Fwd: Relationship Graph missing lines

prculley
Developers;
We have had a lot of bug reports https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10028 on missing lines in Relationship (and other similar) Graph pdf output.  I have traced this back to using too small a size of paper (or too small multiple pages).  Somewhere in the pdf/postscript code a line size can get to be less than the minimum drawing width, and it rounds down to zero size.

I think I have a fairly good estimator that can determine a safe size (an exact determination would take two passes of the graph generation, one for 'natural' size, and one to actually graph to paper).  It doesn't have to be exact, there is quite a bit of room for error here.

I would like to deal with this in the Gramps code and can see a couple of possibilities;
1) Put up a warning to user if paper size may be too small, but graph it anyway.
2) Put up the warning that Gramps has automatically increased paper size (and do so).
3) Put up a dialog asking to automatically adjust size, or to leave it alone.
... more possibilities?

As this involves a Gui interaction, I am inviting discussion, per our governance guidelines.

P.S. There is also another paper size constraint for pdf/postscript; the total drawing dimension is limited to <200inch; an attempt to set sizes larger than this will also fail.  I have not spotted any bug reports on this, but we may want to deal with this at the same time.

Re: Fwd: Relationship Graph missing lines

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Paul,

Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to deal with this in the Gramps code and can see a couple of
> possibilities;
> 1) Put up a warning to user if paper size may be too small, but graph it
> anyway.
> 2) Put up the warning that Gramps has automatically increased paper size
> (and do so).
> 3) Put up a dialog asking to automatically adjust size, or to leave it
> alone.
> ... more possibilities?

4) Make thicker lines in such cases?

Best regards,
Oliver

On 20/04/18 21:45, Paul Culley wrote:
> As this involves a Gui interaction, I am inviting discussion, per our
> governance guidelines.

Yes.  It is important to discuss these issues on the list.

There is already a comment in the troubleshooting section of the howto
relating to bad resolution.

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Howto:_Make_a_relationship_chart#Troubleshooting