Fwd: Re: How to enter adopted child.

Doug-11

As a simple soul with a (relatively) uncomplicated family history, can I thank all the people in this thread sincerely for their informative, exhaustive and recondite contributions to the topic?

It makes one appreciate yet again the value of the gramps mailing list.

Doug

On 23/10/2018 17:03, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:09:25 +0200
"Erik P. Olsen" [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Erik,

not sure how to enter this person. Is there a way to enter a child's
name as "unnamed"?
Only really applies to fore/personal name, IMO.  Most jurisdictions will
assign a family name based on their legal system's rules.

So, you can have Unnamed, No Name, Male, Female (etc. etc.) Surname.
I'd enter /something/ though - otherwise Gramps warns of an incomplete
name.  Personally, I prefer Male or Female to anything else, since they
can't really muck up the gender 'guessing' Gramps does.  That said,
Emyoulation's suggestion (name as they were recorded in family lore) has
merit.

In most jurisdictions, the child will usually be given the surname of
the father, but not always.  In the case of an unmarried couple the
surname of offspring will depend on several factors.  I can only speak
about English/Welsh rules, as I don't have good enough knowledge of any
others;  If the father attends the registration (thereby acknowledging
his paternity), his surname will be used.  If only the mother attends
the registration, her surname will be used.