[Fwd: Call name]

Doug-11
Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.

In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.

Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:

/quote:

"Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?

Doug

endquote/

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Doug

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Espen Berg-2
2008/8/13 Doug <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
> archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.
>
> In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.
>
> Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:
>
> /quote:
>
> "Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
> If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?
>
> Doug
>
> endquote/
>
> Can someone enlighten me?

Hi Doug!
In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.

Espen

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Timothy Legge-3
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Espen Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/8/13 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
>> archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.
>>
>> In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.
>>
>> Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:
>>
>> /quote:
>>
>> "Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
>> If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> endquote/
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me?
>

> Hi Doug!
> In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
> same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
> wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.

Hi

I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.

Tim

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Doug-11
Timothy Legge wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Espen Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2008/8/13 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
>>> archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.
>>>
>>> In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.
>>>
>>> Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:
>>>
>>> /quote:
>>>
>>> "Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
>>> If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>
>>> endquote/
>>>
>>> Can someone enlighten me?
>>>
>> Hi Doug!
>> In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
>> same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
>> wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.
>>

> Hi
>
> I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
> always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
> formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.
>
> Tim

Oh dear, I'm even more confused!
Can one of the designers of the Person panel  tell us what he/she meant,
so we can use it properly; and where nicknames fit in?

Doug

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Thomas Weichmann
This has to do with some cultures having many names.  For instance many (if
not most) Germans have several names and they must legally select a "ruf
Name" (i think that is right, Germans please correct me).  So if my birth
certificate said Heinz Thomas Andreas Karl Weichmann, and my parents selected
my call name as Thomas, I would usually use that even though my legal name is
the whole long thing.

Again, not sure if I have the details right, but it is something similar to
that.

Tom W

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 07:26:55 am Timothy Legge wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Espen Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2008/8/13 Doug <[hidden email]>:
> >> Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
> >> archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.
> >>
> >> In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.
> >>
> >> Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:
> >>
> >> /quote:
> >>
> >> "Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
> >> If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?
> >>
> >> Doug
> >>
> >> endquote/
> >>
> >> Can someone enlighten me?
> >
> > Hi Doug!
> > In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
> > same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
> > wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.
>
> Hi
>
> I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
> always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
> formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.
>
> Tim

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

No, call name is not nick name, there are some older threads about this I remember vaguely.

It is needed for our German users, read http://www.rieperoots.com/MYPAGES/Names/customs.html :

"""Two names were usually given to a child at birth or baptism.  In Germany, the first name - what we often refer to as a given name - was a spiritual name, usually to honor a favorite saint.  The spiritual name was often used repeatedly in families.  The second name - what we now would refer to as a middle name - was a secular or call name, and was the name by which the person was known"""

So call name is something that is as official as the normal name, not some type of name (like birth-, marriage-, nick name).

If you have no German ancestry, you can use call name any way you like, and I suppose many use it for the nick name (eg Guisseppe know Guido and such). If you store many nick names, better make a new name type: Nick Name or use AKA, and use the Name tab in the person editor to store it. After all, official documents will normally not contain this nick name, so the primary interface does not need a specific space for it, the names tab is sufficient.

Note that my Dutch translation translates Also Known As as Call Name, so Dutch translation is also not very optimal in that respect.

Benny

2008/8/13 Timothy Legge <[hidden email]>
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Espen Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2008/8/13 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, I posted this a few days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the
>> archives, so I suppose it's another post that's got lost.
>>
>> In the Person Edit panel, 'Call Name' is unfamiliar to me.
>>
>> Sorry if it's a very elementary question, but:
>>
>> /quote:
>>
>> "Is "Call Name" American for what the British call "Nickname"?
>> If not, what is it? and how do you enter nicknames?
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> endquote/
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me?
>

> Hi Doug!
> In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
> same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
> wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.

Hi

I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.

Tim

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Brian Matherly
> > I took it to mean the name a person uses most often
> which is not
> > always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all
> but the most
> > formal/official settings but I do not consider it a
> nickname.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> Oh dear, I'm even more confused!
> Can one of the designers of the Person panel  tell us what
> he/she meant,
> so we can use it properly; and where nicknames fit in?

To give you some insight, first read the first section of this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_name#Forenames

Now that you have heard of a "rufname" and a "call name", read the following threads:

http://www.nabble.com/Callname-marking-to1455911.html
http://www.nabble.com/Summary-of-the-call-name-problem-to1482891.html

None of the problems described in those threads really apply to the culture I live in (nor to any of my ancestors that I know of so far). So none of it really applies to me.

