niet weergegeven
Genesis Tree
Genesis Tree

Je hebt deze melding ontvangen omdat Tamura Jones in een kring zat waarop je je had geabonneerd. Afmelden voor deze e-mails.
Privacytip: beveilig je gegevens. Verwijder de handtekening in je e-mail voordat je antwoordt.
Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA

Re: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

John Ralls-2

On Sep 8, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Recognize anything?

Snort. I thought Jones didn’t like Gramps. Maybe he didn’t recognize the screenshot.

I wonder what they’re (Genesis Tree, that is) are planning to do about support.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

enno
John,

> On Sep 8, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Recognize anything?

Weird indeed. I would expect him to recognize it, since Gramps is
mentioned in other places on his blog, so I bet he knows Gramps anyway.
> I wonder what they’re (Genesis Tree, that is) are planning to do about support.
Me too. I signed up with my standard password, and got a reaction
immediately. The owner sent me personal thanks for being the 1st person
to sign up. I think I'll ask him about that nice free software he shows
there, like how to download that, etc.

cheers,

Re: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

John,

> On Sep 8, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Recognize anything?

He should, see here:
http://www.tamurajones.net/DVDMediaSoftGenealogyResearchSoftware.xhtml

cheers,

Re: Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

The problem is maybe on :
http://mygenesistree.com/#about
http://mygenesistree.com/#collapseOne

I suppose it is the limit of GPL2.
But in this case, the GUI is re-used (desktop version), which seems to mean that the GPL2 is still valid?

Anyway, it is gramps even via a web interface ...
Not very fair to cut the header of the screenshot, where there is gramps name and did not put at least one reference!

Maybe we should re-contact rollapp[1] devel team?

[1] https://www.rollapp.com/

Recognize anything?

Re: Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

enno
Jerome,
The problem is maybe on :

I suppose it is the limit of GPL2.
But in this case, the GUI is re-used (desktop version), which seems to mean that the GPL2 is still valid?

Anyway, it is gramps even via a web interface ...
I have no idea what it is, because when I log in, I see no access to an on-line tree of any kind, nor any place to download it.

When the owner, Don Caldwell, sent me a welcome email, I told him that I subscribed to look around, and was curious about the free software, where I can download that. No reply yet.

Mother company is http://caldwellmediaassociates.com/, which looks one of many that try their luck in this area, mainly for business, not for genealogy, I think. Wikitree was also created by a marketeer and web designer, and is one of the few to have grown to become a somewhat important player.
Not very fair to cut the header of the screenshot, where there is gramps name and did not put at least one reference!
Indeed, and like Gramps being sold on eBay as mentioned in an old Tamura Jones article, this may be a new exploit that is on the edge of illegality.
Maybe we should re-contact rollapp[1] devel team?

In what way? Because he may run Gramps on-line with that? I like to check things first, or invite you all to sign up too.

regards,

Re: Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

Jerome,

I just logged on, and found a sample tree made with Joaktree Joomla
extension, see

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/living/personal-life/9842

where the site owner (Don Caldwell) posted a review too.

If that is used for the site, and Gramps is only linked to with proper
credits for screenshots etc., I don't see much of a problem here. It's
all US law anyway, so what do I have to say?

regards,

Re: Fw: Heeft een bericht gedeeld - "*My Genesis Tree* #new #genealogy #web #..."

Enno,

I do not have major issue with the copyrights on screenshot for gramps application and I take care of gramps-project's rules[1] as set on the wiki. I did no think on patent for GUI design or whatever copyrights violation for this screenshot!

Like you, I rather wonder what means "get free genealogy software with no limitations on how many people you can add", and " we provide genealogy software that is totally free no matter how many people are added to it. "

And why to use gramps as illustration?

If by "provide", it means "points to a download url for gramps", then it makes sense!!!

An other image[2] is maybe more confusing ...

I know that rollapp is able to run python/gtk3+/cairo applications into a "web interface". Never saw a gtk+/cairo application, which fits so well into a web page ...

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps:Copyrights
[2] http://mygenesistree.com/images/heritage4.jpg

Le Mardi 9 septembre 2014 14h03, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Jerome,
The problem is maybe on :

[...]

For fun, in France, some people might know "Donald Cardwell"[1]!

If you have a contact with "Roger Harth" too, then this could be a joke[2]... :-\

[1] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Cardwell
[2] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_th%C3%A9%C3%A2tre_ce_soir#Anecdotes

Le Mardi 9 septembre 2014 14h16, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Right. I'm still waiting for an answer, but I guess there will be a download link somewhere, and in that case, I assume that we're ok with a proper reference, meaning as I see it that Gramps is mentioned, and links are either made to our home page, or the download page. I would personally object to direct EXE downloads, to make sure that visitors get an up-to-date version of Gramps when they want to. Given that he has this Joaktree on the site, I bet he relies on GEDCOM uploads, no rollapp or anything.
An other image[2] is maybe more confusing ...
Yes, I wonder what that is, software wise. I don't recognize the icons on top, but they may be Joomla related too. The Gramps screenshot at the bottom is his own tree, visible elsewhere on the site, and on Geni too. I have a habit of checking people on the web when I don't trust something, but all signs tell me that he's a genuine genealogist, and most probably Gramps user. So, if he wants to advertize Gramps in the right context, it should be ok, right?

regards,