Fwd: How can I use older database?

Gee N
Hi,

I have installed today gramps 4.2.8 from Debian testing.

I have a harddisk from an older computer. I used Windows 10 and whatever version of gramps was available for windows at the time.

C/Users/g/AppData/Roaming/gramps$ ls -l
total 24
drwxrwxrwx 2 1003 501 4096 Dec 18  2013 env
drwxrwxrwx 3 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 gramps40
drwxrwxrwx 3 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 grampsdb
-rwxrwxrwx 1 1003 501  284 Dec 19  2013 recent-files-gramps.xml
drwxrwxrwx 2 1003 501 4096 Dec 18  2013 temp
drwxrwxrwx 4 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 thumb

I did not find a way to try to open this grampsdb from gramps.
I tried to copy this in my home as .gramps/ but my gramps does not read it.

The error message I receive is: The Family Tree you are trying to load is in the Bsddb version (6, 0, 20) format.
This version of Gramps uses Bsddb version (5, 3, 28). So you are trying to load data created in a newer format into an older program, and this is bound to fail.

What is the recommended way to open or import the work area of a few years old Gramps in Gramps 4.2.8?

In the documentation I have only seen export and then import - but I no longer have the working old Gramps to be able to create the export.

Cheers,

Re: Fwd: How can I use older database?

J. Allen Crider-2
It looks like you were probably running 4.0.x (where x is 0, 1, or 2).
I would consider installing an older Linux distribution from that time
frame in a virtual machine.  If the distribution you choose doesn't
include the appropriate version of Gramps, you can download older
versions of Gramps from
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases.  The table at
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Previous_releases_of_Gramps
shows release dates for all versions of Gramps.  Once you have a version
of Gramps that will read the database, open it and export it to a Gramps
XML file.  That could then be imported to a new tree in your current
version of Gramps.

If you don't want to use a virtual machine, you should be able to
install the older version of Gramps in a different location on your
current system, but you might have to be careful with paths when running it.

Allen Crider

On 06/11/2018 03:15 PM, Gee N wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed today gramps 4.2.8 from Debian testing.
>
> I have a harddisk from an older computer. I used Windows 10 and whatever
> version of gramps was available for windows at the time.
>
> C/Users/g/AppData/Roaming/gramps$ ls -l
> total 24
> drwxrwxrwx 2 1003 501 4096 Dec 18  2013 env
> drwxrwxrwx 3 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 gramps40
> drwxrwxrwx 3 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 grampsdb
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 1003 501  284 Dec 19  2013 recent-files-gramps.xml
> drwxrwxrwx 2 1003 501 4096 Dec 18  2013 temp
> drwxrwxrwx 4 1003 501 4096 Mar 18 11:34 thumb
>
> I did not find a way to try to open this grampsdb from gramps.
> I tried to copy this in my home as .gramps/ but my gramps does not read it.
>
> The error message I receive is: The Family Tree you are trying to load
> is in the Bsddb version (6, 0, 20) format.
> This version of Gramps uses Bsddb version (5, 3, 28). So you are trying
> to load data created in a newer format into an older program, and this
> is bound to fail.
>
> What is the recommended way to open or import the work area of a few
> years old Gramps in Gramps 4.2.8?
>
> In the documentation I have only seen export and then import - but I no
> longer have the working old Gramps to be able to create the export.
>
> Cheers,

Re: Fwd: How can I use older database?

If you have access to a Windows machine, attach the hard drive to it (probably need a usb to SATA dongle) and install Gramps AIO there.  Then use Gramps to export an XML and use that to load on to your Linux machine.

An alternate method is to try to upgrade your Linux box bsddb to a sufficiently recent version (something greater than 6, 0, 20).

And finally, you could zip up the entire grampsdb directory and send me a copy, I could create the XML for you.  This assumes that the total is not too large to email.
Note that grampsdb may contain multiple Family Trees, each in their own sub-directory, ideally you should only send the ones you are really interested in.  The name of each tree is in a 'name.txt' file within the individual sub-directories.

Paul C.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Gee N <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dropbox or Google Drive would also work.

[snip]