If I want to enter a person with a nickname, I usually enter two names. I choose the most formal as the primary name. I add less formal names in the names tab on the person editor dialog.

So for example, if I had an ancestor named "Timothy" but has been called "Tim" and "Timmy" and "Tiny Tim", I would make "Timothy" the primary name. Then, I would add three more names on the name tab for the other names.

Then, I would associate the sources where I saw each name with the corresponding name so I could go back and double check it if I ever needed to.

~Brian

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Eero Tamminen-3

On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Thomas Weichmann wrote:
> This has to do with some cultures having many names.  For instance many
> (if not most) Germans have several names and they must legally select a
> "ruf Name" (i think that is right, Germans please correct me).  So if my
> birth certificate said Heinz Thomas Andreas Karl Weichmann, and my
> parents selected my call name as Thomas, I would usually use that even
> though my legal name is the whole long thing.

Finland has also a concept of "call names".  In Finland It's one of the fore
names that is selected (also by the parents I think) as being what you're
normally called by (I have two forenames, Eero & Tapio, but nobody uses
anything else than Eero).  Which of the fore names is the "call name"
should be indicated in official documents (e.g. by underlining).

> Again, not sure if I have the details right, but it is something similar
> to that.

        - Eero

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

OldAl
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:13:04 Benny Malengier wrote:

> No, call name is not nick name, there are some older threads about this I
> remember vaguely.
>
> It is needed for our German users, read
> http://www.rieperoots.com/MYPAGES/Names/customs.html :
>
> """Two names were usually given to a child at birth or baptism.  In
> Germany, the first name - what we often refer to as a given name - was a
> spiritual name, usually to honor a favorite saint.  The spiritual name was
> often used repeatedly in families.  The second name - what we now would
> refer to as a middle name - was a secular or call name, and was the name by
> which the person was known"""

Just to add a little confusion - there are a large number of variations.  It
has probably more to do with religion than nationality.  I am Australian,
born in Lithuania and a Roman Catholic.  AFAIK I have no Germans in my
ancestry. I was baptised "Petras Algimantas Kabaila". I might add that that
was more than 83 years ago.  My parents never called me "Petras", which some
of you will realise is a name from the Bible.  I was Algimantas,
Algimantelis, Algis, Algiukas and various derivatives and sometimes Al.

To simplify matters for the time when my meagre estate will be of direct
interest to the family I have adopted "Algis Kabaila" as my legal name
and "Al" as my nick, but I sign things like mailing lists by "OldAl".  And,
frankly, I don't think it is worth two figs what word we use to call - "Ruf
Name", "second name", "nick name" or whatever.

  Alas, many of my publications go under "A P Kabaila" name, as I signed it
like that when in Australia the rule was to have a "middle name" and most
people would have thought it was un-Australian to be different.  Ah, we were
so British then...

Kind regards and best of Irish luck whatever name you chose and how you call
it!

OldAl.

> So call name is something that is as official as the normal name, not some
> type of name (like birth-, marriage-, nick name).
>
> If you have no German ancestry, you can use call name any way you like, and
> I suppose many use it for the nick name (eg Guisseppe know Guido and such).
> If you store many nick names, better make a new name type: Nick Name or use
> AKA, and use the Name tab in the person editor to store it. After all,
> official documents will normally not contain this nick name, so the primary
> interface does not need a specific space for it, the names tab is
> sufficient.
>
> Note that my Dutch translation translates Also Known As as Call Name, so
> Dutch translation is also not very optimal in that respect.
>
> Benny
>

> 2008/8/13 Timothy Legge <[hidden email]>

> > > Hi Doug!
> > > In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
> > > same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
> > > wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
> > always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
> > formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.
> >
> > Tim

Dr Algis Kabaila (PhD Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis/

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Martin Ewing
This is an informative discussion.  I like to ask people what was Julius Caesar's first name.  (Gaius)

The main question for genealogical work must be identification, knowing who is parent to whom, etc.  So the names you would find on birth & death certificates, church records, etc. are very important, along with any commonly used "call" names.  Gramps provides for all this, although the phrase "call name" is not widely understood among the U.S. public, I think.  ("Nickname" would be, but that's not entirely the same thing.)

My complaint, if I have one, with gramps is that there seem to be different ways to do the same thing.  There is the "preferred name" including a "call name", which seems to be the baseline for identification, but an individual can have any number of alternative names, each with another "call name"!

