[Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
You see something wrong ?

-------- Message transféré --------
De: Laurent protois <[hidden email]>
Répondre à: [hidden email]
À: [hidden email]
Sujet: Re: [Gramps-users] 2.1.90 Release
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:15:41 +0200

Hi,

I am so glad (as Brad) that i could add new event types and attributes
in that release.So am i when i see the GREAT pedigree tree, Beautiful !

Globally, new release has a good look and there's good ideas in it,
List of couples (family), list of events, complet persons in green and
so on i have not seen yet.

I noticed some things which may cause problems :

Left banner :
1 -Repositories (dépôts in french)
   Where do you makes the difference in gramps with places ?

Persons Editor :
2 -"Maximise windows square" could be so cool in all boxes
   any one doesn't use KDE or GNOME ;-) (fluxbox for me)
3 -Old media size was better, now it too small ;-)

4 -Title and Suffix should be use completion as it was
   for places in actual version.
   
Acts Editor :
5 -Places completion is a must here !!!
   i have more than 40000 places in my databases ;-(
6 -Completion should be use on quite all fields
   here on "cause" and "description".

Persons List :
7 -Filters fields takes too much place near the list.
8 -Mark (Marque in french) : todo and complet ...
   could be useful on an event, but on an entire person ???
   i understood it means, birth and death dates are completed ???

For Jérome (french translator), only ;-) :
in events role : "Primaire" is a translation of "Primary", i supposed ?
i think "Principal" for a person is better here ;-)
i know "Primaire" could be better for some French ;-)))

Just a joke ! i am French !

Things i list could seem to be no significant,
but i doesn't have told my last word ;-)

Sorry for English ears and eyes
i hope you understand my text ;-)

Laurent Protois
 






-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Duncan Lithgow
On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 11:07 -0700, Laurent protois wrote:
> Left banner :
> 1 -Repositories (dépôts in french)
>    Where do you makes the difference in gramps with places ?
>
> Persons Editor :
> 2 -"Maximise windows square" could be so cool in all boxes
>    any one doesn't use KDE or GNOME ;-) (fluxbox for me)
> 3 -Old media size was better, now it too small ;-)
See my comments to 7.
>
> 4 -Title and Suffix should be use completion as it was
>    for places in actual version.
4 -Title and Suffix should use auto-completion as it was for places in
current version.

But title and suffix are so short, this would not really save any time.
On the other hand there would normally only be a handful of titles and
suffixes, so it shouldn't be a burden on gramps...
   
> Acts Editor :
Events editor:
> 5 -Places completion is a must here !!!
>    i have more than 40000 places in my databases ;-(
I'd have to agree there.

I've only just noticed all the extra clicks it's going to take me for
each new place...

> 6 -Completion should be use on quite all fields
>    here on "cause" and "description".
>
> Persons List :
> 7 -Filters fields takes too much place near the list.
Is there a special reason why the windows areas can't be resized by the
user?

> 8 -Mark (Marque in french) : todo and complet ...
>    could be useful on an event, but on an entire person ???
>    i understood it means, birth and death dates are completed ???
>

>
> Sorry for English ears and eyes
No problem.

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
Hi Duncan,
> 4 -Title and Suffix should use auto-completion as it was for places in
> current version.
>
> But title and suffix are so short, this would not really save any time.
> On the other hand there would normally only be a handful of titles and
> suffixes, so it shouldn't be a burden on gramps...
>  
Auto-completion is for me, more to normalize data
of each fields than to be quick,
it 's rather to avoid incoherence in the database.

If you try to make a filter on a field which never contains
exactly the same orthography for the same thing,
you will never have a good result ...
 
> > Acts Editor :
> Events editor:
> > 5 -Places completion is a must here !!!
> >    i have more than 40000 places in my databases ;-(
> I'd have to agree there.
>
> I've only just noticed all the extra clicks it's going to take me for
> each new place...
I have noticed since that you can approach a place by giving the initial
of the place, not so bad ...
But if you want to set a new place, how do you do now ?
>
> > 6 -Completion should be use on quite all fields
> >    here on "cause" and "description".
Completion on description for some events are so useful :
for example, for "occupation" events you set this in descriptions
and then it 's very useful to find the same occupation.
 
> > Persons List :
> > 7 -Filters fields takes too much place near the list.
> Is there a special reason why the windows areas can't be resized by the
> user?
that 's a good thing !!!

I have forgotten the real must :

Auto-completion on address events : City, Regions, Counties, Country
We have it, just use it !!!

Laurent



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Alex Roitman
On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 22:56 +0200, Laurent protois wrote:
> I have noticed since that you can approach a place by giving the initial
> of the place, not so bad ...
> But if you want to set a new place, how do you do now ?

In that case, you click the + icon in the event dialog,
not the "select" icon. An event can have only one place.
So if you don't have any place yet, there should be
two icons" "select" and "+". If you have a place already,
then it will be "select" and "-". So if you need to
replace an existing place reference with the new place,
first click "-" and then "-" becomes "+" so you can
click "+".

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
Hi,

Till testing 2.1.90 and i have a problem
when i save my database (.grdb) in xml one.

I have not this with small databases but on
mine it saved without problem as it seems.

but when i opened xml one it says it's corrupted
and load about 1400 occurrences instead 2500.

thanks
laurent


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.1.90 Release]

Alex Roitman
Laurent,

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 20:26 +0200, Laurent protois wrote:
> Till testing 2.1.90 and i have a problem
> when i save my database (.grdb) in xml one.
>
> I have not this with small databases but on
> mine it saved without problem as it seems.
>
> but when i opened xml one it says it's corrupted
> and load about 1400 occurrences instead 2500.

Can you send me the XML file?

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment