Quantcast

Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Ron Johnson

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] DNA and DNA kits
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:54:05 -0400
From: [hidden email] [hidden email]
To: Ron Johnson [hidden email]

+1 for FTDNA but there are several questions that Doug needs to address. This is not a Gramps issue since Gramps doesn't specifically support DNA. Several genealogy programs, Gramps included, will provide DNA recording and tracking but they provide little useful purpose other than recording. Generally, DNA "software" is well beyond the typical user and requires advanced understanding.

Y-DNA will track father to son (FTDNA), mtDNA tracks mother to daughter (FTDNA), auDNA may help find family relationships within 5-6 generations. All tests are reliable as are the major testing companies.

FTDNA will likely provide what you want. In addition FTDNA supports many surname, lineage and other projects that may be of interest (and more "stuff"). I administer two projects at FTDNA and they are my initial recommendation but there is no company that does it all. Take a look here for more info or send me an email and I will help if I can.

BobS

On 03/12/2017 11:18 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
Family Tree DNA has the most tools for comparing yours with other people's
DNA.  Also, it doesn't share/sell your DNA profile to other companies.

On 03/12/2017 08:26 AM, Doug wrote:
Hi,

I'm being pressured by my wife to have our DNAs determined
and I'm lost as to how to choose between the tests
available, how reliable the tests and firms offering the
service are, how informative the results might be and
whether and how they might tie in to any gramps records.

What's people's experience and what would they advise?

Doug

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Another big +1 for FTDNA.

I've tested 17 people so far, all on FTDNA, with the most recent sample being taken last week and on the way to the lab right now.

I tested two people a second time over at 23andMe, but in general I just prefer FTDNA's approach and openness regarding what they offer. So far I've stayed clear of Ance$try's DNA offerings, but maybe one of these days I'll try them as well.

But regardless of who you test with, I think the most important thing is being able to download your raw data. If you're doing autosomal testing (a.k.a. "Family Finder" on FTDNA), the exceptional www.GEDmatch.com site is a wonderful resource where you can upload raw DNA data and compare it on a granular level to others, even if the tests were processed by a different company.

I like FTDNA a lot as a testing company, but when it comes to comparing and analyzing autosomal DNA, I think it's hard to top GEDmatch.

And yes, I've long been eager to see some feature in Gramps that might allow for a more robust way of tracking autosomal, Y-DNA, and mtDNA between relatives and ancestors.

Peter

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Nick Hall
On 13/03/17 03:44, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
> And yes, I've long been eager to see some feature in Gramps that might
> allow for a more robust way of tracking autosomal, Y-DNA, and mtDNA
> between relatives and ancestors.

What DNA functionality would you like to see in Gramps?

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Hi Nick,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 13/03/17 03:44, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
>> And yes, I've long been eager to see some feature in Gramps that might
>> allow for a more robust way of tracking autosomal, Y-DNA, and mtDNA
>> between relatives and ancestors.
>>
> What DNA functionality would you like to see in Gramps?

I covered that somewhat in response to your poll back in November
2016. Here is my initial reply:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/POLL-Future-Gramps-development-td4677431.html#a4677433

And a quick followup:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/POLL-Future-Gramps-development-td4677431.html#a4677434

I don't really have much more to add to what I said then, though I can
think of all kinds of elaborate ways to illustrate triangulated DNA
for ancestors on a tree using autosomal DNA, but perhaps that's
getting beyond the scope of Gramps.

As maybe an overly streamlined example: person A and one branch of his
first cousins all share DNA matches on Chromosome 3. Person B is a
third cousin to all of those people, and shares some of those very
same matches on Chromosome 3. Hence, the only source for those matches
among those descendants on Chromosome 3 is an ancestral couple --
persons C and D.

Then on doing research on DNA sites like GEDmatch, you find a match
between your relatives and a random person that you don't know who
also matches on Chromosome 3 in the exact same place. Somehow, that
random person is also related to ancestral persons C and D. If you've
already tracked all of C and D's descendants, then at the very least,
you know that "your" people are related to this random person from
GEDmatch via ancestors C and D. That's very valuable information to
have.