Strangely, the alternative names can also have patronymics, but the preferred name cannot.  And there is work for the future: how about those Icelanders (?) whose "last names" may be patronymics with no family name, or people with one name ("Sting"), or Arabs who use a "kunya" -- the name of a son or daughter, e.g., "Abu Mazen". Etc.

I mostly have to deal with English and German names, but there some old Jewish names before there was a "family name".  (Some lines are "documented" back to Adam & Eve!) It is a puzzle how to deal with them in gramps.

Martin

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Algis Kabaila <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> official documents will normally not contain this nick name, so the primary
> interface does not need a specific space for it, the names tab is
> sufficient.
>
> Note that my Dutch translation translates Also Known As as Call Name, so
> Dutch translation is also not very optimal in that respect.
>
> Benny
>

> 2008/8/13 Timothy Legge <[hidden email]>

> > > Hi Doug!
> > > In the Norwegian translation, I assumed that the "Call Name" was the
> > > same as "Nickname" (which is the word I was used to).  If that is
> > > wrong, I would be happy to know to be able to correct the translation.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I took it to mean the name a person uses most often which is not
> > always a nick name.  For example, I go by Tim in all but the most
> > formal/official settings but I do not consider it a nickname.

Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Benny Malengier

2008/8/14 Martin, AA6E <[hidden email]>
[...]

You are mistaken a bit. Click on the edit icon after prefix in the Person editor, and you see the full name editor for the preferred name. You will see it can have a patronymic just as well.
Call name is indeed also part of the name editor, so a person can have more than one what is counterintuitive indeed. Perhaps this is for secret agent Bourne :-).

Note that you can switch a name in the name tab to the preferred name by right click and selecting to make it the preferred name

About people with no last name, you can indicate this, and in the name editor select a name grouping for the person so it does appear under the patronymic instead of under 'empty' family name in the people view.

I mostly have to deal with English and German names, but there some old Jewish names before there was a "family name".  (Some lines are "documented" back to Adam & Eve!) It is a puzzle how to deal with them in gramps.

Well, you should start with "Jahwe", then go from there with families. Just don't put the relation to birth, but  to 'creator' or something like that~

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Martin Ewing

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Strangely, the alternative names can also have patronymics, but the preferred name cannot. ...

You are mistaken a bit. Click on the edit icon after prefix in the Person editor, and you see the full name editor for the preferred name. You will see it can have a patronymic just as well.
Note that you can switch a name in the name tab to the preferred name by right click and selecting to make it the preferred name

About people with no last name, you can indicate this, and in the name editor select a name grouping for the person so it does appear under the patronymic instead of under 'empty' family name in the people view.

Thanks for the pointers.  There seem to be many features of gramps that are not obvious to a casual user.  Being able to edit the preferred name on the Person View and then also (in greater detail) to do the same thing in the Name Editor is not expected.

In the software world, we say RTFM.  I suppose that's a good idea in this case.

--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
Branford, CT

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Eero Tamminen-3

On Thursday 14 August 2008, Martin, AA6E wrote:

> This is an informative discussion.  I like to ask people what was Julius
> Caesar's first name.  (Gaius)
>
> The main question for genealogical work must be identification, knowing
> who is parent to whom, etc.  So the names you would find on birth & death
> certificates, church records, etc. are very important, along with any
> commonly used "call" names.  Gramps provides for all this, although the
> phrase "call name" is not widely understood among the U.S. public, I
> think. ("Nickname" would be, but that's not entirely the same thing.)
>
> My complaint, if I have one, with gramps is that there seem to be
> different ways to do the same thing.  There is the "preferred name"
> including a "call name", which seems to be the baseline for
> identification, but an individual can have any number of alternative
> names, each with another "call name"!

If person changes name (name change, marriage, move to another country
where the name is officially spelled (completely) differently etc), you have
to store it somewhere, that's what the alternatives are for.  I think the
most common way is to have the birth name as the preferred name, but I think
some have also the latest name of a person as the preferred name.

It's important to consider early which one you choose as prefferred one as
some reports show only preferred name[1] and it's a pain to change later.
I guess somebody could make a plugin that would mass-change names of
certain type to be the preferred ones, but there's no such thing now.

[1] your relatives might have opinions whether some report you give them
     "should" show birth or married/latest names...

        - Eero

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Duncan Lithgow-2
I really think we need to remove the 'Callname' field. It causes far
too much confusion. It should be a name type in the drop down menu
instead and _not_ translated.

Duncan

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Peter Landgren
Objection!

