GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

Chris Wood
A Gramps GED export imported into an Android tree viewer gives this error: XREF ID begins with @ sign but is not terminated with one

and refers to this line:

0 @Jean Hovey 1961@ OBJE

which refers to a media file. Another tool gives a similar error.

I'm guessing that the embedded spaces are causing the problem. If so, where does the error lie - is it an export or import error, or my fault for naming something with embedded spaces in the first place?

I'm using Gramps 5.0.1.

Chris Wood

Re: GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 21/01/2020 07:47, Chris Wood wrote:
> I'm guessing that the embedded spaces are causing the problem. If so,
> where does the error lie - is it an export or import error, or my
> fault for naming something with embedded spaces in the first place?

It depends on the Gedcom version.

In 5.5.1, spaces are valid in a pointer, but the first character must be
alphanumeric.

In 5.5.5, all characters in a pointer must be alphanumeric.

Re: GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

Ron Johnson
On 1/21/20 7:19 AM, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 21/01/2020 07:47, Chris Wood wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the embedded spaces are causing the problem. If so,
>> where does the error lie - is it an export or import error, or my fault
>> for naming something with embedded spaces in the first place?
>>
> It depends on the Gedcom version.
>
> In 5.5.1, spaces are valid in a pointer, but the first character must be
> alphanumeric.
>
> In 5.5.5, all characters in a pointer must be alphanumeric.

Who decided that breaking backwards compatibility was a Good Idea?

Re: GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

GRAMPS - User mailing list

5.5.5 is a 2019 publication from Tamura Jones. His self declaration that it is officially the new version is a bit... controversial.

5.5.1 was the last release from the LDS that wasn't marked as a 'draft'. It is more than 20 years old in an industry where 2 years is the accepted duration of the normal 'generation'

Gramps strives to read other non-standard variants of GEDcom with cross-compatibilty problems too.

-Brian

>On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>On 1/21/20 7:19 AM, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:
>>

>> It depends on the Gedcom version.
>>
>> In 5.5.1, spaces are valid in a pointer, but the first character must be alphanumeric.
>>
>> In 5.5.5, all characters in a pointer must be alphanumeric.
>
>Who decided that breaking backwards compatibility was a Good Idea?

Re: GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

The spaces in the @Jean Hovey 1961@ are the issue.  I expect that you have been putting the name into the 'ID' field in the Media Editor, instead of using the usual "O1234" default numbering.  Gramps uses the contents of that field for the GEDCOM XREF unchanged.  I expect very few people ever use customized IDs like this.

While the GEDCOM spec theoretically allows spaces in these XREFs, common practice rarely has them so the GEDCOM reading software may not be able to deal with them.  I would not be surprised if Gramps could not read it either (untested).

I suppose we could file a bug on Gramps for allowing the spaces in that field to propagate to the GEDCOM XREF.

If you want to export a more readable GEDCOM, while preserving the IDs, make a copy of your tree (export to Gramps XML, and import into a new temporary tree), then run the "Tools/Family Tree Processing/Reorder Gramps IDs..." tool to replace the media IDs with standard ones.  Then export that to GEDCOM.

Paul C.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:50 AM Chris Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
A Gramps GED export imported into an Android tree viewer gives this error: XREF ID begins with @ sign but is not terminated with one

and refers to this line:

0 @Jean Hovey 1961@ OBJE

which refers to a media file. Another tool gives a similar error.

I'm guessing that the embedded spaces are causing the problem. If so, where does the error lie - is it an export or import error, or my fault for naming something with embedded spaces in the first place?

I'm using Gramps 5.0.1.

Chris Wood

Gramps Versions

jjefferies

Hi,
Newbie here. I run the latest version of Open Suse Linux, 15.1.
The version of Gramps that is downloadable from my repositories
is 4.2.1.  and I note that the latest and greatest release is 5.1.2.

Is that enough of a difference in versions to create compatibility
issues or is the difference just enhancements?

Best regards
J.Jefferies

Re: Gramps Versions

Colin Spiller

Hi

As I understand it, there is a significant difference in the database format between 4.x and 5.x

As always, make sure you have an up-to-date backup before installing the new version. When 5.1 encounters a version 4 database it will convert it to the new format so that it is no longer compatible with Gramps 4.

Information about changes between the various versions is available in several places on the gramps-project.org website, but see especially https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Previous_releases_of_Gramps

Colin

On 21/01/2020 18:29, jjefferies wrote:

Hi,
Newbie here. I run the latest version of Open Suse Linux, 15.1.
The version of Gramps that is downloadable from my repositories
is 4.2.1.  and I note that the latest and greatest release is 5.1.2.