Ultimately, using DNA for genealogical purposes is a big part of my
research and the whole process for me. It would be wonderful to see it
more tightly integrated into Gramps.

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Nick Hall
On 13/03/17 18:56, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
> Ultimately, using DNA for genealogical purposes is a big part of my
> research and the whole process for me. It would be wonderful to see it
> more tightly integrated into Gramps.

Firstly, we need a standard way of recording DNA data.  I suggest the
following:

Create an event with a type of "DNA Test" for each test.  Create a
source for each testing company and use the citation to record the test
kit ID.  The genetic markers can then be stored as attributes.  I
suggested this in the feature request:

8919: Add ability to record Genetic information eg: Haplogroup

Then we can think about how we want to display this information.

NdK

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

NdK
Il 14/03/2017 18:05, Nick Hall ha scritto:

> Create an event with a type of "DNA Test" for each test.  Create a
> source for each testing company and use the citation to record the test
> kit ID.  The genetic markers can then be stored as attributes.  I
> suggested this in the feature request:
Err... Much depends on the type of test. Some tests give you a ~700MB
data file. You don't want those in your db :)
Maybe a reference to an external file, like a media file?

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Nick Hall
On 14/03/17 17:24, NdK wrote:
> Err... Much depends on the type of test. Some tests give you a ~700MB
> data file. You don't want those in your db:)
> Maybe a reference to an external file, like a media file?

Although there are python bindings for samtools, I suggest we use
external tools to extract the relevant genetic markers.

https://github.com/samtools/samtools

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/03/17 18:56, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
>>
>> Ultimately, using DNA for genealogical purposes is a big part of my
>> research and the whole process for me. It would be wonderful to see it
>> more tightly integrated into Gramps.
>

> Firstly, we need a standard way of recording DNA data.  I suggest the
> following:
>
> Create an event with a type of "DNA Test" for each test.  Create a source
> for each testing company and use the citation to record the test kit ID.
> The genetic markers can then be stored as attributes.  I suggested this in
> the feature request:
>
> 8919: Add ability to record Genetic information eg: Haplogroup
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8919
>
> Then we can think about how we want to display this information.

That seems like a wonderful way to start. You've certainly got my vote.

I especially like the idea of genetic markers as attributes.

In terms of displaying, the ability to "see" which tested people in a
tree all share a certain marker would be wonderful. And to then "see"
via triangulation, which ancestors (or branch of ancestors) those
markers would have to have come from would be even more fantastic.

Anyhow, I greatly appreciate your feature request.

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Nick Hall
On 14/03/17 18:44, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
> Anyhow, I greatly appreciate your feature request.

I have written a simple gramplet to display Y-DNA test results. You can
find the files in the feature request.

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14/03/17 18:44, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:
>>
>> Anyhow, I greatly appreciate your feature request.
>>
> I have written a simple gramplet to display Y-DNA test results. You can find
> the files in the feature request.

Wow! I look forward to trying that! Thank you for your efforts!

I am able to download  dna.py and dna.gpr.py, but please forgive my
naive ignorance: which do I use and where do I put the file to use the
plugin in Gramps?

I'm running Gramps 4.2.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 (with Python 3 of course).

Many thanks,

Peter

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

manzi.sam

On 17 March 2017 at 12:43, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]> wrote:
here do I put the file to use the
plugin in Gramps?

Save the contents to your Gramps User Directory, in the gramps42/plugins folder

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=4.2_Addons#Manually_installed_Addons

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 March 2017 at 12:43, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> here do I put the file to use the
>> plugin in Gramps?
>

> Save the contents to your Gramps User Directory, in the gramps42/plugins
> folder
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=4.2_Addons#Manually_installed_Addons

Thank you -- and lastly, am I doing that with dna.py or with dna.gpr.py ?

Re: Fwd: Re: DNA and DNA kits

Peter (chamdo4ever)
I've now successfully installed the plugin, and I can see the DNA
gramplet on the right hand panel of Gramps -- what I don't know is how
to use it? Where is the Y-DNA information entered? How do I use the
gramplet to track Y-DNA?