Then we need to invent another way of defining each persons "Callname"!
This feature is absolutely necessary for Swedish locale as well for others.

/Peter

> I really think we need to remove the 'Callname' field. It causes far
> too much confusion. It should be a name type in the drop down menu
> instead and _not_ translated.
>
> Duncan

Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671  94 Brunskog
SWEDEN

0570-530 21
070-635 4719
[hidden email]
skype:pgl4820.2

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Eero Tamminen-3

On Friday 15 August 2008, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> I really think we need to remove the 'Callname' field. It causes far
> too much confusion. It should be a name type in the drop down menu
> instead and _not_ translated.

Nick name is more like another (type of a) name.

(in Finland)
Call name is not a name type, but a property of one of the fore names. Each
of the person's official names are supposed to have one forename which is
his/her/its call name (the one that the other people are normally supposed
to use).

Another reason why callname cannot be another (type of a) name is that
forenames are supposed to be in a certain order i.e. you need to have
something like forenames="forename1 forename2" and something that
tells that callname="forename1".  How that is indicated in the UI, is there
a separate callname field that repeats the correct forename or whether
user can somehow visually indicate which of the forenames is the callname
is a separate matter.

        - Eero

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Peter Landgren
Hi,

> On Friday 15 August 2008, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > I really think we need to remove the 'Callname' field. It causes far
> > too much confusion. It should be a name type in the drop down menu
> > instead and _not_ translated.
>
> Nick name is more like another (type of a) name.
>
> (in Finland)
> Call name is not a name type, but a property of one of the fore names. Each
> of the person's official names are supposed to have one forename which is
> his/her/its call name (the one that the other people are normally supposed
> to use).
>
> Another reason why callname cannot be another (type of a) name is that
> forenames are supposed to be in a certain order i.e. you need to have
> something like forenames="forename1 forename2" and something that
> tells that callname="forename1".  How that is indicated in the UI, is there
> a separate callname field that repeats the correct forename or whether
> user can somehow visually indicate which of the forenames is the callname
> is a separate matter.
>
> - Eero

Agreed 100%. However, there are complications somtimes as the following
examples show:
One of my aunts had as fornames Clara Ulrika, but her official callname
(tilltalsnamn in Swedish) was Ulla.

My mother in law had as fornames  Anna Henrika Birgitta, but her official
callname was Brita.

So there should be a place to declare the callname, even when its not part
of the fornames.

/Peter

--
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen

0570-530 21
070-635 4719
[hidden email]
skype:pgl4820.2

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Doug-11
Hi Benny,
Picking you up on this -

Benny Malengier wrote:
> <snip>

> If you store many nick names, better make a new name type: Nick Name
> or use AKA, and use the Name tab in the person editor to store it.
> After all, official documents will normally not contain this nick
> name, so the primary interface does not need a specific space for it,
> the names tab is sufficient.
<snip>

How do you create a new Name Type? I'd like to create Type NickName but
seem to be able only to select from the range of pre-existing types in
Name Editor
Doug

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Benny Malengier

2008/8/18 Doug <[hidden email]>
Hi Benny,
Picking you up on this -

Benny Malengier wrote:
> <snip>

> If you store many nick names, better make a new name type: Nick Name
> or use AKA, and use the Name tab in the person editor to store it.
> After all, official documents will normally not contain this nick
> name, so the primary interface does not need a specific space for it,
> the names tab is sufficient.
<snip>

How do you create a new Name Type? I'd like to create Type NickName but
seem to be able only to select from the range of pre-existing types in
Name Editor

Where you select the types, just type something else, so type Nick Name
After save, you will be able to see it and select it from the drop down list

Benny

Doug

Re: [Fwd: Call name]

Doug-11
Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2008/8/18 Doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi Benny,
>     Picking you up on this -
>
>     Benny Malengier wrote:
>     > <snip>
>
>     > If you store many nick names, better make a new name type: Nick Name
>     > or use AKA, and use the Name tab in the person editor to store it.
>     > After all, official documents will normally not contain this nick
>     > name, so the primary interface does not need a specific space
>     for it,
>     > the names tab is sufficient.
>     <snip>
>
>     How do you create a new Name Type? I'd like to create Type
>     NickName but
>     seem to be able only to select from the range of pre-existing types in
>     Name Editor
>

> Where you select the types, just type something else, so type Nick Name
> After save, you will be able to see it and select it from the drop
> down list
>
> Benny

Thanks, Benny.

Doug