Is that enough of a difference in versions to create compatibility
issues or is the difference just enhancements?

Best regards
J.Jefferies

Colin Spiller

Re: GED export produces import error XREF ID not terminated error in other tool

Chris Wood
Hi Paul,
I'm away from my computer for a few weeks so can't check exactly what I've done but I expect you're right. I'll check this out when I get back. If I'd really understand how this field was used I'd not have used it like this.

But inadvertent as it may be, from what Nick says, it shouldn't actually have caused a problem. The GEDCOM file does identify itself as version 5.5.1 so it should have been OK - it's the Android tool that is in error.

Chris

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 02:09, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Gramps Versions upgrading

jjefferies

Thinking of upgrading/installing by hand the latest version of Gramps i.e. 5.1.2
into OpenSuse Linux 15.1. I find Gramps requirements are:

For Gramps_version 5.1.1 (5.1.2 does not show requirements) in page
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Previous_releases_of_Gramps

Python 3.3+ only
GTK 3.12+
SQLite3 (Default backend)
BSDDB 3 (Legacy backend)

While my Suse install has:
Python 3.6.10
GTK-3: 3.22.30
SQLite3-0: 3.28.0
BSDDB3:  python3-bsddb3 6.2.5

which provides a little bit of confusion. Specifically what is meant by
Python 3.3+ only?  Greater than or equal to 3.3?? And would a manual
upgrade be simply changing the /usr/bin/gramps Python script?

thanks and best regards
J.Jefferies

On 1/21/20 10:29 AM, jjefferies wrote:

Hi,
Newbie here. I run the latest version of Open Suse Linux, 15.1.
The version of Gramps that is downloadable from my repositories
is 4.2.1.  and I note that the latest and greatest release is 5.1.2.

Is that enough of a difference in versions to create compatibility
issues or is the difference just enhancements?

Re: Gramps Versions

Sebastian Schubert

> I'm not an Opensuse user, but the Gramps entry on Opensuse (
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/gramps ) indicates that Gramps
> 4.2.8 is the latest for  openSUSE Leap 15.1 .  They also show that for
> openSUSE Tumbleweed Gramps 5.1.1 is the latest version.

> Opensuse mentions that
> "The most recent version can usually be installed from the 'openSUSE
> BuildService - GNOME:Apps' repository"
> Does this information help you ?

Thanks, Sam. Indeed, one can find the packages from the Build Service
when clicking on "Show experimental packages" on
https://software.opensuse.org/package/gramps . This offers 5.1.1 on
GNOME:Apps and I will submit 5.1.2 for review later today. Note that the
packages under "Show community packages" are not reviewed by openSUSE staff.

Cheers
Sebastian

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 05:32, jjefferies <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     Newbie here.I run the latest version of Open Suse Linux, 15.1.
>     The version of Gramps that is downloadable from my repositories
>     is 4.2.1.  and I note that the latest and greatest release is 5.1.2.
>
>     Is that enough of a difference in versions to create compatibility
>     issues or is the difference just enhancements?
>
>     Best regards
>     J.Jefferies
>     <[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Gramps Versions upgrading

Harvey Nimmo
I use Gramps 5.0/SQLite3 on OpenSuse 15.1. The OpenSuse distro includes Python 2 and Python 3. Python 3.6. is current, so you should have no difficulties with it.
It works fine for me and the upgrade worked totally trouble free. You must just remember to select database type 'SQLite' for your new tree in the Manage Family Trees dialog before you import
the tree.

Cheers
Harvey

On Tue, 2020-01-21 at 16:10 -0800, jjefferies wrote:

[...]

While trying to manually install Gramps 5.1.1 I found that
        python(abi) = 3.7 is needed by gramps-5.1.1-1.1.noarch
        typelib(GeocodeGlib) = 1.0 is needed by gramps-5.1.1-1.1.noarch
So it looks like in order to use Gramps 5.1.1 I would need
to install the latest Suse Linux Tumbleweed.
GeocodeGlib is
available just not previously installed. But the python upgrade
appears to be a deal breaker for running Gramps 5.1.1 in
OpenSuse Leap 15.1

best regards
J.Jefferies

On 1/21/20 4:10 PM, jjefferies wrote:

[...]

you don't need Python 3.7. Just use the package from the GNOME:Apps
repository. In order to do that please add the following repository

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/

Gramps 5.1.2 will be available soon.

Cheers
Sebastian